Roasted Cauliflower

As soon as I came across thekitchn.com’s post about Roasted Cauliflower I knew right away that I wanted to make some. At Christmas my brother roasted some broccoli and it was fantastic. So nutty and I loved the brown crunchy parts the best. Then thekitchen made their cauliflower look so delicious, I knew it was time to make some for myself. Yesterday I did just that, roasted some really nice cauliflower in a generous splash of olive oil, dash of Kosher salt, and plenty of fresh black pepper. I roasted mine in a fast oven, about 450 degrees for about 35-40 minutes. Check out the link above to thekitchn’s Cauliflower post for some great recipe suggestions. It is nice that something so delicious is so very simple.

What is your favorite roasted vegetable?

1. Rindy R
    Posted January 28, 2009 at 8:43 AM | Permalink

Great minds think alike! I did a roasted veggie post today as well. I guess the weather is making us want to warm our tummies! This looks delicious!

2. pigpigscorner
    Posted January 28, 2009 at 9:09 AM | Permalink

For me, roasted peppers (the red ones)! I’ve never tried roasted brocolli nor cauliflower before…will try it!

3. EAT!
    Posted January 28, 2009 at 9:58 AM | Permalink

Oooooh a family favorite at our house. Try tossing cauliflower in olive oil, seasoned breadcrumbs, and parmesan cheese – makes a great dish even better.

4. Peter M
    Posted January 28, 2009 at 10:24 AM | Permalink

I love cauliflower and have no idea as to why I haven’t roasted them yet!

5. Dawn
    Posted January 28, 2009 at 10:30 AM | Permalink

Sue I was laughing so hard at your last comment on my blog–thanks!
    I love roasted red peppers; I eat a ton during the week: with eggs, with toast, with cheese, oh with everything.

6. biz319
    Posted January 28, 2009 at 12:46 PM | Permalink

I recently saw a recipe for roasted cauliflower, but they were tossed in buttered bread crumbs – it looked amazing!

I’ve made cauliflower au gratin before and it tasted like mac n cheese.

However, when my husband was low carbing it, I found a recipe for mashed cauliflower that was tauted to taste just like mashed potatoes.

That was a disaster!

7. Grace
    Posted January 28, 2009 at 1:15 PM | Permalink

although i do love roasted cauliflower (and peppers, onions, and carrots), i think my favorite is squash. good stuff. 🙂

8. schvin
    Posted January 28, 2009 at 1:17 PM | Permalink

roasted cauliflower is a favorite standby…

also like to mix in a small amount of panko, and when it is a couple minutes from being done, quickly grate some cheese on it – delicious!

it is also good if you put it in little rammekins half way through and add panko/cheese on top – it crusts up quite nicely and is appealing to the eye.

9. Joie de vivre
    Posted January 28, 2009 at 1:18 PM | Permalink

I don’t think roasting and barbequing are the same, but they achieve the same end right? On that note, I LOVE barbequed okra. Oh man, the slight char with the mucus-y inside…mmmm.

Thanks for your comments on my blog (as always). No, I am not French (which is why these French eating habits are so novel for me). My dad was in the Navy and I grew up all over the U.S. When I was in high school, I did a mini exchange and lived with a French family for a month. Why I love Mireille Guilano’s voice so much is that she reminds me of my French “mother”. In college, I also had the opportunity to study art history in Rome for a month and just fell in love with the European way of eating (although I eat dinner at 6pm)

Your comment about not being out of breath got me thinking. My hubby and I were touring local schools as we’re deciding where to send our son next year. We toured one two story school where our tour guide was completely out of breath after climbing to the second floor. I could relate to her as this used to be me, but I also felt sorry for her as this is a normal part of her day (having to climb those stairs) and how much effort it takes for her to climb them. I tucked the memory of her away in my “bag of motivators” for someday when I don’t want to go for my walk.

