Cook the Blog

What I Tried and Loved

Over at Serious Eats they have a feature called “Cook the Book” which reviews a popular cookbook or cooks a recipe from that cookbook. Well “Cook the Blog” is what I am up to these days. I need to get through some of my bookmarked-food-blog-want-to-try-recipes as they are piling up quickly. So today’s post will point you in the direction of Katie’s Pizza Bites. I made them the other night for dinner using my ABin5 pizza dough. I made mine bigger (dinner sized, instead of appetizer sized), more like the size of buns, and only made 10. I used provolone cheese instead of the mozzarella, because I did not have it, then topped the buns with Penzeys’ Sandwich Sprinkle, Tuscan Sunset, and some shredded Parmesan cheese. My children loved these and I will be making them again. This simple finger food was a great treat, try some this weekend. Thanks Katie!

What I Want to Try Next
Hamburger Patty Special from Lori at My Wooden Spoon. Those perfectly grilled burgers with that creamy, cheesey topping called out to me. This may be my very first meal after my detox diet (which is killing me.) Do you know how hard it is to detox and cook for a blog?

What food blog recipes have you been hankerin’ to try? Share some links so we can see what has been calling your name.

Have a great weekend!

Related Post:
Marinara Sauce

1. Sheila
    Posted February 20, 2009 at 9:55 AM | Permalink

This is perfect for dinner tonight, as it is pizza night at our house. These will be a big hit I am certain and less messy than pizza.

I have been wanting to make so many recipes, I don’t keep bookmarks just a document with all the links. Some that have especially caught my eye are this salad http://www.stephanieskitchen.com/2009/02/a-little-bit-of-everything-salad.html
    and these chicken balls with herbs and hazelnuts

2. Dawn
    Posted February 20, 2009 at 10:38 AM | Permalink

ok crazy woman what detox diet are you on? and yes, I can only imagine how hard that must be. I don’t think I could do it.

3. Elyse
    Posted February 20, 2009 at 11:22 AM | Permalink

all i have to say is that these cheesy bites look amazing. i’m glad you’re finally getting through your bookmarked recipes; you’ve inspired me to start doing the same (there’s a big list to conquer)!

4. Joie de vivre
    Posted February 20, 2009 at 12:32 PM | Permalink

I’m going to try one of my bookmarked recipes tonight. The King Arthur Flour blog recipe for no knead pizza dough!

5. Sandy
    Posted February 20, 2009 at 12:57 PM | Permalink

I’m getting excited for some SPRING BBQ recipes! I know I smelled Spring on my morning run today :))

6. Patsyk
    Posted February 20, 2009 at 1:47 PM | Permalink

I’ve got too many links to share here! LOL!

I do love the idea, and really should just get to it as well. I made a recipe similar to this one, but all of the balls of dough were put into a tube pan and baked into a ring. The kids really loved pulling them apart to gobble them up.

7. Karen
    Posted February 20, 2009 at 3:07 PM | Permalink

OMG, I have so many blog recipes I want to try! Plus, I have ABin5 and I want to try all of those – starting with the calzones!

Thx for the comments on my new header. It was easy once I realized it couldn’t be that difficult! I used paint.net and made a collage of the 4 pics I’d taken. Still using paint.net I typed Karen Cooks over it. It’s fun to do, too. I can’t believe all I’ve learned since starting to blog!

8. biz319
    Posted February 20, 2009 at 3:35 PM | Permalink

Kevin made these zucchini sticks and they look amazing!

So many blogs, so little time!!

9. A Cowboy's Wife
    Posted February 20, 2009 at 4:07 PM | Permalink

The Hamburger Patty Special is a HUGE favorite around. I’ve given that recipe to all my family members and I have to admit, they always tell theirs never turns out just like mine. Can’t wait to hear how you like them.

P.S. No shortcuts, some have tried to NOT chicken fry the patties but you can’t do that;)

Lori

10. thebrunettebaker
    Posted February 20, 2009 at 9:57 PM | Permalink

I was disappointed with a blog recipe we tried tonite, it’s already been tossed. Tomorrow it’s the Pioneer Woman’s Yogurt Cream with Berries and probably Buttery Jam Cookies from Joy the Baker (sorry, no links). Robin Sue, after you try Cowboy Wife’s recipe, check out Katie Lee Joel’s recipe for Logan County Hamburgers (they’re like a grilled cheese sandwich with a burger in the middle). In case you don’t know, she’s married to Billy Joel, loves to cook and has her own cookbook (but no blog as far as I know). I found the recipe on yumsugar.com and I’m sure it’s elsewhere.

