Valentine’s Day Candy Leis

IMG_8380.JPG

There, one down, 43 more to go. The notes are coming home from school and the children are getting ready for parties this Friday in school to celebrate Saint Valentine’s Day. This is the day we remember the martyred Valentine and the note he wrote to his friend- girlfriend, lover, friend we do not know for sure and she being the blind daughter of the jailer who would execute him. The the reason Valentine died on February 14, 269 A.D. was as a Christian he refused to worship Caesar. In the 5th century, Pope Gelasius in hopes to rival the ancient pagan holiday Lupercalia on February 15th which honors the gods Pan and Juno, fertility, and the hope for spring, declared February 14th a day to remember Valentine’s martyrdom and his last words written to the girl, “From your Valentine.” Valentine found it worth dying for Someone who had died for him.

HOW TO MAKE CANDY LEIS
For treats this year we are making Candy Leis for my children’s classmates. They do not have many and with all of us working this craft will go quickly.

Materials for 1 Lei
8 pieces of individually wrapped candy, raisin or craisin boxes, little toys, barrettes, etc.
Cellophane or plastic wrap- 40×8 inches
8- 14 inch pieces of curling ribbon
yard stick
scissors

On the long strip of cellophane, space each piece of candy leaving about 2 inches of space on each end. Fold the edge up over the candy and then roll the cellophane over enclosing the candy within a long tube of cellophane. The seam should overlap so that the candy cannot fall out.

Using 14 inch pieces of ribbon tie bows between each piece of candy.

Tuck one end into the other and tie a ribbon to secure.

Then wear your candy lei proudly.

OK we are all going to get this out of our system and into the open right now- Lei is a funny word.

Related Posts:
Peanut Butter Blossoms and the Worst Valentine’s Days Ever!
Knock You Naked Valentine Brownies
Chocolate Pots de Crème

1. Rindy R
    Posted February 11, 2009 at 7:52 AM | Permalink

You are so creative Robin Sue! I love this idea and I know my girls would love putting these together for their friends! Thanks for sharing in time to make for the Valentines Party. Thanks for the history lesson as well – I had no idea!

2. Sabrina
    Posted February 11, 2009 at 9:07 AM | Permalink

Yes, lei is a funny word. And I too love the craft. What fun. I might make them for my preschoolers

3. j*amy
    Posted February 11, 2009 at 9:18 AM | Permalink

fun!

4. Sara
    Posted February 11, 2009 at 10:29 AM | Permalink

These are so cute, you always have the most creative ideas!

5. Joan Nova
    Posted February 11, 2009 at 10:32 AM | Permalink

Just knew you’d be posting something for Valentine’s Day…and I’m guessing this is not the last of it. πŸ™‚

6. Dawn
    Posted February 11, 2009 at 11:07 AM | Permalink

I just love learning new crafty ideas from you.
    Very clever!

7. biz319
    Posted February 11, 2009 at 11:59 AM | Permalink

What a clever idea!!

8. Jen
    Posted February 11, 2009 at 1:07 PM | Permalink

What an adorable idea! I think they’re fun for any age group πŸ™‚

9. Joie de vivre
    Posted February 11, 2009 at 1:24 PM | Permalink

This is a great idea!

10. noble pig
    Posted February 11, 2009 at 2:00 PM | Permalink

Do you ever do anything that’s not totally cute and perfect? I didn’t think so.

11. That Girl
    Posted February 11, 2009 at 2:23 PM | Permalink

I’ve seen these before, but never knew how to do it!

12. HoneyB
    Posted February 11, 2009 at 3:21 PM | Permalink

How cool! I should make these for our favorite waiter and give them to him – his birthday is on valentines day!

13. Sheila
    Posted February 11, 2009 at 4:31 PM | Permalink

What a unique idea! I am certain all recipients will just “love” these, even enough to marry them. Sorry, I had a flashback to childhood. Too cute!

14. Sandie
    Posted February 11, 2009 at 4:53 PM | Permalink

Look how cute those are! Great idea.

15. Donna and Greg
    Posted February 11, 2009 at 5:18 PM | Permalink

I did these once as party favors for my daughters birthday one year. They are so fun and so easy to do.

DonnaJ

16. AMAC1978
    Posted February 11, 2009 at 6:57 PM | Permalink

These are so cute, thanks for the idea. Valentine’s Day is my birthday, and I am ashamed to say, I am not sure I had heard the story of its beginning before, thank you.

17. Elyse
    Posted February 12, 2009 at 12:19 AM | Permalink

What an easy and cute idea! I love the idea of a homemade valentine; thanks for sharing your creativity!

18. Grace
    Posted February 12, 2009 at 9:29 AM | Permalink

what a cute idea! yes, it makes the candy a little bit harder to get into, but that might be a good thing. πŸ™‚

19. Theresa
    Posted February 12, 2009 at 9:43 AM | Permalink

What a great idea and clever project πŸ™‚

20. GFE--gluten free easily
    Posted February 15, 2009 at 11:52 PM | Permalink

Very cool!

21. Nicole
    Posted February 24, 2009 at 5:59 PM | Permalink

How cute! Great idea. I wish I had seen it earlier!

22. Michele Alger
    Posted January 6, 2012 at 12:28 PM | Permalink

I've seen this idea before, but I've never done it nor found out how. Thank you for the tutorial! Your's are GREAT. We are doing this for sure this year!!