I Ain’t Got Nutn’ People

I have the Winter blahs big time over here. Everything is blah. I have been eating healthy for 4 weeks and have shed 7 pounds. Yay. But to blog about a piece of fish and spinach can be pretty dullsville in my book. I haven’t baked anything really cool lately. But I do feel and look better. Do you ever get the winter blahs? I don’t want to cook, blog, or exercise. All I want to do is read, read, read. Oh and I am oh so cynical. Things like- Why is that lady wearing such a hideous hat? Who taught you to drive, your grandmother? And last but not least, the News, I can’t watch it any more because it infuriates me what is going on here in DC. I could spit nails! Deep breath.

But have no fear there are a few things that bring a smile to my face in the depths of winter and her deep, dark frosty nights…

1. My new heating blanket. I am sure you will tell me it causes cancer. Don’t burst my bubble yet will ya, I’m trying to feel good here.

2. This lady Clara. Me and my children have watched all her cooking/story videos and fell in love with this adorable old lady.

3. The Twilight Series. I read all four books faster than the speed of light and got really sucked in (pun intended.) So shoot me for falling for a teenage vampire romance and all the drama that goes into falling in love with a vampire and being best friends with a werewolf. But here is my gripe: Edward is not a foodie. No sirree bob, doesn’t even touch the stuff and he is a “vegetarian” to boot. Now Jacob, that is a boy I could definitely feed. He has the appetite of a canine and I imagine he licks his plate clean.

4. Watching my children play in the snow. Their squeals of delight, their stunts and antics, the snowman, the ice sickles they suck on even though they are so cold, their red cheeks, “Mom can we have hot cocoa?”, and them enjoying snow ice cream. That makes the winter blahs worth it.

How do you shake off the winter blahs? And don’t tell me a trip to Florida.

1. Sabrina
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 9:09 AM | Permalink

Hey Robin… hate to tell ya but crusin’ the islands is awesome. However, coming back to reality…bites. So, it is a short high. Buck up camper… spring is almost here. This weekend is supposed to be nice.

2. Anonymous
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 10:02 AM | Permalink

I’m right there with you. I’ve also been trying to eat healthier and lose weight and cutting back on my favourite hobby (eating and baking)has left me with a serious case of the winter blahs. I picked up a new hobby (rubber stamping) and trying to spend more quality time with my hubby and kids are ways I’m trying to fight the winter blahs.

3. Ann
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 10:29 AM | Permalink

I also recently read the twilight series. I don’t care what Edward eats or doesn’t eat, he’s a gorgeous stalker and that’s all there is to it. You know, for as much as people give Edward crap for stalking Bella at least he never forced himself on her the way Jacob has.

Also, I’d rather eat with Edward because then I could eat… what’s on my plate, on his. Maybe that’s not a good thing. Maybe that’s why he’d need to turn me into a vampire, so I wouldn’t gain weight. Ah, Edward, he just gets dreamier and dreamier.

😉

4. Helen
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 10:40 AM | Permalink

I know I’ll probably get bashed for saying this, but when I get to my lowest/worst point of the winter blahs, AND I’m trying not to eat myself into oblivion, I buy myself a month in the tanning salon. I use sunscreen there (which the tanning salon HATES), go in that bed for 20 minutes and after a week or so I start feeling like a new woman.

5. Maria
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 11:00 AM | Permalink

We just got a ton of snow, I am so sick of winter!! Exercise helps me…or eating fresh baked cookies..ha!

6. RecipeGirl
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 11:19 AM | Permalink

I’m sorry you have the blahs!! That’s exactly what I DIDN’T want when I began my healthy eating venture. You need to pick up Ellie Krieger’s cookbook- it’s full of great recipes that are low in calories. It doesn’t feel like they’re healthy at all. They’re wonderful.

I find that I have to exercise every single day in some form or I get into a rut where I don’t want to do it at all. If I do it every day, I tend to crave it. It becomes addictive.

Congrats on the weight loss so far. You can do it!! Hope the blahs go away soon 🙂

7. Tricia
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 12:04 PM | Permalink

Hi Robin,

Joyce told me about your blog. The recipes look good! I am going to try some of them. Have you ever posted your monkey bread recipe? I loved that, but lost it. Blogging is fun. We did a blog for our adoption. It was a great way to keep the memories. Hope you are doing well. I sent a note for you on Dan’s facebook, but don’t know if you got it. Take care, Tricia (McGuigan) Hoffa

8. Dawn
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 12:04 PM | Permalink

I have had the winter blahs since winter started. It’s been a long winter over here in Mass. The only thing to get me out of my funk is a really good cup (or two) or expresso in the morning and a walk. If I don’t exercise then all I want to do is warm up in my electric blanket. I hope electric blankets don’t give us cancer? I keep mine at 6 at night…I’m toasty but I’m probably cooking myself LOL!!!

9. Sheila
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 2:30 PM | Permalink

Maybe that is what I have, the Winter Blahs. I thought it was exercising more, not getting the right food to eat, or . . . another baby {unfortunately, no on the last}. I do have to get my walk in and I find sitting down to read can perk me up later.

10. Jennifer
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 2:37 PM | Permalink

I think its because spring is so close but winter is hanging on! I can’t wait until its warm for good. No more snow, no more arctic air. I do have a funny story about winter here in Chicago. About a month ago, when it was about 5 degrees outside, I was walking my daughter home from her afterschool program (she’s 7). We got to the corner, it was super windy, her face was cold, so I took my scarf and put it up to her face to keep it warm…and she blew her nose in it! I started laughing so hard. “Why did you do that?” and she replied, “I thought that’s what you wanted me to do!” So, hopefully that story will give you a chuckle!

