Mille Crêpes a Very Special Cake

Would you happen to be looking for a very special cake for a very special occasion? This is that cake. I know it does not have a speck of chocolate in it but once you taste this you may not care. This cake is tender, rich and creamy. I discovered it two summers ago on Ivonne’s blog Cream Puffs in Venice. I have made this cake twice now and each time it is presented, I practically get a standing ovation, it is that beautiful. Don’t be put off that this cake takes about two days to make and put together, it is worth the wait. You will have to plan ahead as this cannot be made last minute for tonight’s dinner party. Do give this one a try in your own kitchen or you can order one from Lady M’s but it will set you back a wee bit.

Notes I Took While Making This Cake

1. If I never make this cake again, this is the best crepe recipe I have ever made and tasted. So tender and buttery.

2. To make the crepes, I used 2 non-stick skillets measuring 9 inches in the bottom. This made the process go faster. I used a 1/3 cup dry measuring cup full of batter per crepe. This recipe made about 23 crepes. Store crepes between layers of wax paper wrapped well in the refrigerator until ready to use up to one week or one month in the freezer. I do not flip my crepes when making, they will cook through just fine on one side. This will prevent breakage and burning your fingers.

3. I also added 1/4 tsp. (never more!) Fiori di Sicilia “Flowers of Sicily” to the pastry cream. If you use this watch your measurements closely, it is very strong and it stains too. Keep in refrigerator once opened.

4. I did not add kirsch to the heave cream in the 3rd part of the recipe. I added 1 tsp. vanilla. I also added one packet Dr. Oetker’s “Whip It” Stabilizer while whipping the cream. I swear by that stuff. That’s the only time I swear. I swear.

5. I did not caramelize the top of the cake. Well I did once and it did not work out for me. But I did look cool holding a big ole torch, not those wimpy ones, the real industrial ones. I left the welders mask off though.

6. To plate, blend one jar seedless raspberry jelly with one tablespoon hot water. Stir until smooth. May have to heat a bit in the microwave. Place sauce in a squeeze bottle to make pretty dots or swirls on each dessert plate. Top with a slice of cake and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Decorate with a sprig of mint.

7. I found the best way to cut this cake is straight down with a very sharp knife. Do not saw or use a serrated knife.

For the Mille Crêpes recipe go HERE.

Tomorrow in BRK- Ma is back with some Southern cookin’. Not Southern Italy folks, Southern US of A. Ya’ll don’t want to miss it.

1. Melissa
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 8:31 AM | Permalink

I was just thinking about this cake the other day. Its deliciously scrumptious!

2. Joan Nova
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 8:40 AM | Permalink

What a great presentation — and I guess the fillings and flavors are endless. Hey, when your ‘ma’ is visiting why don’t you work on a southern dish together and ‘meet’ me in the south when A Culinary Tour Around the World gets there.

3. Half Baked
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 9:09 AM | Permalink

Beautiful cake!

4. Peter M
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 9:35 AM | Permalink

I remember when Ivonne made this masterpiece…good eye and skill you have!

5. pigpigscorner
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 9:54 AM | Permalink

wow looks amazing! Can’t wait to try this!

6. Rachael
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 10:46 AM | Permalink

Great looking cake!

I apprecicate that you added the notes….it’s hard when you are making a new recipe and don’t know what to expect! These notes would be very helpful!

I will add this recipe to my “want to make it” file 🙂

7. RecipeGirl
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 11:26 AM | Permalink

This is such a cool specialty dessert! Would make a great challenge for the Daring Bakers too.

8. Jen
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 11:27 AM | Permalink

So unique and a great presentation! Looks worth the wait to me 🙂

9. Dawn
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 12:59 PM | Permalink

What a fun dessert! Reminds me of making homemade (from scratch) manicotti.
    I bet it does does buttery!

10. Marysol
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 1:06 PM | Permalink

Robin, your cake couldn’t possibly look more delicious, or ethereal in its appearance!
    And thanks for the tip about Fiori di Sicilia. I have never heard of that flavoring.

11. Sheila
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 2:22 PM | Permalink

Wow, I can’t believe you have only made this cake twice. It is fabulous tasting and looking, simply fabulous darling!

12. That Girl
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 2:39 PM | Permalink

I love how the cake plate mimics the waves of the crepes. Completely intentional on your part I have no doubt.

13. Karen
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 2:56 PM | Permalink

I have never heard of this cake, but it’s just beautiful.

14. Tanya
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 3:58 PM | Permalink

That looks so good! I must try this sometime. Beautiful!

15. Grace
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 7:00 PM | Permalink

i’ll be lucky if i ever successfully make one crepe, much less enough to make a cake! 🙂
    and bring on the southern!

16. Laura
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 8:58 PM | Permalink

There are dishes I see or read about that I think I must make that immediately. Then there are dishes I see that I think I REALLY want someone to make that for me! I think this might fall into the latter category–all those layers! But wow is it pretty and oh my does it look good.

17. noble pig
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 9:05 PM | Permalink

Wow. This is so unique, I’ve never seen anything like this. I would love to try it!

Thank you!

18. Kevin
    Posted January 15, 2009 at 10:29 PM | Permalink

What a great idea for a cake! It looks really good!

19. nicisme
    Posted January 19, 2009 at 12:25 PM | Permalink

Very beautiful, and I love to see your pancakes are so thin, just like the British ones!

20. Anonymous
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 4:05 AM | Permalink

Tips on cutting the cake: Soak knife in hot water before cutting it.