Roasted Tomatoes

“SNAP OUT OF IT!”

That has to be one of my all-time favorite scenes: Cher slapping Nicholas Cage, twice even, and yelling “snap out of it!” in the movie Moonstruck after he proclaimed his love for her. So I had Cher come over and slap me around a few times and I’m better now. Really. I want to thank you all for your comments, emails, snail mail, and phone calls to cheer me out of my Winter Blahs. You all had some fantastic ideas on how to get out of the blahs. I have to say it is a bit warmer here now and that cheered me right up. I have even started to Spring Clean. Yucky, I know but then I am so pleased with the results.

Last week I vacuumed under and behind my bed. Sounds dull but that is a huge task. I bumped my noggin’ so many times while under there, found some lost sock twins, and a book I had been looking for.

I told you that I have been on a detox diet in which I have eaten fruits, veggies, legumes, nuts and seeds, rice, and chicken and fish. Let me tell you, the weight melts off like butter when I eat like this. I avoided all other meats, fried foods, dairy (except I did have yogurt for the probiotics), glutens, alcohol, caffeine, all sweeteners except steevia, chocolate, all processed foods, and all oils except olive. My four weeks is up and it is time to bring back some of the foods I love (pasta!) but I will do it in moderation. The perks from doing this is that I have lost weight, my skin has cleared up, zippo headaches (this is huge), and I do not feel bloated, oh and I have pretty good energy. Which leads me to a recipe that I love. It seems I have found ways to enjoy vegetables to the max by trying different cooking techniques to make them shine. No overly boiled, bland veggies here folks.

This is the best way to perk up a tasteless winter tomato for your salad or a simple side dish. The tomato flavor is concentrated, sweet, and the garlic on these is killer. And you should have smelled my house while these were roasting. Drool.

Roasted Tomatoes
Roma Tomatoes- as many as you want
Kosher salt
fresh cracked black pepper
Balsamic vinegar
olive oil
sugar
fresh garlic, sliced thinly

Preheat your oven to 250°. Line a jelly roll pan with foil and spray with a non-stick spray. Slice the tomatoes in half long ways and dig out the seeds with your fingers, discarding the seeds. Place the tomatoes, flesh side up on the foil. Drizzle with vinegar then oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and sugar-just a little, and top with the sliced garlic. Roast for 2 hours. Serve as a side, in a salad, over favorite meat, or tossed in pasta.

The Spring Cleaning starts here. This is my tween’s room. This will be a two day job and it will look like this again in one week. I promise. Ugh.

1. Rindy R
    Posted March 10, 2009 at 7:10 AM | Permalink

Yeah – I’m glad you’re back from the blahs! Your tomatoes look great – I have never tried to do that before. Good look with the Spring cleaning – I have been having some showdowns with some dust bunnies myself!

2. j*amy
    Posted March 10, 2009 at 8:16 AM | Permalink

these look yummy. did you use regular sugar? i know you said something about cutting it out with the detox diet.

and way to go on that!! i wish i had enough discipline!

3. scottnjoyce
    Posted March 10, 2009 at 8:26 AM | Permalink

Robin,
    You are so right about your “detox” diet. I was away for work and couldn’t really control what I was eating-I felt horrible-too much processed food, etc.
    I had forgotten how bad I used to feel all the time-and didn’t even know it.
    Thanks for a yummy idea to make vegetables more appealing!!

4. Joan Nova
    Posted March 10, 2009 at 8:44 AM | Permalink

Reading about your detox routine has inspired me to do the same and those tomatoes look so succulent! P.S. Good luck with that tween room.

5. Helen
    Posted March 10, 2009 at 9:16 AM | Permalink

We had two days of above 50 degrees over the weekend and I swear it was like the sunshine poured directly into my soul. I also did a bit of spring cleaning. By the way, the pic of the tween’s room is cracking me up and making me very glad mine is all grown up now!

6. Sara
    Posted March 10, 2009 at 9:18 AM | Permalink

My favorite way to eat vegetables is roasted. These tomatoes look so delicious, I’m ready for some tomatoes that actually have flavor 🙂

7. Dawn
    Posted March 10, 2009 at 10:16 AM | Permalink

I adore Moonstruck. Reminds me of my hubbys’ family.
    Did you do the detox diet that oprah did or the one from the book? I’ve wanted to try that so badly but am afraid of not being able to have my coffee. Take away everything else, but my coffee, how can I do it?

8. EAT!
    Posted March 10, 2009 at 10:45 AM | Permalink

I am roasting some tomatoes this week for soup. The tomatoes are a little scary these days. Can’t wait for those big Jersey tomatoes this summer.

And the reason they can’t close the drawers is?!!!… I am thinking of employing drastic tactics to get those three kids that live with us to pick up their clothes. I’ll let you know if any of them work.

9. Kelli
    Posted March 10, 2009 at 11:05 AM | Permalink

I have been considering a detox diet– would you mind sharing yours with me? I am a reader from Virginia but living in Michigan so your blog has a special place in my heart right now!

kelgirl105 at yahoo dot com

Posted March 10, 2009 at 11:31 AM | Permalink

j*amy- I did use white sugar. About 1/2 of a tsp for 16 tomato halves. It is just enought to start the carmelization during the roasting process. I don't think it is enough sugar to hurt me but you can also leave it out, but I like it with.