Posted February 21, 2009 at 7:46 AM | Permalink

Sheila- I hope you family enjoys their pizza bites night! Thanks for the links I will check them out.

Dawn every 12-18 months I do a detox diet through my chiropracter. It is a product from metagenics which is just a shake 2-3 times a day then I have to eat very healthy. My skin clears up, I have energy, no bloatin any more and I usually lose some weight. Oh and my headeaches decrease.

Karen- I have paint.net too. Maybe I should play around a little. Thanks for the tip! I agree, I have learned so much blogging too!

Lori- I pinky swear no short cuts! This dish looks great, thanks for stopping by!

Thebrunettebaker- first off I don’t know how that man gets such beautiful wives! Must be his signing ($$$)! Thanks for the tip on her hamburger, looks fantastic!

12. Grace
    Posted February 21, 2009 at 10:41 AM | Permalink

nice find! i have so many food blog recipes bookmarked, i wouldn’t even know where to begin. your “cook the blog” idea is great fun!

13. katie
    Posted February 21, 2009 at 12:22 PM | Permalink

Hi Robin! I am so glad the kids liked the Pizza Bites. Thanks for showing them off, and I can’t wait to see the burgers.

14. GirlyFruFru
    Posted February 21, 2009 at 6:54 PM | Permalink

love your site.. adding you to my favorites.. !!

15. bakingblonde
    Posted February 21, 2009 at 8:10 PM | Permalink

Wow, I have found my go-to snack when I am home alone!

16. noble pig
    Posted February 21, 2009 at 10:36 PM | Permalink

Oh geez, those look awesome…I wouldn’t be able to share.

17. Sheila
    Posted February 21, 2009 at 10:58 PM | Permalink

Well, I made these with TJ’s pizza dough; they were fabulous! All were gone, we had lots of pizza leftover though. Just to say that they WERE a huge hit.

18. Anonymous
    Posted February 22, 2009 at 3:19 PM | Permalink

I made these for a potluck my daughter had to attend yesterday. She was travelling by train so I needed to make something that could take a bit of a beating en route. She called to say they were a big hit! I made a second batch later in the day and my two boys DEVOURED them in a matter of minutes! Excellent recipe. It has been transfered into my recipe box as a “doer-againer!” Note: I used the Pilsbury Pizza dough. Thanks for all the great recipes!

19. Nick
    Posted February 22, 2009 at 10:06 PM | Permalink

Those sure look a lot better than the frozen ones you can buy! These are now on my list. I need to have about 400 “Cook the Blog” days, there is too much goodness out there…

20. biz319
    Posted February 23, 2009 at 4:52 PM | Permalink

Robin Sue, I used that bread recipe to make my pizza last night and it was AMAZING!

I never thought to use that dough for pizza but your this post inspired me. Thanks!

21. Mama Chicken
    Posted February 24, 2009 at 1:51 PM | Permalink

I have some pizza dough that I froze for later. It is going to pizza bites by tonight… YUM!

22. Nicole
    Posted February 24, 2009 at 6:04 PM | Permalink

Good idea. I wonder if my kids would like this?

23. Chris
    Posted May 6, 2009 at 2:28 PM | Permalink

Oh that looks delicious! Someday I’ll have to share my almond joy cheesecake recipe, or snickers or the seemingly endless choices! Maybe I’ll blog it someday, i do live in the kitchen!

24. erin
    Posted June 7, 2009 at 12:57 AM | Permalink

Hello Everyone!

I would like to introduce myself I am a fitness lifestyle and nutrition expert. I'm here to help women who are having weight problems. you can check my blog http://www.erinhuggins.com/blog/ for more tips about losing weight and also i have a delicious recipe called Low Fat, Low Dairy Chocolate ice cream. its very mouth watering and super delecious you can check my youtube for that recipe just type in Low Fat, Low Dairy Chocolate Ice Cream you can also check my workout routine there and some pilates.http://www.youtube.com/erinhuggins

Erin

25. Anonymous
    Posted November 1, 2010 at 1:41 AM | Permalink

This is the kind of thing I try to teach people. Can I expect a sequel?