Rice Pudding

Puddings are generally overlooked. It is not like they are on high end restaurant menus, unless it is some type of bread pudding topped with some spectacular bourbon sauce. One will mostly see puddings in a cafeteria or diner, we always had them in the dessert display at the diner I worked. I grew up eating pudding. Ma made hers mostly from scratch, our favorites being tapioca or rice. To get extra calories and nutrition in us, she often snuck an egg in there too, making them more rich and custard like.

Pudding to me is a comforting dish. I am known for serving Rice Pudding this time of year to dinner guests. Shocking isn’t it? Such a simple dessert for guests? Let me tell you it is a show stopper served in a huge bowl still warm topped with cinnamon or nutmeg, maybe even a dollop of fresh whipped cream. People mmm, mmm their way to the bottom of their bowl and talk of a grandma’s or an auntie’s meals gone by. Puddings can do that you know. We all look at each other and wonder why we don’t make it more often. I was approached last week by a friend and she asked that the next time I make my Rice Pudding could I give her some. No problem. I made a double batch as I knew my family would like some too.

THE SECRET TO GOOD PUDDING

To make a good pudding it must be slow cooked. Patience is key to its success. I have been known to always burn the first batch as I always tried to rush it. Most of my recipe cards for this requested recipe read, “Burn first batch then proceed again.” So be patient and cook it low and slow. Another helpful tool is a heavy Dutch oven. Other pots work but the Dutch oven distributes the heat better and decreases the chance of scorching. Also keep it moving. That means to stir it frequently, not constantly, just very frequently. If you do happen to scorch it a bit, as some has now stuck to the bottom of your pot, do not scrape it. Simply pour the entire batch into another pot and continue cooking it in the new pot. Hopefully you have caught it soon enough!

Rice Pudding
1 cup rice- I used Jasmine
5 cups whole milk
2 cups half and half
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

In a large heavy pot or Dutch oven over med high heat bring rice, milk, half and half, and salt to a gentle boil. This will take some time, don’t rush it. Lower heat to low and simmer for 40 minutes until thickened. Do not cover. Remember to stir frequently from start to finish to prevent sticking, clumping, scorching and causing that thick film to form on top. If a skin does happen to form, simply skim it off with a spoon. Remove from heat and add sugar and vanilla. Stir well. Place in pretty serving bowl and serve warm or place covered with plastic wrap to cool in refrigerator. When ready to serve sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon. Serves 6-8. We love it served warm.

Hint- To prevent a “skin” from forming on your pudding while it cools, cover with plastic wrap being sure the plastic is directly on the surface of the pudding and that no air bubbles between the pudding and wrap are present.

1. Linda
    Posted January 12, 2009 at 11:33 AM | Permalink

We love rice pudding and usually have it out at the local Greek restaurant. I haven’t made it in a long time. My daughter will be home for the weekend and she and her dad love this…you inspired me to cook up a batch! Your picture is making me want a nice comforting spoonful!

2. Sheila
    Posted January 12, 2009 at 11:40 AM | Permalink

Rice pudding, it does conger up memories. I remember having this in third grade as part of some cultural celebration. Also my oldest sister would make rice simmered in milk for breakfast sometimes. I loved it!

Y0ou always have great recipes.

3. Megan
    Posted January 12, 2009 at 11:52 AM | Permalink

I have been wanting to make rice pudding for a while now. I’ve never had it before but it seems like the perfect comfort treat during chilly winter months. This recipe looks great-thanks for sharing!

4. HoneyB
    Posted January 12, 2009 at 12:51 PM | Permalink

my mom always made a baked custardy rice pudding. I never cared for it much. Your way looks creamy and yummy! I may have to try this!

5. Karen
    Posted January 12, 2009 at 1:18 PM | Permalink

Mmm, I have been thinking of making my grandmother’s Portuguese Rice Pudding! I can tell there’s going to be a blog-rush on rice pudding! Everybody will be making it! LOL

6. Joie de vivre
    Posted January 12, 2009 at 1:40 PM | Permalink

Rice pudding is my favorite dessert, but only my mother shares my passion. The skin is the best part, why would you want to prevent it? 🙂

Don’t worry about wimping on the Leek Soup Weekend. I did too. 🙂

7. That Girl
    Posted January 12, 2009 at 2:27 PM | Permalink

I don’t know if I have the patience for pudding!

8. Grace
    Posted January 12, 2009 at 2:33 PM | Permalink

i’m the most impatient person on the planet, which may explain why i’ve never particularly warmed up to pudding. i’d give yours a chance…if you made it for me and i didn’t have to wait for it. 🙂

9. Ingrid
    Posted January 12, 2009 at 2:45 PM | Permalink

MMMM, I haven’t had rice pudding in forever. My grandma made it but she added raisins which I picked out!
    ~ingrid

10. noble pig
    Posted January 12, 2009 at 2:51 PM | Permalink

I have burned many a batch of rice pudding out of impatience! It just doesn’t seem like it’s doing anything and then it’s burnt. I’ll have to take your advice.

11. Mari at Once Upon a Plate
    Posted January 12, 2009 at 3:14 PM | Permalink

Yum, Robin Sue! It looks soo good.

Making it with Jasmine rice it a brilliant idea. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

12. Anonymous
    Posted January 12, 2009 at 6:08 PM | Permalink

I got this same recipe from my MIL. To prevent burning it she would preheat the milk/cream before adding the other ingredients. Then cook it in a double boiler. No scorch or burn!
    Your MIL.

13. Peter M
    Posted January 12, 2009 at 10:01 PM | Permalink

Ummm, the jasmime rice must make this sublime.

14. Kate
    Posted January 12, 2009 at 11:34 PM | Permalink

I so love a good, warm, rice pudding. There is nothing more comforting, and you’re right — everyone is surprised and delighted when they are served homemade rice pudding.

I’ve always made a variety that is oven baked, so fortunately I’ve never burnt a batch, but that’s not due to any talent of mine, I assure you. I just stumbled on the baked type in my youth and stuck to it!

15. biz319
    Posted January 13, 2009 at 12:00 AM | Permalink

My daughter loves all things pudding: rice pudding, bread pudding, vanilla pudding, and tapioca pudding!

I am going to have her make this over the weekend and do a guest post!

16. Theresa
    Posted January 13, 2009 at 8:31 AM | Permalink

mmm, I love rice pudding. I haven’t had it in a long time. Thanks for the reminder to make.

Posted January 13, 2009 at 2:46 PM | Permalink

Hi everyone! This post has brought back so many memories I see. I do remember my MIL making rice pudding for us after we had our first baby and I did see her make it in a double boiler- see I quickly I forget. Thanks for the reminder Mom.

Kate- I have never heard of a baked version other then one called Suman I got from my Filipino co-worker.

While in Germany a lady would make a big pot of unsweetened rice pudding for her children and they would add their own apple sauce to sweeten it. It was delicious that way!

18. Anonymous
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 2:03 PM | Permalink

this recipe needs so much more rice than called for. 1 cup would make it soup as I noticed when making it. I sounded like way too much liquid for that much rice. I added 2 more cups rice and it came out perfect.