Roasted Chickpeas

Pairs well with Bruegel
For the rest of the Pack:
AUGUSTIJNKorean Bulgogi Tacos or Chicken Satay
PIRAATPork Tenderloin and Apple Arugula Salad
BORNEM TRIPLECitrus Alaska Cod with Tahini Drizzle
BORNEM DOUBLEPasta Bolognese
GULDEN DRAAKKnock You Naked Brownies

For my Middle Little, Mr. Picky Pot to like these then they must be good. Veggies rarely cross this little boys lips, so I was very pleased when Zuzu said he liked these Roasted Chickpeas- at least when he found out is was not chick’s pee like his Dad teased him it was. I have seen these all over the foodie blogosphere and thought I would join the fun too. These are such a great little treat. Give it a go with whatever spices turn you on.

Roasted Chickpeas
2 cans chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and dried a little
1 T. olive oil

Spices I used, no measurments, sprinkle to taste:
cinnamon
cumin
chipotle powder
smokey seasoned salt
smoked paprika

On a jelly roll pan lined with foil place peas in a single layer and sprinkle with oil and spices. Toss well and bake in 450° oven for about 20-25 minutes depending on the doneness you like. I like mine cripsy so I went 25 minutes. Watch because they will burn quickly at the end. Let cool and place in an airtight container.

For other Roasted Chickpea recipes, see these sites:
Spicy Roasted Chickpeas by Noble Pig
Oven Roasted Chickpeas by Eggless Cooking
Crispy Roasted Chickpeas with Moroccan Spices from Kalyn’s Kitchen

1. Rindy R
    Posted February 26, 2009 at 7:59 AM | Permalink

My girls love chickpeas right out of the can – I will have to try this variation! Love the touch of cinnamon!
    Thanks!

2. Joan Nova
    Posted February 26, 2009 at 10:12 AM | Permalink

Looks like a good party food to nibble with cocktails.

3. Netts Nook
    Posted February 26, 2009 at 10:23 AM | Permalink

Can’t wait to show these to my vegan daughter thanks for sharing.

4. Dawn
    Posted February 26, 2009 at 11:06 AM | Permalink

I’ve seen them everywhere too. And now that you’ve made them I must make them. ha ha
    I did see the curry ones too, those look good.

5. Elyse
    Posted February 26, 2009 at 11:21 AM | Permalink

I love roasted chick peas! Seeing how yummy they look on your blog reminded me that I’ve been meaning to make them!!

6. creativecarryout
    Posted February 26, 2009 at 11:49 AM | Permalink

My husband loves these and we haven’t made them in such a long time. Chick peas are going on my shopping list. Thanks for the reminder!
    Michelle

7. Rachael
    Posted February 26, 2009 at 12:10 PM | Permalink

I am all over this recipe! I eat chick peas straight out of the can and they are a staple on my salads. I have heard about roasting them, but have never tried…glad to have you show me how!

Thanks:-)

8. noble pig
    Posted February 26, 2009 at 1:16 PM | Permalink

Thanks for the link, these look awesome! I love snacking on these. I just found a recipe for sweet ones I’m going to have to try as well!

9. Lisa
    Posted February 26, 2009 at 3:28 PM | Permalink

I am bookmarking and will try this soon. They look like a great snack.

10. pigpigscorner
    Posted February 26, 2009 at 5:03 PM | Permalink

Such wonderful flavours! A great healthy snack!

11. stacief
    Posted February 26, 2009 at 5:39 PM | Permalink

That sounds great! I need to bring some nibblies to a party next week and these seem perfect!

12. Karen
    Posted February 26, 2009 at 6:42 PM | Permalink

Great snack… chickpeas are so protein rich!

13. unconfidentialcook
    Posted February 26, 2009 at 8:56 PM | Permalink

I’m going to give these a try–thank you!–for my daughter who daily goal is to eat nothing from the vegetable food group.

14. GFE--gluten free easily
    Posted February 26, 2009 at 10:45 PM | Permalink

How funny! I just made these this morning and enjoyed them as part of my breakfast. 🙂 They rocked. I just used olive oil and a little cayenne pepper on mine. It’s such a nice crunchy and tasty protein boost! I like your combination of flavors, too. Plus I want to try the other versions linked here. Kate at glutenfreegobsmacked.com does a version where she fries them and then places them in the oven. She says they melt in your mouth! Note to self: Buy more chickpeas!!

Shirley

15. Sara
    Posted February 26, 2009 at 11:41 PM | Permalink

I made these for the first time a few weeks ago, I used them to top some butternut soup. They were great!

16. Grace
    Posted February 27, 2009 at 8:14 AM | Permalink

confession–i can tear through a batch of these in less than two days. 🙂

17. Jennifer
    Posted February 27, 2009 at 2:38 PM | Permalink

I’ve made those before and they are fantastic!

I also tried a sweet variety, mixing the chick peas with a little sugar and cinnamon, baked as usual until they are crispy, then out of the oven, I drizzled a little honey over them. We topped vanilla ice cream with the honey roasted chick peas. Delish!

*The only thing about the sweet variety, is make small batches, a day after the honey made them kind of one big glob.

18. Clumbsy Cookie
    Posted March 1, 2009 at 12:18 PM | Permalink

I bet those are a great snack!

19. Lisa
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 12:22 AM | Permalink

I made these as a topping for gazpacho last May. Mine were baked with saffron, thyme, paprika and cayenne. They were wonderful! Your spice combination sounds great too. Or maybe one with a hot curry powder? These chickpeas are a great discovery!

20. Anonymous
    Posted October 8, 2009 at 6:57 AM | Permalink

Roasted chickpea is a very healty snack. It is ideal when you think about all those oily nuts. Also I found ready made roasted chickpeas here I think one of the flavours there will be suitable for everybody. They make it even with banana. My favourite one is -Crunchy- :))

They are here: