“Car Picnics”- How To Eat On The Go: The BAD- Noodles and Dough

Noodles and Dough are wonderful vessels for meats, cheeses, fruits, or vegetables and make excellent vessels for eating on the go. One can make an entire meal either hot, cold, or room temperature from the humble noodle. Many cultures have their version of noodle dishes. With dough, one can add a variety of fillings for the perfect HANDy meal. Oh yeah we’re BAD.

Noodles

Let’s start with a few noodle dishes to get your creative juices flowing.

Italian Pasta Salad (above)- The trick to making a good pasta salad is adding the dressing and other ingredients while the noodles are still warm. For my version I have cooked 1 pound pasta, added one bottle Good Seasons Italian Dressing, cubed Genoa Salami, cubed Provolone cheese, chopped Roasted Tomatoes, julienned fresh Basil, and fresh cracked black pepper. Tossed while the noodles were warm and then chilled until ready to serve. Serves 8-10. Other great additions are red pepper, black olives, artichoke hearts, green onion, fresh mozzarella, and Giardiniera Mix.
* Note- Have the person at the deli counter cut you a slab of whatever cold cuts you would like. I always ask for a 1 inch thick slab.

Try a Hawaiian Pasta Salad by tossing pasta with pineapple chunks, shredded and toasted coconut, mango, macadamia nuts, chicken, and low fat vanilla yogurt.

Pennsylvania Dutch Style Macaroni Salad- Cook 1 pound Macaroni noodles, drain and rinse with cold water. Add 4 chopped hard-boiled eggs, 1 cup mayonnaise, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1 tsp celery salt, few pinches black pepper, 1/4 tsp. ground mustard powder, 2 T. sweet pickle juice, 2 tsp. sugar, 1/2 cup chopped celery, 4 T. chopped red onion, 1/4 cup sweet relish. Mix all well and chill. Serves 8-10.
*Note- To make this a meal add cubed ham and cheese.

Tortellini- Tortellini are a wonderful finger food for picnics. Served with Rindy’s Lemon Basil Dip your family will thank you! Don’t forget the toothpicks and other favorite veggies.

Beyond the obvious pasta dishes like Spaghetti and Meatballs, Linguine and Clams, Ravioli, Lasagna, and Kugel, explore other noodle dishes like these:

Honey B’s Sesame Peanut Noodles
Quick and Easy Pancit
Pad Thai
Noble Pig’s Pasta Pie– Now there’s some real picnic’n!

Remember to keep all your noodle salads on ice while on your picnic, especially if they contain mayonnaise. Some of these do better hot or at room temperature so pack accordingly.

Dough

I really like working with dough. Many of these HANDy treats can be made up ahead of time and given a quick reheat or eaten at room temperature.

BISCUIT DOUGH

Bar-B-Cups – These are such a favorite in our home but I do not make them often as I am still waiting for Kraft Foods to come up with a non-hydrogenated version of their biscuits and crescent rolls. But for a quick meal or a snack for eating on the go, you could not ask for a HANDier meal.

1 pound browned ground beef, cooked and drained
1 cup barbecue sauce- we are diggin’ Trader Joe’s right now!
1 T. dried minced onion
1 tube butter flavored Flaky Grands biscuits (10 count)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Mix first three ingredients and heat through. Flatten each biscuit between the palms of hands and place each in a greased muffin tin cup. Divide meat mixture evenly between each cup and top with cheese. Bake in 375 degree oven for 10– 15 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 10 cups. Reheat by microwaving for 30 seconds, wrap in foil, and pack.
Update- My friend Sheila made these using Paula Deen’s Biscuit Recipe.

*Note- Did you know that you could substitute scrambled eggs with ham or bacon, and cheese for the barbecue meat? Great breakfast on the go.

THE WONTON WRAPPER

Let’s talk about this edible container, shall we? The Wonton Wrapper once baked can hold a variety of fillings such as Chicken Salad, Egg Salad, and dessert type fillings such as fruit or pudding. To bake, spray a regular muffin tin with cooking spray and line each cup with a wonton wrapper. Bake for 8 minutes in a 350 degree oven until golden brown. Cool completely before storing in an air-tight container. Fill with desired filling just before serving. These pack well.

*Rindy was the first to show me how to serve Chicken Salad in Wonton Cups. Thanks Rindy!

Crab Rangoon– The filling in these wonton wrappers is baked right in. Mix 4 ounce cream cheese, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 2 green onions, sliced, a sprinkle of garlic powder, and 6 ounce can crab meat, drained. Line a greased muffin tin with wonton wrappers and divide filling between all 12 wontons. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes. Cool slightly before serving with sweet and sour sauce. Makes 12. My family loved these.

*Note- These are a good way to get seafood into your family. Try other seafoods like salmon, flounder, or shrimp.

BREAD DOUGH

I was first introduced to Pizza Bites through Katie’s blog called Chaos in the Kitchen. We love these little things so much. Another good reason to keep Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day dough in the refrigerator so that you can whip up Pizza Bites in no time. I think the possibilities are endless for what you can fill these little pockets. Don’t forget to pack the Marinara Sauce.

Don’t forget that you can make Pizza and Stromboli for your picnic too.

CRESCENT ROLL DOUGH

Here is another Kraft Food product I am holding my breath for them to remove the hydrogenated oils. Everything in moderation, right?! When I do make these my family goes wild for them. These are another great HANDy treat. Wrap in waxed paper while warm and pack for your picnic. Has anyone else noticed how there are only 6 (giant!) crescent rolls instead of 8 per can now, or is it just me?

