Eating a Rainbow- Red

I find it difficult to Eat A Rainbow on a daily basis and have been seeking out recipes to help me do that. Remember in school, ROY G. BIV? Each letter stands for a color in a rainbow: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet. It was ole Isaac Newton that introduced indigo and orange to the original five colors to make it an even or is it odd seven. All to match the days of the week, the musical notes, and the seven known planets in his time. Another reason to love Newton. Today I am going to start with Red, the longest wavelength in the rainbow.

Red fruits and vegetables include red apples, cherries, cranberries, raspberries, red grapes, strawberries, red pears, watermelon, beets, red peppers, radishes, red onions, rhubarb and tomatoes. These have the powerful antioxidant lycopene which helps us fight heart disease and some cancers.

I think this recipe will help us all get those reds in. Oh and a little green too.
Of course some sugar helps the medicine go down now doesn’t it?

Grape Salad
2 pounds red seedless grapes
2 pounds green seedless grapes
8 ounce cream cheese
8 ounces sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup white sugar

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans

Wash and stem the grapes. Pour out on a towel and pat dry. In a bowl with mixer, mix on low speed cream cheese, sour cream, vanilla, and sugar for 30 seconds then increase speed to medium-high for 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Gently fold in grapes. Pour grape mixture into a large bowl and top with pecans and brown sugar. Cover and chill overnight. Mix the topping in prior to serving. Serves 8-10.

Note- One of my guests did not like the crunchiness of the brown sugar, the rest of us did. I have looked at other recipes where some have solved this by decreasing the nuts and brown sugar, using candied pecans and sprinkling them on just before serving, stirring in the topping before chilling, or just using the nuts. It is up to you but I am sticking with the crunchy sugar high thank you very much.

Other Red Recipes in the B RED K:
Harvard Beets
Roasted Beets
Roasted Tomatoes
Strawberry Spinach Salad
Frozen Red Grapes

Next Week in BRK: The final “Car Picnic” post: My favorite crock pot dinners. Some more great recipes. And another wavelength in the Rainbow- Orange.

Have a yummy weekend!

1. Elyse
    Posted March 27, 2009 at 10:24 AM | Permalink

Robin Sue, this is such a creative idea!! I love eating the rainbow, and it’s so funny that you’re posting about this because quite recently, I’ve been really focusing on doing just that. To my healthy tomato soup, I’ve been adding onion and spinach, and craving a green and yellow bell pepper to kick up my colors a notch. I can’t wait to see all the colors you’ve got in store for us! This grape salad sounds like an excellent start–and you’re so right: everything goes down better with a bit of sugar!

2. Sheila
    Posted March 27, 2009 at 10:31 AM | Permalink

I enjoyed the science/history lesson, the teacher in me thinks this is so great for the kids. Just grab a book about Newton and have this as a snack! Great way to get the kids excited (big ones too) about the reds.

It’s funny, I love grapes, but my daughter (who is a fairly healthy eater) doesn’t like grapes. I think she would like this recipe though. Maybe even as breakfast if I used yogurt. Yes, I am still stuck on breakfasts.

3. Sara
    Posted March 27, 2009 at 10:50 AM | Permalink

This looks really delicious. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like it before. I love grapes in any form 🙂

4. Jaye
    Posted March 27, 2009 at 11:34 AM | Permalink

I have been making this recipe for about three years now, and it is my most requested! I was chicken to taste it the first time because I cannot stand sour cream, but I loved the creamy/crunch contrast. This is one of those recipes that makes people arch one eyebrow and look doubtful – right up until they taste it and realize that it is a little like cheesecake only better. Thanks for the posting.

5. Karen
    Posted March 27, 2009 at 12:41 PM | Permalink

I would love this and I think I’d like the crunchy brown sugar, too 🙂

6. Alyse
    Posted March 27, 2009 at 12:45 PM | Permalink

sounds like some I made. Looks wonderful though!

7. unconfidential cook
    Posted March 27, 2009 at 2:24 PM | Permalink

What memories! This was my mom’s go-to dessert for guests, but without the cream cheese. I’m going to try it–I miss her!

8. Dawn
    Posted March 27, 2009 at 3:51 PM | Permalink

ha ha I’m sure my hubby would finally eat some fruits if it was made this way!

9. Sew Gracious
    Posted March 27, 2009 at 7:07 PM | Permalink

I LOVE Grape Salad and have been looking for a recipe. Thanks SO Much!

10. noble pig
    Posted March 27, 2009 at 10:35 PM | Permalink

I love this! Love the science too. I’ve never thought of putting these together but now it’s on my mind!

11. Sabrina
    Posted March 28, 2009 at 12:40 AM | Permalink

That looks so good. I can’t wait to try it.

12. Grace
    Posted March 28, 2009 at 3:22 PM | Permalink

mmm. i enjoy grape salad very much, and i LOVE this idea to eat through the rainbow. fun fun!

13. biz319
    Posted March 28, 2009 at 3:43 PM | Permalink

Thanks for the shout out on your March blogs of the month!

Since I am not cooking much this weekend, I plan on showing other peoples good eats – and of course I’ll showcase one of my favorite things you make.

You’ll see the link tonight! 😀

14. burpandslurp
    Posted March 29, 2009 at 11:27 AM | Permalink

this looks yummy! so refreshing.
    I eat the rainbow so to speak by making sure to have at least 3 different types of fruits a day, and also veggies.

15. GFE--gluten free easily
    Posted March 29, 2009 at 12:56 PM | Permalink

What a beautiful, tasty grape concoction! I had no idea that’s what it was going to be when I saw the title and the photo. Yes, the more colorful the better for real food. I’ve been adding spinach and salad greens to my egg for breakfast lately. Yum. Looking forward to your other colorful recipes and everything else you share with us!

Oh, two more things, I’d definitely like the crunchy brown sugar, and I love that this recipe is naturally gluten free. 🙂

Shirley

16. HoneyB
    Posted March 30, 2009 at 4:50 AM | Permalink

We always made fresh fruit salad for holidays and the grapes were my favorite part of the salad. Love the rainbow eating incentive!

17. Penny
    Posted March 30, 2009 at 7:34 AM | Permalink

This sounds like a delicious dessert. Can hardly wait for orange.

18. Maria
    Posted March 30, 2009 at 12:03 PM | Permalink

I love eating a colorful diet. This salad is perfect:)

19. pookiepantry
    Posted March 30, 2009 at 4:56 PM | Permalink

my aunt made this recipe once when she visited, and we all just loved it. soo good!

20. Claudia
    Posted March 30, 2009 at 10:33 PM | Permalink

I love grapes and I love color. Will definitely try this and be back for more “rainbow” recipes. What a grand idea.

21. Jude
    Posted April 1, 2009 at 12:16 AM | Permalink

Nice theme for recipes… You’d probably have a problem with blue foods, though. Some people say none exist.