Chocolate Pots de Crème

I love you. Ich liebe dich. Ti amo. 我爱你. I love you. Ik houd van u. Je t’aime. 사랑해요. I love you. Te amo. 私は愛する. Я тебя люблю. I love you.

Every morning one of my student’s little, 8 year old sister cries to her parents, “I don’t want to go to school today and you never take me to Paris!” Earlier today I shared with you a recipe for very decadent chocolate caramel brownies that will Knock You Naked! Now I am going to take you to Paris with this smooth, creamy, dense, and rich chocolate dessert: the classic French Chocolate Pots de Crème. This dessert goes together very easily and after cooling completely you will taste the most amazingly, delicious chocolate dessert that you may have ever had.

In the top photo I have placed the chocolate in very pretty 4 ounce shot glasses to give as gifts and in the above photo I placed the chocolate in demitasse cups for my own family. Pots de crème is a very rich and filling dessert so a little goes a long way. I will liken it to eating the centers of chocolate truffles.

For the desserts I am giving as gifts, I wrapped each one in cellophane bags and tied with pretty curling ribbon. I was happy to find the shot glasses in a set on sale at TJMaxx’s. I affixed each with a label- To Mr. and Mrs. So and So. Each couple is to share their dessert by using the cute little spoons I provided.

Is it a little too mushy in here for you? I think not. So share some love and make this for a special person in your life. You may even want to dress French and look the part. A little silk scarf does the trick perfectly. Oui oui oo la la! Himself and I are on a detox diet so we will be pouring our grainy, nauseating detox shakes into champagne flutes and toasting to our health (and love.)

Chocolate Pots de Crème
6 egg yolks
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 T. sugar
2 T. Grand Marnier, Kahlua, or Creme de Cacao

In a blender blend salt and egg yolks for 2 minutes on high speed. Set aside. In a medium sauce pan over medium heat scald cream and sugar. Do not boil. Add the chocolate and stir with wire whisk until melted and smooth. Heat for about 3 minutes longer, the mixture should be very hot and on the brink of boiling but do not let it boil. At this point it is easier to pour the chocolate if you transfer it to a pitcher or liquid measuring cup. With the blender on medium speed pour a small amount of the hot chocolate through the opening in your blender lid. Blend. Slowly continue to pour the rest of the chocolate into the egg mixture and blend until smooth. Add liquor and blend a few seconds more. Pour into demitasse cups or shot glasses. Chill until set. Improves with age. Makes 8- 1/3 cup servings.

Note-“Plain whole eggs without added ingredients are pasteurized but not cooked by bringing them to 140°F and maintaining that temperature for 3 and 1/2 minutes. According to the FDA Food Code, eggs for immediate consumption can be cooked to 145°F for 15 seconds.” This information is from baking911.com.

*The chocolate in this recipe is well over 180° enough to cook and curdle your eggs so be sure to temper properly by adding a small amount of the chocolate mixture to your running blender of egg mixture then add the rest all in a slow and steady stream.

My Favorite Off The Beaten Path Romantic Flicks
Tristan and Isolde- Steamy
A Walk in the Clouds- Sigh
The Lake House- Keanu Reeves
An Affair to Remember- Classic
That Touch of Mink- Silly
Pillow Talk- Cute

What is your favorite Romantic film? Please share so that we can all rush to Blockbuster tomorrow and rent it.

Related Posts:
Valentine’s Day Candy Leis
Peanut Butter Blossoms and the Worst Valentine’s Days Ever!
Knock You Naked Valentine Brownies

Happy Valentine’s Day!

1. Donna and Greg
    Posted February 13, 2009 at 4:26 PM | Permalink

I want to get one of your valentine goodies! It looks soooooo yummy!

Donna

2. Samantha from Maine
    Posted February 13, 2009 at 4:33 PM | Permalink

I LOVE Tristan and Isolde…I’m going to watch it tomorrow, along with the Notebook and the Bridges of Madison County…what a sap! 🙂

3. Kate
    Posted February 13, 2009 at 5:18 PM | Permalink

Oooh, Moonstruck for sure. “I’m making you a steak.” “I like it well done.” “You’ll eat it bloody to feed your blood.” And who can forget Olympia Dukakis making eggs in a frame and squawking “You’ve got a love bite on your neck!” Or Cher saying “In time I’ll come to your funeral in a red dress!” A lovely romantic film. I also loved “Never Been Kissed” as just plain cute, and “Circle of Freinds” with Minnie Driver, and of course, “Forrest Gump” for his love of EVERYTHING. He loved his mother, his Jenny, his friend Bubba, his friend Lt. Dan, his running shoes, his jobs, his house, his State, Dr. Pepper, Ping Pong, and anything and everything. He loved EVERYTHING.

4. Netts Nook
    Posted February 13, 2009 at 5:36 PM | Permalink

My kind of chocolate with a little spirit. Can’t wait.

