Cream Cheese Sheet Cake

I should leave the above photo and end my post here leaving you wondering what on earth is that photo about. Last week while reading thekitchn.com I came across this post about cake bites on toothpicks and thought that would be perfect for a potluck or the up and coming Super Bowl party at my brother’s. What a nice and interesting way to serve cake. Since they are small can I have 9? I have had this Cream Cheese Sheet Cake recipe for over 10 years and have yet to make it. In one of Karen Cooks posts, Karen mentions having recipes cut out from magazines for years and is finally making them. That motivated me to start cooking from my folders of cut out recipes too. This cake has always looked good to me but I always forget to make it but after seeing thekitchn’s way of serving cake on toothpicks, I knew this would be the perfect cake for the job.

This cake is dense, buttery, and very tasty, reminding me of a pound cake. The chocolate glaze is so good and perfect for this cake. I also took this a step further and followed the advice of thekitchn by frosting and freezing the cake while hot for 45 minutes to make the cake more moist and dense. My fellow blogger friend, Melissa had done this too with her delicious Banana Cake adapted from allrecipes, the very same cake used by thekitchn so we know it must be good. I must say the technique worked perfectly for my cake too.

Cream Cheese Sheet Cake– Adapted from Taste of Home Magazine
1 cup butter, softened
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 1/4 cups sugar
6 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/4 cups cake flour

In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, cheese, and sugar for 3 minutes on high speed. Add vanilla then one egg at a time mixing well after each egg. Add flour and mix well. Pour batter into a greased 15x10x1 inch pan. Bake at 325° for 25 minutes or until cake springs back when touched. Frost immediately with this glaze:

Chocolate Glaze:
1 cup white sugar
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

In a medium sauce pan combine sugar and milk and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 3 minutes. Do not stir! After three minutes add chocolate and butter and stir until blended. Pour and spread over cake. Place in freezer for 45 minutes. Cut in one inch squares and place on a serving tray. Place a frilly or plain toothpick in each piece. Serves a crowd. I liked this served chilled more than room temperature. Either way though.

Note- The leftovers were greatly appreciated in my children’s lunch boxes.

Tomorrow in BRK: Beauty in the kitchen. And it ain’t me.

1. EAT!
    Posted February 3, 2009 at 8:07 AM | Permalink

I need a new cake recipe and pound cake is a favorite cake around our house. I’m not sure we can wait the 45 minutes when it freezes, though.

2. HoneyB
    Posted February 3, 2009 at 9:44 AM | Permalink

That last photo is the killer. I love the crumb on this cake and that fudgy glaze looks to die for!

3. sarah [biscuits and honey]
    Posted February 3, 2009 at 9:53 AM | Permalink

This cake looks amazing! This is my first time visiting your blog and I love it! I also really love your philosophy on cooking.

4. Sara
    Posted February 3, 2009 at 10:12 AM | Permalink

What a great idea! The cake looks delicious.

5. Rachael
    Posted February 3, 2009 at 11:18 AM | Permalink

Oh My Goodness…that looks so yummy! Just what I don’t need….another cake recipe to spoil my diet! hahahaha

Cake is my favorite sweet treat to eat and to make!

Thanks for sharing the recipe:-)

6. Karen
    Posted February 3, 2009 at 12:23 PM | Permalink

Mmm, that looks so good and you couldn’t get any easier with the recipe, either! Glad to see you pulled out an old recipe and made it… I guess it’s time for me to go digging again 🙂

7. Joie de vivre
    Posted February 3, 2009 at 12:55 PM | Permalink

That’s such a cute way to serve cake! And yes, I would be tempted to eat 9.

8. biz319
    Posted February 3, 2009 at 2:09 PM | Permalink

This reminds me of a Texas sheet cake a co-worker used to bring in every celebration – so good!

9. That Girl
    Posted February 3, 2009 at 2:13 PM | Permalink

I always do the opposite – chocolate sheet cake with cream cheese frosting!!!

10. Laura
    Posted February 3, 2009 at 2:18 PM | Permalink

Oh wow this looks wonderful. At first I thought it was a more traditional sponge cake with frosting, which I thought would dry out too fast, but a sheet pound cake with a chocolate glaze in individual bites?–now that is perfect. I am having a housewarming this Saturday and this is really tempting….

11. Sheila
    Posted February 3, 2009 at 2:30 PM | Permalink

I remember this idea! Yours looks great, of course, with the various colors of toothpicks.

The cake sounds and looks amazing. Your pieces are so nice and neat; again you put me to shame.

So our sons will have treats to compare in class today! My son told me last night that he compares food with your son at lunch time, “Look what I have, and it’s HOME-MADE,” he says.

12. Dawn
    Posted February 3, 2009 at 3:10 PM | Permalink

I love a good dense cake. I don’t have many recipes for one, so I will try this one.
    Another fine creation!

13. Sabrina
    Posted February 3, 2009 at 3:38 PM | Permalink

It never would occur to me to freeze the cake while it is still warm. Next time I need a cake for a crowd I will try this.

Posted February 3, 2009 at 4:55 PM | Permalink

Sarah biscuits and honey- Welcome and thanks for visiting, I hope you come back!

Karen- yes you motivated me to dig out those old recipes. Thanks!

Sheila- I think that is cute that they compare treats. Hmm I am really going to have to come up with something that will make them laugh!

15. pigpigscorner
    Posted February 3, 2009 at 5:01 PM | Permalink

Who can resist cream cheese and chocolate…yum yum! Lovely presentation, great for parties!

16. bakingblonde
    Posted February 3, 2009 at 5:59 PM | Permalink

That sounds so simple and looks great! I love cakes like that.

17. Linda
    Posted February 3, 2009 at 6:31 PM | Permalink

Sounds really good and what a cute serving suggestion!

18. noble pig
    Posted February 3, 2009 at 7:39 PM | Permalink

Oh seriously I love the toothpick idea. It means you can eat it standing up…which means it has no calories.

19. GFE--gluten free easily
    Posted February 3, 2009 at 11:06 PM | Permalink

This recipe looks great. Pound cake is often hard to do gluten free, but I could easily convert this recipe and see if the freezer method helps with moistening the GF version, too. 🙂 The individual squares with colorful toothpicks look lovely. I plan on using the same concept with my flourless chocolate cake for Valentine’s Day.

Thanks! Can’t wait to try this!
    Shirley

20. Lisa
    Posted February 4, 2009 at 3:25 AM | Permalink

Such delicious looking little cake squares and I love your tips! I have been making cakes for such a long time but I have never heard of that freezer trick. I’ll have to try it. I like the toothpick idea too. Thanks for sharing!

21. recipes2share
    Posted February 4, 2009 at 6:50 AM | Permalink

The cake looks great and what an inventive way of serving – hadn’t thought of this one!

22. Grace
    Posted February 4, 2009 at 9:25 AM | Permalink

i saw that post on thekitchn and thought it was a wonderful idea–great execution of it! the cake itself looks moist yet firm and perfect for eating by the stickful. 🙂

23. Kristen
    Posted February 4, 2009 at 7:12 PM | Permalink

Oh yum – you mean there were leftovers? This wouldn’t last a night at my house 🙂

24. Kevin
    Posted February 9, 2009 at 4:35 PM | Permalink

That cheesecake looks good!

25. oneordinaryday
    Posted August 4, 2009 at 1:14 PM | Permalink

How did I miss this before?? I'm glad you mentioned it and linked back. It looks great and perfect for a crowd.
    ~Michelle