Chicken Packets
4 oz. reduced fat cream cheese
2-3 T. milk
1 T. dried chopped chives
Salt and Pepper to taste
Dash of Curry powder
2 cans refrigerated Crescent Rolls (can use reduced fat variety)

Mix chicken and other ingredients. Open tubes of rolls and tear into 6 rectangles pressing together the diagonal perforations. To the center of each rectangle divide the chicken filling evenly between each rectangle. Fold over to make a pocket and pinch edges together. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Another incredible dough is the tortilla for tacos, wraps, burritos, and sopapillas.

HOMEWORK
1. Go to the grocery store now and purchase all the ingredients to make the above recipes for the week. Great for picnics, snacks, or lunch boxes.
2. Rest easy knowing that you are so organized now!

Related Posts:
“Car Picnics”- How To Eat On The Go: The Plea
“Car Picnics”- How To Eat On The Go: The GOOD
“Car Picnics”- How To Eat On The Go: The BAD- The Chicken and The Egg
“Car Picnics”- The UGLY: Ballpark Food- Nachos
“Car Picnics” The UH OH’s: Pop Pop Pop Popcorn

Next Week in BRK: “Car Picnics” continues with The UH OH’s- what to bring when it is your turn to make the team snack. How to feed the little turkeys on the cheap.

1. Karen
    Posted March 21, 2009 at 4:02 PM | Permalink

Robin, you are awesome. These are some great,fast and easy little treats even if you aren’t going on a picnic! Thanks for so many new things to try.

2. Sheila
    Posted March 21, 2009 at 7:10 PM | Permalink

Okay, I think you just solved my dilemma as to what is for lunches next week. I know these are supposed to be car picnic ideas, but I am just down on lunches and these are great. I like the biscuit idea, I think they could be made with homemade biscuit dough. Not as easy or moist perhaps, but still great.

Oh, and we like to add cucumbers to our pasta salad, a cool and light addition.

3. Laurie
    Posted March 21, 2009 at 10:24 PM | Permalink

I love picnics and your ideas (so many of them!) are fabulous! I found it interesting that the Pennsylvania Dutch macaroni salad is very similar to my mom’s and I grew up near that region.

I can’t wait for “Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day” to arrive! I ordered it from Amazon a few days ago.

4. RecipeGirl
    Posted March 22, 2009 at 12:44 PM | Permalink

You are so dang creative. What a great post full of ideas!

5. Joie de vivre
    Posted March 22, 2009 at 1:20 PM | Permalink

You rock Robin Sue!

6. Dawn
    Posted March 22, 2009 at 2:54 PM | Permalink

Oh my gosh Sue those BBQ cups look heavenly-tasty. I should not make those I know I will eat a lot of them. And you’re right I think there should be a safer bisquit dough, why not?
    I will be trying that hawaiian salad, oh yes

7. Talita
    Posted March 22, 2009 at 4:11 PM | Permalink

Everything looks so yummy!

8. Sheila
    Posted March 22, 2009 at 4:13 PM | Permalink

Okay, just to let you know, I made the barbecue cups this am for church snack. They were gone and I didn’t get a taste! I used a biscuit recipe from Paula Dean, 1 lb of ground turkey and about 1 cup of cheese. Altogether it made 24 muffin barbecue cups. 24 were eaten all up! Thanks for the ideas and I already have incorporated everything in this post for next week’s lunches.

9. Elra
    Posted March 22, 2009 at 5:26 PM | Permalink

These are amazing idea, wow. Love those Bar-B-Cups.
    Cheers,
    elra

Posted March 23, 2009 at 8:40 AM | Permalink

Sheila- Thanks for letting me know that they were a hit. I will have to try them with the homemade dough as well!

• Laurie
      Posted July 24, 2013 at 12:28 AM | Permalink

I’ve been making bbq cups for a couple of years now, and almost always use homemade biscuit dough. The hardest part is figuring out the right amount of dough to put in each muffin cup. They taste great – even when made with half white whole wheat flour. You can also use cornmeal biscuits and taco meat + salsa for a slightly different taste.

11. biz319
    Posted March 23, 2009 at 4:23 PM | Permalink

Great ideas as always – I need to check out Rindy’s lemon basil dip – it looks like the dip we had at a restaurant for calamari!

Happy Monday and hope you had a good weekend! Are your kids on spring break this week?

12. Jude
    Posted March 23, 2009 at 11:38 PM | Permalink

So amazed with the massive amount of information in one post. Definitely bookmarking. Thanks!

13. Nicole
    Posted March 24, 2009 at 6:00 PM | Permalink

All of this looks sooo good. I wish it were before me right now…or maybe I don’t!

14. EAT!
    Posted March 24, 2009 at 9:06 PM | Permalink

So many recipes. So little time.

15. Anonymous
    Posted April 16, 2010 at 5:50 PM | Permalink

Looking for the Facebook connect button to share with all my friends.

16. Shelby
    Posted July 28, 2011 at 1:45 PM | Permalink

Robin this a post full of goodies! Thank for mentioning my noodles!

17. Mindy
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 3:53 PM | Permalink

I skeptically made the pizza bites for my kids, thinking they're not gonna like them because they are different from the frozen variety. Wrong! I was wrong! I will willingly admit I was wrong! And not only that, they loved wrapping the dough around the meat and cheese. Double score!! Thanks

18. Posted January 18, 2013 at 9:14 AM | Permalink

Howdy would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re working with? I’m going to start my own blog
    soon but I’m having a difficult time deciding between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something unique.
    P.S Apologies for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

• Robin Sue
      Posted January 18, 2013 at 9:17 AM | Permalink

I use wordpress. It’s nice to work with.

19. Mollie W
    Posted March 24, 2016 at 7:35 PM | Permalink

Trader Joes makes a great healthier crescent dough!