Snow Day Baking and Snow Cream

This has to be the happiest time for my children; Snow Days. They have hoped for this day for the longest time and it has finally come. We have missed two days of school causing me to hunker down in my kitchen and laundry room in order to keep the kids warm, dry, and fed. What I like most on these days is baking and making Snow Day treats. This includes Hot Cocoa, Snow Cream, Snow Icies, and homemade chocolate pudding or some other baked goods. We like to have grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup as well. I also had a big batch of dough in the fridge to make some really great and crispy crust pizza.

See this little girl? She is a hoot in the snow. I think her sled went down the hill more times without her than with. Then she came in to the house to announce that she “fwipped” over and didn’t even cry.

EASY STICKY BUNS

We started off the day with some Barefoot Bloggers Easy Sticky Buns that I have seen all over the blogisphere and figured that it is a good time to bake some.

They are something like Sticky Bun meets Palmier. Delicious, simple and highly recommended. I used cinnamon plus pumpkin pie spice, left out the nuts and raisins.

So keep some puff pastry in your freezer just for this reason.

SNOW CREAM

While the Sticky Buns were baking I placed bowls outside to catch the fresh falling snow for our Snow Cream. This insures getting clean snow and not the scary stuff the children may scrape up.

After a few hours we had plenty. I have made Snow Cream for years one way. Cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar all mixed with snow. I even make Snow Icies which is snow mixed with any flavor Torani Coffee syrup, we like vanilla, coconut, or strawberry the best. But I have never made Snow Cream with a custard base like Lisa at My Own Sweet Thyme. This Snow Cream has been hailed the best by my family. “This is what Snow Cream should taste like!” they said. I followed Lisa’s recipe but I did not have Egg Beaters so I needed to cook my custard over a low heat until thickened. Then I let it cool in the refrigerator until we were ready to mix it with the snow.

I used about 8 cups of snow to mix with the custard.

This is the only yellow snow acceptable for eating! Mix well with a spatula or whisk.

Once mixed together, serve. We got 6 servings.

This tastes just like vanilla ice cream but with the earthy aftertaste of snow. We stored the rest in the snow for when Daddy got home from work. This made our day great. Thanks Lisa!

What are some of your favorite Snow Day Treats?

Check out my side bar for some tasty Super Bowl suggestions. Did you see that my Jalapeno Popper Dip made it into Noble Pig’s Super Bowl Recipe Contest Finals?

1. Rachael
    Posted January 29, 2009 at 9:10 AM | Permalink

Cute picture of your little girl…she looked like she was having a blast sledding! I went sledding with my boys and it was pretty funny….I was the only mom at the big sled hill 🙂

I am going to check out your jalapeno dip at Noble Pig….I am looking for another dip for Super Bowl…and we love anything with jalapenos!

2. Melissa
    Posted January 29, 2009 at 9:22 AM | Permalink

Looking at all of the Superbowl suggestions is making me hungry! My favorite is the mini ham and cheese rolls. They are great!

3. Sabrina
    Posted January 29, 2009 at 10:07 AM | Permalink

If we get snow again I am definately going to try the custard route. That looks yummy. Your Jalapeno Popper Dip has been a huge success at every event I have taken it to since you posted it. You are a genius.

4. Linda
    Posted January 29, 2009 at 10:27 AM | Permalink

I love the snow cream! My grandsons will love making this!

5. Bethie
    Posted January 29, 2009 at 10:48 AM | Permalink

I’ve never heard of using custard to make snow cream. That’s a “must try”! Thanks for that.

I love your lead picture! I love cardinals (Mom’s infulence – she loves them more!). I’m in charge of Power Point Presentations at our church and that would be such a cool picture to have on the screen during the sermon. Would you be willing to share?

6. Sheila
    Posted January 29, 2009 at 11:45 AM | Permalink

Okay, you put me to shame. I had two days at home and didn’t make a single yummy treat!

I love the idea of mixing custard with the snow. Caleb enjoyed his first real snow, which included having some snow cream (made by his big sis, not I).

Love the pics for Super Bowl treats!

7. Sandy Smith
    Posted January 29, 2009 at 12:09 PM | Permalink

This looks fantastic! I hope my kids don’t get wind of it though – at this point, they’re pretty happy enough to have a bowl of fresh snow with a liberal dousing of sundae syrup. I usually make them some kind of soup to eat outside in crocks in their snow fort. Ah, the novelty! Love your cardinal, too!