This is the longest comment ever, but I love your blog and I love your comments on mine so I’m not really sorry for making it so long! 🙂

10. Karen
    Posted January 28, 2009 at 1:29 PM | Permalink

Isn’t it amazing how much roasting cauliflower changes the taste? It goes from blah to Bam! (Sorry – channeling Emeril there for a moment). I roasted some a while back and made soup with it. I love any veggie roasted: asparagus, bell peppers, onions, zuchinni… the list goes on and on!

Posted January 28, 2009 at 2:09 PM | Permalink

Eat! -that sounds wonderful that way, will have to try, thanks!

Biz319- oh I have done the mashed cauliflower in place of mashed potatoes, yuck! It did not pass in my house!

schvin- I will try that too some time. I like the ramekin idea too, looks so nice that way.

Joie- And I thought I was the only one to like okra. I like it many ways, just had it in an Indian dish and it was to die for. Sounds like you have had some really nice experiences growing up. Wow to study in Rome had to be huge fun. We don’t like to eat late either. Thanks for the comment, i like long ones, it is a good way to get to know eachother!

Karen- yes I do remember you made soup with the the roasted cauliflower. I will have to try that some time, it does add a depth of flavor.

12. That Girl
    Posted January 28, 2009 at 2:41 PM | Permalink

My favorite would have to be roasted broccoli. It always ends up on the table somehow.

13. Girl Fisher
    Posted January 28, 2009 at 3:53 PM | Permalink

I love roasted cauliflower and broccoli tossed in olive oil, salt, pepper, minced garlic and parmesan cheese prior to roasting.

14. Linda
    Posted January 28, 2009 at 5:11 PM | Permalink

I love roasted broccoli and cauliflower. BUT my all time FAVORITE is roasted asparagus.
    I lay the spearsin one layer on a small baking pan that has been sprayed with PAM. Drizzle lightly with Extra Virging Olive Oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pop into a 400 degree oven and roast until tender. Very simple! To kick it up a little, about half way into the roasting, sprinking with chopped garlic or shallots.

Posted January 28, 2009 at 5:32 PM | Permalink

That Girl- I think broccoli is your fav, right?

Girl Fisher- Great suggestion!

Linda- I do love roasted asparagus too. My mom sprinkles with a little sugar too to help caramelize, very nice!

16. Kate
    Posted January 28, 2009 at 6:22 PM | Permalink

Roasted Cauliflower is by far my favorite roasted veggie. I suppose because it’s white and not much color, but I don’t understand why more restaurants don’t offer it or serve it. It’s like candy when it’s roasted well.

17. Laurie
    Posted January 28, 2009 at 9:32 PM | Permalink

My favorite roasted vegetable is asparagus, but broccoli and cauliflower are up high on the list too.

Your jalapeno popper dip does look awesome. Congrats on being a finalist in Noble Pig’s Superbowl Contest. And good luck!

18. Rachael
    Posted January 28, 2009 at 9:58 PM | Permalink

This is a favorite in our house!
    In fact, it is the only vegetable that the my middle son will eat (besides the basic raw carrots).

We also roast broccoli and asparagus all the time….I could eat a whole pan:-) I am firmly convinced that’s the best way to eat veggies:-)

19. Sara
    Posted January 29, 2009 at 12:54 AM | Permalink

LOVE roasted vegetables – my favorites are butternut squash, cauliflower, zucchini and fennel.

20. noble pig
    Posted January 29, 2009 at 2:58 AM | Permalink

Funny but this is exactly what i made for dinner. Roasted is the only way to go.

21. Theresa
    Posted January 29, 2009 at 7:59 AM | Permalink

I love roasted red peppers! My all time favorite. I agree with EAT’s comment as well.

22. Anonymous
    Posted January 29, 2009 at 8:22 AM | Permalink

Had these on cold winter day @ the playground
    Thanks Robin
    YUMMMMMY!
    –Caroline

23. Lisa
    Posted January 30, 2009 at 1:30 AM | Permalink

Roasted cauliflower is amazing and was a revelation to me. Since then I am roasting carrots and sweet potatoes, not to mention asparagus, and loving them all. Still roasted cauliflower has a special place in my heart.