Sour Cream Muffin Cakes

IMG_0884.JPG

These muffins are so good; moist, soft, light, rich in flavor. This recipe is from my Ma, it is her Sour Cream Coffee Cake that I simply poured into muffin cups so that each child could have their own “cake.” My children love these muffins, since they get one all to themselves. But here is what is making me giddy…

Have you ever seen anything like it or do I just live under a rock? My local Whole Foods uses this product for their cupcakes and I hounded the baker there until she gave me the name of their supplier. After a few calls, I found NOVACART and they said that I should sample the products before purchasing to insure I liked them. They eagerly sent a few samples and I tried and I liked. These are Paper Ovenable Muffin Trays which come in trays of 24 or 12, I sampled the 12. They are perforated in order to be separated once baked or you may even bake as many muffins, cupcakes, or quiches as you want, you will need to place them on a tray for baking though. They are free standing, do not require grease, and are so cute with that little ruffle once separated from the frame.

Just think, no more washing those nasty muffin pans. Mine look so gross from all the years of baking in them. Another product of Novacart’s that I like is their Tulip Cups.

They come in three sizes and two colors; white or brown. I like the brown. I think anything made in these is glamorous. These do require muffin pans as they are not stand alone. Boo, back to washing but they are worth it!

Sour Cream Muffin Cakes
1 1/2 cups AP flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream

In a large mixing bowl, mix all ingredients until well blended. Pour 1/3 cup into a standard paper muffin liners in a muffin pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 16 minutes or until toothpick come out clean. I like to sprinkle mine with cinnamon sugar before baking. Makes about 12-14 muffins.

So you do not have to hound your Whole Foods’ Baker…
Tulip Cups- Brown 160 x 160 at $57.60 per case of 1440.

Ovenable Muffin Trays-NTS 2 2oz cup- 250 trays/3000 cups at $170.56 per case.

Prices are from 6/24/09. Shipping is by weight.
Call 1-877-896-6682 and ask for Maria.

Peruse Novacart’s catalog for other beautiful items.

It would be a good idea to go in with friends and family on these or you will be baking a ton of cupcakes and muffins forever.

Happy Shopping!

1. EAT!
    Posted June 26, 2009 at 8:58 AM | Permalink

Send 2 my way please. The coffee is brewing.

I love visiting my restaurant supply store to purchase all kinds of fun baking and packaging items.

Happy baking.

P.S. If you do happen to bake too many cupcakes or muffins, you can send the extras to me. 🙂

2. oneordinaryday
    Posted June 26, 2009 at 9:14 AM | Permalink

Oh, I love those tulip cups. So pretty in brown!
    Wonder if you could add blueberries to these… I have a bunch sitting on the counter and was looking for a blueberry sour cream bread or muffin to bake them in. What do you think?
    Michelle

3. pigpigscorner
    Posted June 26, 2009 at 9:28 AM | Permalink

They look so moist!

4. Ingrid
    Posted June 26, 2009 at 9:30 AM | Permalink

Hi, Robin Sue! These sound (yours look even more tender) and look kinda like the ones I made! I was looking for the recipe but I'll just use yours! 🙂

Those disposable muffin tins are pretty darn cool and I think you're right anything baked in those paper tulip is going to look gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!
    ~ingrid

5. Lucy
    Posted June 26, 2009 at 9:52 AM | Permalink

Oooh Robin Sue those cup cake trays & liners are fabulous, just so cute. I must take a walk to my local restaurant supply to check out their goodies…

Speaking of goodies, those muffins rock!!!! Looking so good & moist, send a couple this way 😉

Posted June 26, 2009 at 10:12 AM | Permalink

Michelle I think blueberries would be great in this muffin. A trick I have learned is to coat the blueberries in flour before adding them to the muffin, this will help a little in keeping them all from sinking to the bottom.

7. unconfidentialcook
    Posted June 26, 2009 at 10:24 AM | Permalink

I don't make muffins just because I dislike washing up so much. I'm gonna head straight to my Whole Foods to see if they have them…and I love those tulip cups, too! THanks.

8. Linda
    Posted June 26, 2009 at 10:38 AM | Permalink

Robin…I love the recipe but those tulip cups are soooo cute!

9. Penny
    Posted June 26, 2009 at 11:20 AM | Permalink

Hi Robin Sue, Love the idea of these muffin cups. Thanks for researching it for all of us. Your Ma's recipes are all good.

10. That Girl
    Posted June 26, 2009 at 1:21 PM | Permalink

When I was little, my mom used to bring home these amazing cream cheese muffins from the hospital where she worked – these look very similar.

11. biz319
    Posted June 26, 2009 at 2:17 PM | Permalink

What a great idea! I don't make muffins too often to warrant this purchase – but too cool!

Have a great weekend!!

12. Grace
    Posted June 26, 2009 at 2:49 PM | Permalink

i've seen no such cups, but that's okay–regardless of the surrounding material, these muffins would be stellar. good call on the cinnamon sugar… 🙂

13. Cate O'Malley
    Posted June 26, 2009 at 2:56 PM | Permalink

Haven't seen those trays before, but they look like a great idea! Purposely not clicking on the link – too dangerous!

14. Sophie
    Posted June 26, 2009 at 4:28 PM | Permalink

These muffins look so lovely & very tasty!
    I would like to savour at least 2 of them,…please?
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM…

15. Melissa
    Posted June 26, 2009 at 8:05 PM | Permalink

Schweetness! Those muffin pans look pretty nifty. And the little cakes sound great!

16. Sara
    Posted June 26, 2009 at 11:24 PM | Permalink

The muffins look amazing, and those trays are just so cool! Someone gave me silicon muffin cups where you bake each one in an individual cup and put them all on a baking tray, haven't tried them yet though.

17. Sabrina
    Posted June 27, 2009 at 6:21 AM | Permalink

Robin the muffins look awesome. I will be making those next week. I'll go in with you on a purchase of the liners or tulip things.

18. Sheila
    Posted June 27, 2009 at 8:14 AM | Permalink

Great ideas as always. I will have to get some of these things and some restaurant depot items before school starts again. By the way, I am interested in you doing a presentation to the moms at school on breakfast and lunch and snack packing ideas for the school year; can we have a date?

19. Jenn@slim-shoppin
    Posted June 27, 2009 at 5:15 PM | Permalink

Nope, you are not living under a rock, I've never heard/seen those either! How clever!!

I HATE washing my muffin tins!!

Thanks for the info Robin Sue!

20. Laura
    Posted June 29, 2009 at 12:06 AM | Permalink

Oh these look just fabulous. I must make soon for my playgroup.

21. Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes]
    Posted June 29, 2009 at 2:34 AM | Permalink

The muffins look great! I only wish I had something of this sort in India!!

22. Patsyk
    Posted June 29, 2009 at 12:45 PM | Permalink

I've never seen those before, but will be checking out their website soon!

I love that you made the cake into mini-cakes so everyone could have their own… truly a fantastic idea!

23. Lori
    Posted June 29, 2009 at 9:06 PM | Permalink

One of the first things my Mother taught me about baking, is that if it has sour cream in it- it's good. She was right. These look amazingly moist and delicious.

24. Laura
    Posted June 29, 2009 at 9:30 PM | Permalink

OK these were FABULOUS–they will be up on my blog tomorrow. Super easy, super tasty, so tender and light and rich all at once. Seriously good, the kids and moms went nuts for them!

25. the epicurean's market
    Posted June 29, 2009 at 11:08 PM | Permalink

Love this! And they looks so tasty too.