8. Joie de vivre
    Posted January 29, 2009 at 12:55 PM | Permalink

My kids would love snow cream!

9. That Girl
    Posted January 29, 2009 at 2:07 PM | Permalink

I miss snow days so much! We never made snow cream growing up, though there were days we could have had 8 cups in less than an hour.

10. Kate
    Posted January 29, 2009 at 2:17 PM | Permalink

I’ve never heard of Snow Cream! Interesting. The rolls are so easy and tasty, arn’t they? I’ll be making those fairly often.

11. Cindystar
    Posted January 29, 2009 at 3:26 PM | Permalink

Hi R. Sue, thanks for your visit on my blog. very nice your Snow Creams, I have never seen something like that. It snowed a lot of times this year, I will keepyour recipe good for next time!
    VA means Virginia, doesn’t it? I was there in 1981, I was travelling with my father from New York to Washington and then driving all the way long to Miami. We stopped in Lynchburg some days, my father had work to do with an Italian friend of him. It was July, but we had a terrible weather that week, rainy all time, it was quite boring for me…and I was glad when we left for Savannah!
    Hope to hear from you again, cheers!

12. Cindystar
    Posted January 29, 2009 at 3:27 PM | Permalink

P.s.:…I guess the pic on the front line is your red kitchen, isn’t it?..i like it very much, brava!!!

13. Tanya
    Posted January 29, 2009 at 4:25 PM | Permalink

I have never heard of snow cream, but I am so intrigued! I’ll have to try this next time it snows.

I totally noticed you as a finalist over on The Noble Pig and I was so excited for you! Good luck!

14. Grace
    Posted January 29, 2009 at 4:43 PM | Permalink

oooh! i haven’t had snow cream in ages and ages! just the thought of it makes this foul weather much more tolerable. 🙂

15. Dawn
    Posted January 29, 2009 at 5:33 PM | Permalink

Never heard of snow cream! How wild! Everytime I come to your site I am starving and leave with new baking ideas.

16. biz319
    Posted January 29, 2009 at 6:58 PM | Permalink

Wow – what a great day. Snow days are the best!

Off to check out your jalapeno recipe at noblepig – I made mini meatball calzones, but they didn’t turn out so I didn’t even bother to enter.

Good luck!

17. pigpigscorner
    Posted January 29, 2009 at 8:44 PM | Permalink

The sticky buns look delicious! and snow cream! wow! That’s new to me! Hope I get some snow here!

18. Peter M
    Posted January 29, 2009 at 9:39 PM | Permalink

we have a pair of cardinals who come to feed..cute!

The sticky buns, that’s what I want to wake up to each morning.

19. Laura
    Posted January 29, 2009 at 9:49 PM | Permalink

We made snow angels and had hot chocolate. And grilled cheese and tomato soup, too, actually. Those sticky buns look awesome, I am off to check them out next….

20. Lisa
    Posted January 30, 2009 at 1:36 AM | Permalink

I am so glad you liked the Snow Cream! That is one of my most treasured recipes. It brings back such powerfully wonderful childhood memories. We don’t get to make it often but I was surprised to find how much I still like it. Many things have changed over the years and my tastes have too but when I made Snow Cream from my mother’s recipe last month it was still perfectly delicious! Thanks for passing on the recipe and sharing it with your family and readers.

21. Kevin
    Posted January 30, 2009 at 8:49 AM | Permalink

Those sticky buns baked in muffin tins look great!

22. Joan Nova
    Posted January 30, 2009 at 9:56 AM | Permalink

You are a never-ending source of ideas in that Big Red Kitchen! Love the bird photo and, of course, the child!

23. Jen
    Posted January 30, 2009 at 11:01 AM | Permalink

What a fun day! Adorable picture 🙂 I like the idea of adding pumpkin spice to the buns.

24. PaniniKathy
    Posted February 1, 2009 at 12:20 AM | Permalink

There is something just so “winter wonderland” peaceful about the thought of snow cream. How fun! *Almost* makes me wish it snowed here in San Diego 🙂

25. Nicole
    Posted February 10, 2009 at 10:38 PM | Permalink

Well no matter what, I know it will be a cold day…. before I end up making those snow creams! At least where I live! 😉 Hehehe. But those sticky buns… There is a new rain storm headed our way in a couple days. Last weekend I cooked and cooked. These are on my list now for the next storm! Yeah!!! Rain is a party for me. Why not make food.