Sweet and Sour Sauce

We like our Sweet and Sour, that’s for sure. My kids would have everything very sweet without the sour though. This recipe is made with my Sweet and Sour Sauce that is very versatile. I can make a jar of it and brush over wings, shrimp, or beef skewers. It can also be used as a dip for egg rolls as well. This sauce is rich brown in color, very fragrant, and extremely flavorful with the right amount of spice and heat. Make a jar of this and keep it on hand for any and all Sweet and Sour needs.

Sweet and Sour Sauce
1 20 ounce can pineapple chunks, un-drained
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
1-2 tsp. Sriracha
1 T. soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar

Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Place in jar and store in refrigerator and use on chicken wings, beef skewers, grilled meats, egg roll dip, meatballs, seafood, or anything else you need a Sweet and Sour Sauce. This sauce can me made hotter with the addition of more hot sauce or hot peppers. Play around with it but I think you will agree that keeping a jar of this around is a tasty addition to your condiment shelf in the fridge.

This week I have used this sauce two different ways:

1. I made a platter of Tyson’s Tequila Lime Chicken Wings and brushed the wings with this sauce prior to baking.

2. I made Sweet and Sour Kielbasa by placing in the crockpot 1 pound kielbasa, sliced, one can pineapple chunks, drained and the jar of Sweet and Sour Sauce. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. The smokiness of the kielbasa is fantastic with this sauce. Perfect over rice.

1. Dawn
    Posted February 24, 2009 at 10:22 AM | Permalink

I love sweet & sour, just about any kind (there are a lot of variations out there).
    Hubby hates, so I don't get to indulge that much. But I've yet to use the sriracha sauce in one.

2. Sara
    Posted February 24, 2009 at 10:50 AM | Permalink

Ooh, this looks so good! I love your crockpot idea, I’m always looking for new ways to use my crockpot.

3. Elyse
    Posted February 24, 2009 at 11:18 AM | Permalink

Yay! Another way I can use my new crockpot! And I just happen to love sweet and sour sauce. YUMMY. Thanks for sharing!

4. sarah
    Posted February 24, 2009 at 12:57 PM | Permalink

YUM! Love sweet and sour. The keilbasa looks amazing. I’ll have to try that some time.

5. Joie de vivre
    Posted February 24, 2009 at 1:13 PM | Permalink

Sweet and sour sauce is my new favorite condiment! I hadn’t gotten around to thinking I could actually make it myself though. Your recipe looks easy! And I love anything that has to do with the crockpot.

6. Sheila
    Posted February 24, 2009 at 1:25 PM | Permalink

We love sweet and sour anything but I have heavy relied upon chili sauce and grape jelly. Having this recipe will renew our interest in some long forgotten favorites.

Thank you again for inspiration!

7. Kate
    Posted February 24, 2009 at 2:09 PM | Permalink

That sounds so easy and tasty. Never made my own before, I’ll have to try this.

8. biz319
    Posted February 24, 2009 at 3:16 PM | Permalink

What a great idea to have on hand!! Of course, I’d add more hot sauce to mine! 😀

9. Denise in PA
    Posted February 24, 2009 at 4:09 PM | Permalink

Oh my, that Sweet & Sour Kielbasa looks wonderful! That will definitely be on our menu this weekend. Thanks!!

10. pigpigscorner
    Posted February 24, 2009 at 4:37 PM | Permalink

The sweet and sour sauce sounds perfect with the kielbasa!

11. Grace
    Posted February 24, 2009 at 4:58 PM | Permalink

canned pineapple comes in handy for so many things, and this looks terrific!

12. noble pig
    Posted February 25, 2009 at 3:01 AM | Permalink

I love these flavors too,,,love the kielbasa!

13. GFE--gluten free easily
    Posted February 26, 2009 at 10:55 PM | Permalink

Yum, sounds good. I had to look up Sriracha. It looks like the perfect ingredient to add some flavor. I have some smoked sausage in the freezer …

Shirley

14. Sophie
    Posted February 27, 2009 at 1:05 PM | Permalink

That sauce sounds like a great all-purpose ingredient; looks like it’d even be a great marinade!