Copper River Salmon is Here!

So what is the big deal with Copper River Salmon? This rich red, generously marbled fish highly coveted during mid-May to mid-June is the most delicious of all salmons- at least in my opinion. The Pacific Northwest is a frenzy during this time with restaurants touting to be the first with their bountiful catch. It is big business in Seattle and restaurants spare no expense in being the first to offer this prize of Alaska’s Copper River.

You want to season this fish gently to enjoy it’s nutty flavor. I simply pat dry with a paper towel, rub with butter, and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. I chose to grill the fish skin side down first for about 7 minutes on medium high heat then flipped and grilled on fleshy side for 2 minutes. Do not over cook this fish. I left mine under-cooked with a thin translucent ribbon of red in the center.

Served on a bed of Italian Potatoes and a simple baby spinach salad with sliced sweet apples, Parmesan cheese, and croutons, the Copper River Salmon was a big star. So fresh and delicious. Go to your local fishmonger for some of the best salmon you may ever eat.

Something New

Three weeks ago, Necco and Snickers joined our family. Click on the above picture for a closer look. So cute! They are Sugar Gliders which are tiny marsupials who are nocturnal, cute, and very entertaining to watch. Necco is our male White Face Blonde and Snickers is a female Grey. They are tiny and chatty, belting out little noises that we are still trying to figure out what they are telling us. They bark, crab, hiss, squeak, whimper, and chatter. We are still in the bonding process with them and it will take some time before they get used to their humans but once they do they are bonded for life. I’ll keep you posted with Sugar updates.

1. EAT!
    Posted June 4, 2009 at 9:10 AM | Permalink

Where do you buy the salmon?

2. Penny
    Posted June 4, 2009 at 9:39 AM | Permalink

That Salmon looks awesome! I will have to look for it. The potatoes are not to shabby either. And the sugar gliders are adorable.

3. Sheila
    Posted June 4, 2009 at 10:10 AM | Permalink

I love fresh salmon. I have never grilled it, just broiled it. By the way, where did you buy your salmon?

Those little sugar gliders look as sweet as their names:)

4. pigpigscorner
    Posted June 4, 2009 at 11:15 AM | Permalink

Love the colour on the salmon! I enjoy eating salmon this way too, simple yet so delicious!

5. Scribbit
    Posted June 4, 2009 at 11:18 AM | Permalink

And here I take it for granted, having fresh salmon all summer long–we eat it constantly and stock the freezer for winter.

Though the Copper River is really a dangerous river to fish. Very fast and silty so we tend to avoid that one.

Posted June 4, 2009 at 12:15 PM | Permalink

EAT! and Sheila- I got the salmon at Wegman's. It is called Sockeye Copper River Salmon. They will have it until mid June then it is gone but will have the other regular salmons instead.

7. That Girl
    Posted June 4, 2009 at 1:08 PM | Permalink

When I worked in a restaurant, copper river salmon season was always a big deal.

8. unconfidentialcook
    Posted June 4, 2009 at 1:16 PM | Permalink

I lOVE this salmon…and believe it or not our Costco gets it every year. I totally agree that the simpler the better with this delicious fish.

9. Jenn@slim-shoppin
    Posted June 4, 2009 at 1:51 PM | Permalink

I've never seen animals like that. I'm sure your kids are so excited about the new pets.

Keep us posted on how they are bonding with your family.

What do they eat?

Posted June 4, 2009 at 2:35 PM | Permalink

Jenn@slim-shoppin- After having a Rottie these little guys are easy to care for and feed. They eat a special protien "ice cream" that we mixed up for them and fruits and veggies. We are closer to them every day and someday they will not be so fearful of us, it will take some time!

11. Joan Nova
    Posted June 4, 2009 at 3:36 PM | Permalink

Oh, dear, I was having such a good time reading about the salmon till I got to Necco and Snickers…ooh…that was quite a surprise (and, sorry, for me – not a pleasant one).

12. finsmom
    Posted June 4, 2009 at 10:25 PM | Permalink

Sugar Gliders?!?!?

SO COOL!!!!!!!!

13. Karen
    Posted June 5, 2009 at 2:07 PM | Permalink

The salmon looks delish! One of my favorites πŸ™‚

14. Jeff
    Posted June 5, 2009 at 2:17 PM | Permalink

Jealous and I am going to have to unsubscribe. πŸ™‚ Trying to find copper river and *sniff* no luck.

May have to give it another shot tomorrow just to be sure.

Nicely done and way to keep it simple!

15. Grace
    Posted June 5, 2009 at 5:41 PM | Permalink

since i don't like salmon, i very nearly skipped this post altogether. thank heavens i didn't–those critters are adorable! i've never heard of them yet that doesn't stop me from wanting some of my very own. πŸ™‚

16. NicoleEHolt
    Posted June 6, 2009 at 9:00 AM | Permalink

Congrats on the sugar gliders. We had flying squirrels growing up.

17. Peter M
    Posted June 6, 2009 at 4:05 PM | Permalink

The colour of the salmon is gorgeous…keep this source close at hand. It's hard to find quality salmon.

This are grilled perfectly!

18. gfe--gluten free easily
    Posted June 8, 2009 at 1:06 PM | Permalink

OMG, that salmon is gorgeous. I crave salmon. We are getting a Wegman's in town, but not until June 21. I guess it will be too late for this salmon. πŸ™

The sugar gliders are so cute. Love their names. I had a friend who had some before and I was always giving her my Crown Royale bags … they loved to snuggle in them. πŸ™‚ A good reason to buy some Crown Royale or I can send you mine … I hate to throw those nice bags away.

Shirley

19. JenniMiddled
    Posted June 8, 2009 at 8:44 PM | Permalink

I'm in the Seattle area and we look forward to Copper River salmon every year. We grill it in foil with lemon, onion, salt and pepper. Simple but so tasty! I didn't know it was even available in other parts of the country. I thought it was a northwest treat! So glad others get to enjoy it!