Salt and Vinegah…..Kale Chips?

Another salt and vinegar treat for all you bitter/salty lovers: The Kale Chip. Over at thekitchn they highlighted Kale Chips and I was immediately drawn to this alternative healthy snack. I struggle trying to “Eat a Rainbow” and eat “Five-A-Day” so I thought what the heck, I’ll give the Kale Chips a try. Love them. I got hooked on kale about 2 years ago when a little deli run by Koreans opened up near Himself’s office. They make the best Kale Salad and one of these days I am going to get up enough chutzpah to ask them how they make it. I always fear rejection. But maybe they will share.

The chips are easy to make. Start with a healthy looking bunch of organic kale like this one.

Cut away the midrib and discard. I had to get all Botany on you, my students would be proud.

Slice each half of the leaf into about four pieces at least 1 generous inch in size.

Place the pieces in your salad spinner, wash, and spin dry.

Dump the greens into the main bowl of the spinner. Whisk together 3T. olive oil and 1 T. apple cider vinegar then pour over greens.

Using your clean, biodegradable, and organic hands toss the greens with the dressing being sure to cover each piece well. Kinda like giving each piece a little oil massage. So good for your hands too.

Place the kale back into the spinner basket and spin one last time. This will insure the kale is dry enough to crisp up while cooking. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper and spread the kale into a single layer. Sprinkle with salt.

Bake in a 400° oven for 12 minutes or until kale is crispy.

Let cool completely before placing the chips in an air-tight container. The whole process took about 20 minutes which was worth it for these incredibly crisp and delicate chips. The great thing is, I got some very dark and healthy greens in me. Try some Kale Chips this week. It is the week to be green.

Here is another thing I made this week…

Strombolizza or just plain ole stuffed-crust pizza but my kids liked my name for it better. I stuffed the crust with salami and cheese. You should see what these guys stuffed their crust with. What would you stuff your crust with?

Have a great weekend!

1. GFE--gluten free easily
    Posted March 13, 2009 at 8:01 AM | Permalink

Wow, what a coincidence! I just bought some kale yesterday to try kale chips after reading about them on a friend’s blog. I’m glad to hear another rave review of them. Your recipe is slightly different. I think hers was just olive oil, salt, and some other spicy seasonings. They both sound great, so I’ll have to try each version. 🙂

Thanks!
    Shirley

2. Melissa
    Posted March 13, 2009 at 8:52 AM | Permalink

I love salt and vinegar chips and these seem to be calling my name! 🙂

3. Joie de vivre
    Posted March 13, 2009 at 9:20 AM | Permalink

Are you kidding me? Wow! We will have a plethora of kale soon so I’ll keep this in mind. I love your direction to use your clean, organic, biodegradable hands. 🙂

4. Rindy R
    Posted March 13, 2009 at 9:23 AM | Permalink

Robin – these look so interesting – and yummy! I have never bought Kale – can you believe it? This recipe might inspire me to buy it though!

5. Amanda @ Fake Ginger
    Posted March 13, 2009 at 9:42 AM | Permalink

Ahh! I just used my kale the other day for some plain kale chips! Looks like I’ll be heading to the store soon. I can’t resist salt and vinegar!

6. Joan Nova
    Posted March 13, 2009 at 9:51 AM | Permalink

ooh…so interesting…and I’m so happy they went in the oven and not a deep fryer!

7. Sabrina
    Posted March 13, 2009 at 10:13 AM | Permalink

Oh, the stromblizza looks so yummy. I think I will try the kale chips. Thanks for telling the overall time. So often, that will dictate if I try something. I know, I know… not a true foodie. Forgive me.

8. biz319
    Posted March 13, 2009 at 10:35 AM | Permalink

I tried making the kale chips once, but didn’t like them. But then again, I don’t like kale!

Your stuffed pizza looks great though!

Have a great weekend!

9. unconfidentialcook
    Posted March 13, 2009 at 10:36 AM | Permalink

We love salt and vinegar….Have you ever had Tim’s (I know they’re not kale or green or healthy but worth the splurge). Thanks for stopping by, and please come again…

10. Netts Nook
    Posted March 13, 2009 at 10:58 AM | Permalink

Kale what a great treat I can’t wait to try. Looks and sounds great.

11. Kate
    Posted March 13, 2009 at 11:26 AM | Permalink

I’ve been meaning to try those Kale chips ever since I saw them on a blog (before TheKitchn, even). No vinegar on mine please, but otherwise they look fantastic and what a great way to get a SuperFood and a snack at the same time. I imagine if you eat it right away, the crispy Kale on top of a salad would be both a crisp crouton and a salty addition at the same time.

12. Burp and Slurp~!
    Posted March 13, 2009 at 11:36 AM | Permalink

I love kale chips! I’ve tried them with cinnamon and sugar, and they are awesome.
    as for the stuffed crust, I’d love to do a sweet version with maple syrup and some kind of nut praline!

13. Dawn
    Posted March 13, 2009 at 11:42 AM | Permalink

I am not a big fan of kale, but since you put apple cider vinegar on them I bet they taste better. Right? Hmmm, I should try this…

14. noble pig
    Posted March 13, 2009 at 1:24 PM | Permalink

Oh wow, this is a great idea…I love it! I bet these taste awesome.

15. pigpigscorner
    Posted March 13, 2009 at 1:41 PM | Permalink

What a healthy snack! I should start doing this for all my veg =)

16. Linda
    Posted March 13, 2009 at 2:53 PM | Permalink

I bet these are great! What a novel idea and so much better for you!

17. Tanya
    Posted March 13, 2009 at 6:15 PM | Permalink

These sound really good! I’m going to have to add this to my “to make” list.

18. Elyse
    Posted March 13, 2009 at 10:31 PM | Permalink

What a balanced post–yummy kale chips and fabulous strombolizza. They both look absolutely delicious. I love placing different types of lettuces/salads/greens into the oven to get crisp; it’s such a perfect snack. I’ve never tried it with kale, though, and after seeing your delicious pics, I simply must. Of course, you know that your pizza looks AMAZING. I’m sure I could eat way more than any one person should.

19. Lucy
    Posted March 14, 2009 at 7:50 AM | Permalink

Kale chips look wonderful, and the pizza looks so amazingly yummy!

20. Denise in PA
    Posted March 14, 2009 at 8:27 AM | Permalink

Hi Robin – Kale must be the new “thing”! I heard about roasted kale from a friend a month or so ago and have been making it ever since. My DH, who would never before have put a green in his mouth, raved over it. This is a great addition! I’m going to make some this weekend!

21. Sandy
    Posted March 14, 2009 at 10:25 AM | Permalink

I’m just not a big kale lover. But this looks fantastic!

Happy Weekend!

22. Karen
    Posted March 14, 2009 at 2:26 PM | Permalink

Love kale. Love salt & vinegar. Yum, yum 🙂

23. Grace
    Posted March 14, 2009 at 2:41 PM | Permalink

i saw these on the kitchn too, and i’m so glad you made them and proved that they’re as good as i thought they’d be. 🙂

24. Lisa
    Posted March 17, 2009 at 2:19 PM | Permalink

Isn’t kale amazing? These look so good. Thanks for the step by step. Maybe now I will actually try them.