Kelli Joyce and Dawn- The detox I used was called Metagenics Ultra Clear. You can get it on line or through a chiropractor. This was the third time I have done it and try to do it every 12- 18 months. But this last time I did not tolerate the ultraclear as it aggravated my acid reflux- which that has never happened but I did eat a lot of chocolat over the holidays which kills me! So I think I went into it with the A.R. and the shake was too acidic for me. So I only did about 10 days of the shake and not even the full dose. So I just followed the strict diet on the Patient Guide on page 14. I think doing this diet for 28 days and taking some nice probiotics in pill or yogurt form and some vitamins may be a good change for our body anyway. I am not an expert so you will have to talk to your doctor or naturalist about what is best for you. Here is the link to the Patient Guide so you can see what you can and can't eat. I do feel great from it though!!!

Eat! do let me know how you are getting your kids to clutter control other than throwing it on the front lawn. When I do that it only angers them and does not get my point across! Yeah what is it with not closing the drawers!!?

11. Elyse
    Posted March 10, 2009 at 11:55 AM | Permalink

Sounds like your detox went perfectly!! I think everything in moderation may be an overused mantra, but it is so true! These roasted tomatoes look like a yummy, flavorful treat to help you stay on track. Man, do I love tomatoes!!

12. Laura
    Posted March 10, 2009 at 1:35 PM | Permalink

Wow you have some serious willpower.

The tomatoes look great.

13. Karen
    Posted March 10, 2009 at 2:29 PM | Permalink

I love tomatoes like this. Will have to roast some more this week. Good luck with your daughter’s room… I know how that goes! LOL Everything my daughter owned or wore ended up on the floor. I just closed the door and let her be. The night she got married I came home to see her gorgeous wedding dress in a heap on the floor and she was off on her honeymoon. I picked up the dress, hugged it, and cried. Now she has her own daughter (2-1/2) and she now has to clean up *her* room! What goes ’round comes ’round 🙂

14. biz319
    Posted March 10, 2009 at 3:23 PM | Permalink

Glad you back and your spirits are raised!

Yummy looking tomatoes too!

Wish I could send some of my daughters organization your way – I have been able to eat off of her floor since about age 8. Right about the time she fired me from doing her laundry!

15. Peter M
    Posted March 10, 2009 at 4:19 PM | Permalink

Those roasted tomatoes are a thing of beauty…and agreed…a wonderful method for coaxing flavour out of blah winter tomatoes.

Good luck with the tweens’ cleanup!

16. noble pig
    Posted March 10, 2009 at 4:39 PM | Permalink

Oh I have a couple kids rooms that look like that except it’s legos and hot wheels EVERYWHERE.

I love roasted maters…perfect for everything.

17. Maria
    Posted March 10, 2009 at 5:28 PM | Permalink

Good for you! I wish I could be that strict with my diet. I never eat meat and avoid fried foods, white flour, etc. but I can never give up my sweets. Luckily, I get lots of the good stuff to go with my sugar:) I love roasted tomatoes, the flavor is oh so good!

18. Lisa
    Posted March 10, 2009 at 5:37 PM | Permalink

Those tomatoes are making my mouth water. What a fabulous bouquet of flavors!

19. Linda
    Posted March 10, 2009 at 5:43 PM | Permalink

These look so good! I am going to try this. I am on a detox diet right now…hubby is away for a week so it is a good time to do it.
    So far, 4 pounds down.

20. Melissa
    Posted March 10, 2009 at 7:18 PM | Permalink

I love roasted tomatoes, they have so much flavor!

21. Sabrina
    Posted March 10, 2009 at 7:46 PM | Permalink

so glad to have you back Robin Sue. Sure did miss the posts. You look great after the cleanse. I did not think you could get smaller. Good luck on the spring cleaning.

22. Linda
    Posted March 10, 2009 at 10:55 PM | Permalink

I use a grapefruit spoon to get the seeds out of tomatoes and cukes!

23. GFE--gluten free easily
    Posted March 10, 2009 at 11:12 PM | Permalink

So glad you are feeling better, Robin Sue! The roasted tomatoes look terrific. I usually like a combo of tomatoes, green peppers, and onion.

You might want to look into testing for gluten issues from sensitivity to celiac. A lot of your concerns can be related to gluten. I had headaches daily (sometimes migraines) until I went gluten free. Now, a headache is a sign I’ve accidentally eaten gluten. (Many folks who have gone GF say that.) Bloating is often an issue for folks with gluten issues. (It certainly was for me and one of our support group members swears if she accidentally eats gluten, she suddenly looks a few months pregnant.) And, my acid reflux also went away when I went gluten free. Food for thought. Email me if you’d like more info. Oh, BTW, Oprah wasn’t truly on a gluten-free diet when she did her detox because she was eating spelt per the recipes on her website. Spelt contains gluten.

Spring cleaning … it’s coming …

Shirley

24. jancd
    Posted March 10, 2009 at 11:41 PM | Permalink

I made these today, let them cool and then just stood there and ate them on crackers…..they were wonderful, tasted like “real” tomatoes!!! Had to walk away before I ate them all!! Thanks for this suggestion.

25. Grace
    Posted March 11, 2009 at 8:37 AM | Permalink

this is definitely my favorite way to consume tomatoes. the concentrated flavor just rocks.
    glad you’re back with us!