Eating a Rainbow – Orange: Warm Yam and Chickpea Salad

This recipe in its many forms has been circling around the food blogs and I thought I would join the hoopla. So glad I did as I discovered a delicious ORANGE recipe to help me Eat A Rainbow. We will celebrate Mr. ROY G. BIV’s second letter in his name with this delicious Yam Salad.

Orange fruits and vegetables include yellow apples, apricots, cantaloupe, grapefruit, lemons, nectarines, oranges, peaches, pineapples, tangerines, butternut squash, carrots, yellow peppers, pumpkin, summer squash, sweet corn, yams and sweet potatoes. Orange you glad Newton added orange to the rainbow? The members of the orange family contain beta-carotene an antioxidant responsible for boosting the immune system.

Warm Yam and Chickpea Salad
6 yams peeled and cubed
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
3 T. olive oil
Kosher salt to taste

In a large pot boil yams until tender. Drain and put yams back into the pot. Sprinkle with about 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt. Mix well. Add and mix well:

1 can drained and rinsed chickpeas
1/2 chopped red onion
1 bunch cilantro washed and chopped
Tahini Sauce

Tahini Sauce
3 T. fresh lemon juice
2 T. water
3 T. well stirred tahini
3 T. olive oil

Mix the above ingredients using an immersion blender or in a regular blender and fold into salad. Garnish salad with cilantro.

I did not roast my yams so it had the consistency of potato salad but next time I would like to try roasting the yams. I used yams instead of pumpkin, butternut squash or sweet potatoes because that is what I had and I very much enjoyed the sweetness in contrast with the sauce and onions. This is a very versatile and delicious dish. Give it a try and see what version you come up with.

Other versions of this salad:
Smitten Kitchen’s Warm Butternut Squash and Chickpea Salad
Orangette’s Warm Butternut and Chickpea Salad with Tahini
BBC’s Warm Pumpkin and Chickpea Salad with Tahini
The Duo Dishes’ Warm Sweet Potatoes and Chickpea Salad with Tahini Dressing
Pig Pig’s Corner’s Version too!

Other ORANGE recipes on BRK:
Butternut Squash Soup
Grilled Saturn Peaches in Praline Sauce a la mode

Related Posts:
Eating a Rainbow- Red: Grape Salad

1. Sabrina
    Posted April 3, 2009 at 8:19 AM | Permalink

wow, that certainly is an interesting mix. I will give this a try sometime. I think I like the idea of roasted too.

2. Karen
    Posted April 3, 2009 at 12:07 PM | Permalink

Now that you said it reminded you of a potato salad, I think I’ll add some chickpeas to my *next* potato salad! This sounds like an interesting combination of flavors – and colorful!

3. Sheila
    Posted April 3, 2009 at 4:49 PM | Permalink

This looks delicious. I love chickpeas but never do anything besides eat them as is. And this sounds and looks so light and refreshing for spring, even though I would only think of yams in the fall.

4. That Girl
    Posted April 4, 2009 at 12:26 AM | Permalink

I really don’t do enough with yams. Other than candied….

5. Elyse
    Posted April 4, 2009 at 12:21 PM | Permalink

Wow! This salad sounds totally delicious. I’m a huge fan of chick peas (so, of course, I love tahini, too). I can’t wait to try this out. I’m loving your ROY G BIV project!

6. Grace
    Posted April 4, 2009 at 2:21 PM | Permalink

i do love the orangeness of this, set off perfectly by the purple and green. it’s a gorgeous dish, and hey–there’s tahini, so i know it’s good. 🙂

7. Joan Nova
    Posted April 4, 2009 at 6:52 PM | Permalink

First time I’ve seen it. Interesting combination of ingredients. I’ll have to keep it in mind.

8. GFE--gluten free easily
    Posted April 5, 2009 at 10:20 PM | Permalink

What a lovely and unusual salad! I love all those ingredients. 🙂

Thanks, Robin Sue!
    Shirley

9. The Duo Dishes
    Posted April 5, 2009 at 11:53 PM | Permalink

Wow, so glad your site came up as an incoming link. Thanks for including us in your list. We loooooved this salad! And you had a good idea with the pumpkin pie spice. This is totally a dish that takes those cinnamon/nutmeg-ish flavors nicely. Go Mr. BIV!

10. Kevin
    Posted April 9, 2009 at 6:48 AM | Permalink

This salad sounds good with the yams and the pumpkin pie spice!

One Trackback

1. […] a pint jar and layered with couscous and baby spinach. This was based off Big Red Kitchen’s yam and chickpea salad and Orangette’s butternut squash and chickpea salad with tahini. Either make the salad ahead […]