5. Joie de vivre
    Posted February 13, 2009 at 6:36 PM | Permalink

Ooooh la la! That pic of you and the scarf is LOVELY! I made pots de chocolat a few months ago. They are yummy for sure.

6. Larissa
    Posted February 13, 2009 at 6:58 PM | Permalink

Why is chocolate so darn amazing?!

Happy Valentine’s Day to you!

7. Linda
    Posted February 13, 2009 at 8:41 PM | Permalink

Oooo….looks so creamy and delicious! I will have to make this for a special occasion!
    I like your idea of giving as little gifts to share.
    Also, you mentioned one of our favorite movies…A Walk in the Clouds. Isn’t that just the best?
    Happy Valentine’s Day, Robin Sue.
    I’m sorry…detox shake or not, I would have to have a spoonful of this lovely chocolate dessert! Hugs, Linda

8. Karen
    Posted February 13, 2009 at 9:06 PM | Permalink

What thoughtful and adorable gifts! I could never make this… I would just eat it all up!

9. HoneyB
    Posted February 13, 2009 at 10:00 PM | Permalink

P.S. I love you. That movie had me in tears right from the beginning.

I also liked Premonition…although it wasn’t really a love story, it kind of was…

10. noble pig
    Posted February 14, 2009 at 1:38 PM | Permalink

Very nice and tres chic! Love it! Happy Valentine’s to you and your family!

11. That Girl
    Posted February 14, 2009 at 1:57 PM | Permalink

That 8 year old little girl is going to grow up and be me. My constant refrain is “I’ve never been to (fill in the blank) because nobody loves me.”

12. Parker
    Posted February 14, 2009 at 6:31 PM | Permalink

Those are gorgeous, really nice for valentine’s day.

13. Rindy R
    Posted February 14, 2009 at 6:34 PM | Permalink

First of all your Chocolate looks amazing! You know I have to give a shout out to “The Magic of Ordinary Day’s” – my favorite Hallmark movie ever made! The hubby and I just went to see “New in Town” and we laughed till our sides hurt. It might help we are both from MN (Don’t ya knooooow- in my best MN accent)!
    Happy Valentine’s Day friend!

Posted February 15, 2009 at 10:51 AM | Permalink

Ooh there are some great movie choices in here! I loved Moonstruck, so very funny! And P.S. I Love You did make me cry- alot. Rindy I will have to see your choice again I have only seen it once compared to your million times!

15. pigpigscorner
    Posted February 15, 2009 at 12:37 PM | Permalink

Looks like a perfect chocolate dessert! Yummy.

16. Sew Gracious
    Posted February 15, 2009 at 3:53 PM | Permalink

The dessert looks/sounds DELICIOUS!!! I *heart* chocolate!

A couple of my favorite romantic movies:
    * My Big Fat Greek Wedding
    * Sleepless in Seattle
    * Dirty Dancing

17. Netherfieldmom
    Posted February 15, 2009 at 6:30 PM | Permalink

Iknow this is late, but I love Notting Hill. Great ensemble cast and romantic schtik. Not brilliant, but always makes me smile.

18. Rachael
    Posted February 15, 2009 at 7:25 PM | Permalink

“Moonstruck” is my ALL-TIME Favorite movie! I have always wanted to be part of a big Italian family, and that movie just does it for me!

The chocolate pots….yummy and very elegant too 🙂

19. GFE--gluten free easily
    Posted February 15, 2009 at 11:43 PM | Permalink

What a delight to come here and see these pictures today! This dessert is in my top three for sure. I always order it when it’s on the menu at fine restaurants. How lucky the recipients of your beautiful dessert packages were!! And, you drinking your detox shake with your DH and not partaking, you are a very strong woman!

Shirley

20. Katie
    Posted February 16, 2009 at 1:03 AM | Permalink

I feel a craving coming on!!! 🙂

21. Sabrina
    Posted February 16, 2009 at 9:59 AM | Permalink

Love the pic of you with the scarf. Beautiful. Oh, and the chocolate loves wonderful too.

22. Mari at Once Upon a Plate
    Posted February 16, 2009 at 3:08 PM | Permalink

Absolutely decadent Robin Sue! I adore your gifting ideas… wish I was one of the lucky recipients :)!

Beautiful photos, as always. xo~m.

23. Alaine
    Posted February 17, 2009 at 4:11 PM | Permalink

On Golden Pond is such a great movie to watch with someone you love. My boyfriend and I both laugh the whole time, we know we are going to end up just like the couple in the movie

24. Peter M
    Posted February 17, 2009 at 9:41 PM | Permalink

R-Sue, new look to the blog? I like it!

I also adore women in scarves…and women serving pots au chocolat. Yeah, you’ll win Ms. Popularity/

25. Nicole
    Posted February 24, 2009 at 6:18 PM | Permalink

Ohhh… these look great. I must make them… or should I make your naked brownies? These look less dangerous though! 😉