April Fool’s “Meatloaf with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy”

For the last few April Fool’s Days we have told our children that there is no school because it is snowing outside. They have now caught on. Two years ago my SIL Donna and gang were here over Spring Break and got to celebrate April Fool’s Day with us. She and I told the children that we were having “Meatloaf with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy” for dinner. They were not happy at all. Even when we placed the plated “trick” in front of them they still balked. Then one of them dug in and realized they had been had. Then the trick was on Donna and me when they asked what we were serving for dessert! They loved this prankster dinner.

What are your favorite April Fool’s Day pranks?

Happy Anniversary to Ma and Dad. They met at an April Fool’s Day dance a long time ago. Fools.

1. GFE--gluten free easily
    Posted April 1, 2009 at 7:37 AM | Permalink

Wow, it sure looks convincing!!! I’d go for those “mashed potatoes and gravy” in a heartbeat! 😉

Shirley

2. Sheila
    Posted April 1, 2009 at 9:07 AM | Permalink

I would never have guessed what that actually was without looking at the recipe!

I am not really able to pull off Fool’s day jokes, but I have been tempted to try to feed my kids “dog food dip.” Just have never done it.

Happy anniversary to your parents! It’s interesting to hear how others met.

3. Sara
    Posted April 1, 2009 at 9:14 AM | Permalink

That is so cool, I bet your kids loved it!

4. j*amy
    Posted April 1, 2009 at 10:28 AM | Permalink

um, i love meatloaf and mashed potatoes, so i might have been bummed to find out it wasn’t what i expected! hahha, it looks so real.

5. Elyse
    Posted April 1, 2009 at 12:25 PM | Permalink

What a realistic trick! Wow, I’m impressed. Sadly, I have no great tricks. My dad used to pretend to slam his finger in the door and would squirt ketchup on his finger as fake blood. That one only worked once.

6. oneordinaryday
    Posted April 1, 2009 at 12:27 PM | Permalink

So fun!
    My kids got blue milk for breakfast today and there was much shoe stuffing before bedtime so we wouldn’t be able to slip our shoes on this morning.
    My fave, however, was my son’s packed school lunch. I opened the bag of cheetohs and subbed them for carrots, then sealed the bag back up. I can’t wait to hear what he thought of that!
    Michelle

7. Lori
    Posted April 1, 2009 at 12:51 PM | Permalink

Its too late for this year but I sure will do this for next year. How funny is that. Cute.

8. biz319
    Posted April 1, 2009 at 1:19 PM | Permalink

Happy Anniversary to your parents!

My brother, somehow in college was able to change all the clocks in his frat house, even peoples watches on their hands, to be one hour earlier.

Everyone ended up getting to their classes an hour early!

9. noble pig
    Posted April 1, 2009 at 2:50 PM | Permalink

OMG we are so on the same wavelength here…hilarious!

happy April Fool’s!

10. Karen
    Posted April 1, 2009 at 4:01 PM | Permalink

Those look SO real! I studied the picture trying to guess what it really was and couldn’t come up with anything but meatloaf and mashed potatoes, so then I looked at the recipe and was so surprised. What a great ‘trick’ to play on kids – or anybody!

11. HoneyB
    Posted April 2, 2009 at 9:23 AM | Permalink

I had to enlarge the photo to see WHAT it was! LOL. It really looked like Mashed potatoes with gravy & meaotoaf!

I haven't tried to pull off an April Fool's joke in a long, long time.

12. Joan Nova
    Posted April 2, 2009 at 10:13 AM | Permalink

Fun, but I’d prefer a real meatloaf and smashed potatoes. Color me O-L-D!

13. Suzy
    Posted April 2, 2009 at 10:40 AM | Permalink

That’s an excellent trick! I tried my hand at some Fakeghetti this year and I love how it turned out.

14. Nicole
    Posted April 2, 2009 at 1:18 PM | Permalink

Cute! I would much rather have this than meatloaf as well. I actually HATE meatloaf.

15. Jennifer
    Posted April 2, 2009 at 1:52 PM | Permalink

I have a twin sister and in high school on April fools day, we would wear the same outfit (with our best friends who are twins) and switch some classes. We never got caught!

I didn’t play any pranks yesterday!