Bake Ricotta over Roasted Tomatoes and Angel Hair Pasta

Sometimes I want something quick, fancy schmancy, but easy too. Remember I had roasted some tomatoes? I had several leftover in my refrigerator even after I had been eating them as snacks, atop my salads, or as a beautiful topper to some baked orange roughy- that’s the greatest thing about cooking in bulk. Tonight I had made the children a pot of angel hair pasta and my Marinara Sauce. I tossed my pasta with a little olive oil then topped it with those sweet and flavorful Roasted Tomatoes, and a wonderful treat of Baked Ricotta.

The best way to use up a bit of leftover ricotta is to bake it for a creamy yet crumbly treat to round out any pasta dish. If you have your tomatoes already roasted, simply reheat in the microwave and the rest of this dish is done in about 20 minutes. With a nice crusty loaf of bread and a big green salad you will have a very simple and elegant Italian meal.

Baked Ricotta
Ricotta cheese, as much as you like
olive oil
Kosher salt
Fresh cracked black pepper
Italian Seasoning- I used Penzeys’ Tuscan Sunset

Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Spread ricotta to about 1/2 inch thickness and drizzle with a little olive oil. Sprinkle with the seasonings, salt, and pepper. Bake in a 400° oven for 20 minutes or until the cheese is lightly golden. Remove from pan and crumble over pasta. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.

Get this away from me! I was very tempted to eat the entire bowl it was so good.

Try some Baked Feta too.

Have a Scrumptious Weekend!

1. Sheila
    Posted April 9, 2009 at 8:18 AM | Permalink

I have enjoyed baked brie and baked goat cheese but never thought of ricotta. I would have thought it would just be mush, but it looks amazing! Certainly a treat, but a healthy one in moderation.

Thank you for another great idea.

2. EAT!
    Posted April 9, 2009 at 11:10 AM | Permalink

Just found a recipe for that pound of ricotta in my fridge.

3. Elra
    Posted April 9, 2009 at 11:39 AM | Permalink

I can imagine how delicious this baked ricotta is. I am so tempted to make it my self.
    Cheers,
    elra

4. Joie de vivre
    Posted April 9, 2009 at 11:41 AM | Permalink

I’ve never heard of such a thing! This is reminding me of your calzone post when Mama gets to eat the gooey, baked cheese that oozes out. It just makes me want to eat the whole thing!

5. unconfidentialcook
    Posted April 9, 2009 at 11:43 AM | Permalink

Quick. Easy. Fancy Schmancy. They work for me. THat baked riccota looks fantastic. I’d love to know which tiny treat your daughter likes best–very fun projects, and they’re good, too!

6. Judy
    Posted April 9, 2009 at 12:29 PM | Permalink

I made some homemade cottage cheese on Tuesday and this will be the perfect use for it! I received two small bottles of the Tuscan seasoning for free with my last two orders from Penzeys and love it.

I’ve been really bad about my blog – but I’ll take some pics when I make this.

7. Jennifer
    Posted April 9, 2009 at 1:24 PM | Permalink

I have never heard of baking ricotta, or feta, but it sounds amazing!

My kids don’t like when I put ricotta in things, they think it tastes too mushy. But doing it this way probably changes the texture a little? I love it! Thanks for sharing!

8. Karen
    Posted April 9, 2009 at 4:08 PM | Permalink

Great idea – would have never thought of baking ricotta by itself. I’ll have to give it a try!

9. Dawn
    Posted April 9, 2009 at 6:02 PM | Permalink

I am not making this! no no no no!
    bad, I know I would eat away at this one. LOL

10. Maria
    Posted April 9, 2009 at 6:13 PM | Permalink

Wow that looks good! Nice one!

11. biz319
    Posted April 9, 2009 at 7:27 PM | Permalink

Wow, never thought to bake ricotta cheese!

Great idea!

12. Elyse
    Posted April 9, 2009 at 8:26 PM | Permalink

That baked ricotta looks delicious! I’m pretty sure I could eat it plain (although it sure looks scrumptious with roasted tomatoes and pasta). Mmm, I’m craving this creamy, crispy, crumbly treat now!

13. GFE--gluten free easily
    Posted April 9, 2009 at 9:41 PM | Permalink

As you know I love easy and simple! Beautiful. 🙂 And, I don’t know how I never noticed Tuscan Sunset before in the Penzey’s catalog. Must get some of that.

Thanks!
    Shirley

14. Laurie
    Posted April 10, 2009 at 1:09 AM | Permalink

I have never heard of baked ricotta, but this is one recipe I will definitely try. I always have a bit of leftover ricotta for some reason.

I finally got the “Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes” cookbook and I LOVE it, even though I haven’t gotten past the original recipe.

The past week has been such a heavy week at work that I haven’t had time to blog, or watch TV, or answer emails – BUT, my family has had fresh baked bread every night.

It really is that easy. Thanks for the tip!

15. Rindy R
    Posted April 10, 2009 at 8:02 AM | Permalink

Leave it to you Robin to come up with something so ridiculously scrumptious! I can’t wait to try this one.
    Hope your having a great Spring Break! Miss you!

16. RecipeGirl
    Posted April 10, 2009 at 12:39 PM | Permalink

Wow, we are really thinking on the same wavelength. I was just thinking yesterday that I have a strong desire to roast some tomatoes and do fabulous things with them. Can’t wait to get my hands on some!

17. Tammy
    Posted April 10, 2009 at 1:56 PM | Permalink

What an interesting recipe! I’ve never thought of baking ricotta, and now I’m wondering where it’s been all my life! The roasted tomatoes and baked ricotta look like a match made in heaven. Thanks for sharing!

18. Kevin
    Posted April 10, 2009 at 6:57 PM | Permalink

That looks good!

19. That Girl
    Posted April 11, 2009 at 3:04 PM | Permalink

I’m dying at your beautiful pasta dish during passover! I’m going to try it this week with spaghetti squash!

20. Lisa
    Posted April 11, 2009 at 5:33 PM | Permalink

Your pasta dish sounds like such a great idea! I will definitely be trying this. Thanks.

21. noble pig
    Posted April 12, 2009 at 11:46 AM | Permalink

That looks amazing!

22. Grace
    Posted April 12, 2009 at 12:05 PM | Permalink

i had no idea you could do this with ricotta, but it’s brilliant! and really, i’d eat it exactly as you’ve prepared it here–simmple and delicious.

23. Joie de vivre
    Posted April 12, 2009 at 7:35 PM | Permalink

Robin,
    Thanks for the recommendation on the Make a mix book!

24. Peter M
    Posted April 13, 2009 at 10:14 PM | Permalink

Ummm, this islike tomatoes sunnyside up! I love the loo kof this dish.

25. JennyMac
    Posted April 15, 2009 at 3:31 PM | Permalink

Very cool RobinSue….I always seem to have Ricotta leftover from using it with lasagna or other dishes….what a unique way of using the leftover!….how about combining the feta with ricotta and baking it….THUD!