11. Shanan
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 2:50 PM | Permalink

I am feeling your pain with the winter blahs as well. I don’t really get a lot of snow where I am, and it really isn’t that cold. But I could use a break from the constant rain and clouds. I have some of the same solutions you do. The Twilight series (did you feel silly buying them in the store like I did?) and watching my baby play. Oh, and I am going to buy a bike this weekend, whether I can actually ride it anytime soon I am not so convinced, but I am moving forward anyway. Spring has to come eventually…

12. Sara
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 4:33 PM | Permalink

Totally with you – it has been raining nonstop here. I know we need the water and all, but it gets old.

13. redforever
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 4:42 PM | Permalink

Thx for the link to Clara’s cooking videos.

What a precious woman she is. And what an amazing way her grandson found to remember her.

My mother always had a microphone in her hand and she taped everything. All of her children’s weddings, special anniversaries or family get togethers, her and my Dad singing duets or playing duets, Mom on her piano, Dad usually on his sax, sometimes his fiddle. Then along came the grandkids, they got taped too, either singing, playing musical instruments, just giggling, maybe reading a poem for Grandma.

And then she went through all of the tapes she had recorded. The early tapes were quite fragile but she taped them together when necessary and then she re-recorded all of what she had, on tape cassettes. Sadly, those are out of date now too, but I am going to have them put on CD’s. She made copies for each of her 4 children and all of her 7 grandchildren. And my mother is not computer savy, so she wrote out a running dialog of what is on each tape, for each of those 11 people. Just to go over those written dialogs and to see my mother’s handwriting is special. And how precious that I can go to those tapes and hear my own grandparents singing a duet on their 60th wedding anniversary. They died in 1978 and 1984 but through these tapes, I can remember them clearly.

So, after all of this babbling, what do I do on those days when I have the blahs, no matter what time of year.

I get out those tapes and the dialog my mother wrote and listen to them. Very soothing.

14. biz319
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 5:40 PM | Permalink

Hang in there Robin Sue – spring is on its way!

I hear you though – even after rain and temps well into the 40’s I still have a somewhat big pile of snow at the end of my driveway!

I am tempted to pour hot water all over it just to get rid of it!

I am looking forward to looking at the Clara link!

15. noble pig
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 7:18 PM | Permalink

Someone needs to take away my remote and turn the news off. I hate it. I never want to spend money again since everyone is proclaiming the Great Depression…OMG I need to get away.

16. Karen
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 7:25 PM | Permalink

Since this is my first “real” winter after living in So. Calif for 40 years, I didn’t know I was supposed to get the winter blahs! Post your fish and veggie dinners anyway and we can cheer you on to another 7# 🙂

17. GFE--gluten free easily
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 9:28 PM | Permalink

It’s hard not to have the blahs these days, winter or not. I just saw that lady, Clara, on Good Morning America, but I need to watch all her videos. She is adorable. That’s one thing good coming out of these times … appreciation for folks like her with their common sense and frugal recipes. 🙂 Snow is the best when there’s time to play and have hot cocoa and snow cream (we just call it snow cream).

The heating element in my oven just blew up … now that’s a blah factor. So we had canned veggie soup (and a grilled cheese for hubby) instead of the chicken dish I planned. 🙁

My recommendation is lots of sunshine (so many of us lack Vitamin D) and a change of scenery, even if it’s driving down some back roads and checking out scenery and other people’s houses (could be better or worse in the snow I guess). If you can go to a spot you like to visit or a favorite art gallery, museum, etc., even that could make a huge difference. Those types of things really feed my soul sometimes.

Off to Google how to replace a heating element …
    Shirley

18. Linda
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 9:48 PM | Permalink

I’m with you on the winter blahs!
    Go get a new haircut…get a pedicure…buy something new for spring.

19. MrOrph
    Posted March 6, 2009 at 8:14 AM | Permalink

Wow, you’re in DC? Can you drive over to the Hill and give everybody a message for me? “Stop spending MY money!!!!!” And can we get a cabinet member who isn’t a tax cheat?

Congrats on your weight loss.

Sorry for your blahs. We all know how you feel though. I like to make soup and watch movies all day. Works for me.

20. Jamie
    Posted March 7, 2009 at 10:24 AM | Permalink

I hate to say it, but a trip to Florida is exactly what you need – I will give you my spare guest room – 10 minutes from Siesta Beach, all you have do is cook dinner every now and then!!

21. Vickie
    Posted March 7, 2009 at 12:45 PM | Permalink

I have terrible winter blahs, and the older I get, the worse they become. I just got an electric blanket this year, too and I love it. It is so soothing!

I also read the entire Twilight series and I plan to buy the movie the day it comes out, but I am very careful who I share that with!

Thanks for the link to Clara. She is precious. She reminds me of my 95 year old grandmother.

I enjoyed this post.

22. melly~
    Posted March 8, 2009 at 8:40 PM | Permalink

loved this post. your words are my exact thoughts.

i think to shake off my winter blues i did two important things:
    1.)i stopped taking anti-depressants and 2.) planned something to look forward to. for me it was a trip this summer. but it could be something as simple as thinking of fresh tomatoes from the summer garden. i had to start thinking ahead.

a little warm weather and i feel myself waking along with the tulips in my yard. i’ve been baking, cooking, knitting AND reading. i’m a fork’s dork too. you are not alone. 🙂

thanks for sharing your thoughts. spring is coming. i swear.

23. j*amy
    Posted March 10, 2009 at 8:15 AM | Permalink

i loved the part about twilight!!! such a great serious. that would really suck though, being a vamp and not being able to eat!! that is what i would miss. buuut for edward…i dunno…

i hope things start warming up and getting better for you!