White Castle-like Sliders: A How To

Long before Himself and children, my roommate Sara and I would make the trek to White Castle’s for some sliders or Gut Busters as we liked to call them. Piping hot and smelling so good we could down two or three before our brain knew what was happening and made us slow down. Kinda like Krispie Kreme Hot and Nows. Those days are far away and so is the nearest White Castle, therefore I have resorted to making my own. I have tried the frozen kind but I prefer fresh.

Let’s start. First evenly cover the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish with 1/2 cup dried onion flakes.

Firmly pat 2 pounds of ground chuck over top of the onion flakes and sprinkle with your favorite seasoned salt. It must be chuck to render juices, a lean ground beef will be too dry. You need an 80/20 combo for good flavor and juices.

Bake for 25 minutes in a 400 degree oven. The beef will shrink and the onions will rehydrate from the meat juices, er, grease. Blot grease from the top of the giant patty, cover with 6 slices cheddar cheese and return to oven for 2 more minutes.

Cut the burger patty into 24 pieces.

Slice open 24 party rolls and separate. Place bottoms of rolls on a platter. Using a small spatula, lift patties with onions and place on each bun bottom.

Top each slider with a dill slice.

Top off with bun lids and enjoy immediately.

Look at the juicy layer of onions, a signature of White Castle Sliders.

White Castle-like Sliders
1/2 cup dried onion flakes
2 pounds ground chuck- 80/20 ground beef
1/2 t. seasoned salt
6 slices cheddar cheese
24 small party rolls- I use Martin’s Potato Bread Party Rolls
24 dill pickle slices

Evenly spread the onions on the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish. Gently press the ground beef on top of the onion flakes. Press evenly making one giant pattie. Sprinkle with seasoned salt. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Using a paper towel, pat the excess grease from the top of the pattie. Top with cheddar cheese, return to oven for 2 more minutes. Remove from oven, let set 5 minutes then cut into 24 patties. Slice open and separate each party roll. Place bottom of rolls on a large platter. Using a spatula lift pattie with onion layer onto each bun bottom. Top each slider with a pickle slice then the bun lid. Serve immediately. Makes 24 Sliders.

Note- I store these upside-down in an airtight container in the refrigerator. This will prevent the bottom bun from getting soggy from the onion layer. To reheat, place a few on a microwave safe plate and heat in the mircowave for 20 seconds then 5 second increments after that until warm through.

Our last day of school is this Friday, a bittersweet day actually. I look forward to being off with my children this summer but it also hurts me that another year has passed all too quickly. I wish I could slow down time when it comes to my children growing up so fast.

Related Posts
Teriyaki Turkey Sliders
Bratwurst Sliders

1. Sabrina
    Posted June 10, 2009 at 6:19 AM | Permalink

Those look so good. Even this early in the morning. This will be great this summer when I have a house full of kids. Thanks!

• Martha Domke
      Posted June 19, 2013 at 1:01 AM | Permalink

One comment, actually two. I think your meat is way too thick for these. The other thing is, if you ever watched the WC workers put a new batch on the grill, you would see that they have already hydrated the onions. That is what provides the steam for the meat to cook, and the buns to soften.

2. Rindy R
    Posted June 10, 2009 at 6:58 AM | Permalink

I'm with Sabrina – I could do this for breakfast right now! I think I know what Friday dinner is going to be!!

3. Linda
    Posted June 10, 2009 at 8:07 AM | Permalink

This is the best idea I've seen in a long time! I'm excited to find it–my hubby love, love, loves White Castle burgers (yes those frozen kind.)

Talk about bittersweet days–my son had a popcorn and lemonade blow-out in his driveway when his kids got home from their last day of school last week. It doesn't seem that long to me since he was the one coming home from school. 🙁

4. Penny
    Posted June 10, 2009 at 8:42 AM | Permalink

This is such a great idea. When we have the crowd for labor day weekend I am going to make them. You are so right about kids growing up too fast. My son is 30 and I love the man he has become, but I miss the little boy playing with Legos.

5. Lucy
    Posted June 10, 2009 at 9:58 AM | Permalink

Just great, now I can make gut busters at home!! 😉 They're wonderful, I have a White Castle that isn't to close by, so it's a treat now & then when we're in the area.

6. Esi
    Posted June 10, 2009 at 10:42 AM | Permalink

I have never been to White Castle, only had the frozen version, but I am loving this homemade style!!

7. That Girl
    Posted June 10, 2009 at 11:58 AM | Permalink

Even though I grew up on the East Coast, we never lived close enough to a White Castle for me to try the burgers. Well…maybe when I lived in New York – but those first 2 years I wasn't eating any fast food.

8. Karen
    Posted June 10, 2009 at 1:42 PM | Permalink

I love all those onions on the bottom!

9. oneordinaryday
    Posted June 10, 2009 at 2:40 PM | Permalink

I've never been to White Castle or had a slider, but I keep seeing them pop up here and there in blogland.
    You are just brilliant, though, for making them in a lasagna dish and then cutting them apart. I thought you made a ton of little patties. I love the idea and my son would too.

10. Lisa
    Posted June 10, 2009 at 3:37 PM | Permalink

We used to go to White Castle when I was a kid. I remember my brother would eat six! They bring back fun memories. Great idea for how to make them at home.

11. Melissa
    Posted June 10, 2009 at 10:55 PM | Permalink

How cute! Those look and sound so good right now! 🙂

12. noble pig
    Posted June 11, 2009 at 12:42 AM | Permalink

I love your how to, it's the best I've seen…easy-peasy.

13. Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes]
    Posted June 11, 2009 at 6:14 AM | Permalink

These look absolutely delicious! The onion layer must be heaven 🙂

14. Grace
    Posted June 11, 2009 at 6:43 AM | Permalink

tragically, i've never been to white castle OR eaten a slider. golly, that makes me feel sad just typing it. i love this how-to, and the little burgers look tremendously tasty. 🙂

15. KJ
    Posted June 11, 2009 at 9:08 AM | Permalink

I just love the name of your blog…now I want a Big Red Kitchen!!

I look forward to more great recipes…

16. biz319
    Posted June 11, 2009 at 10:28 AM | Permalink

Next time my brother comes to town, I am definitely making these for him – he doesn't mind the onions!!

Great recipe as usual!

17. JoAnn
    Posted June 11, 2009 at 11:30 AM | Permalink

How easy and cool these are! My 11 yo will devour these things of beauty. He's a bottomless pit at this age.

DS just "graduated" from 5th grade and will start Middle School next year. I know what you're saying about time flying…

18. unconfidentialcook
    Posted June 11, 2009 at 12:00 PM | Permalink

I've never been to White Castle, and don't think I've seen one anywhere near here…so I'll be over!

19. Tammy
    Posted June 11, 2009 at 1:54 PM | Permalink

I'm bookmarking this!! A couple of decades ago, I tried to recreate Krystal's burger with a recipe from a Top Secret Recipe cookbook. It used beef baby food- (I almost gag to think about it). But….I made it anyway and my husband LOVED it! This recipe looks much more approachable and palateable- like something we'll like so well that it won't take 2 decades to repeat. Thanks for sharing this fun meal. 🙂

20. Jenn@slim-shoppin
    Posted June 11, 2009 at 2:30 PM | Permalink

Even though I have lived near white castles my whole life, I have never had one!

My Mom would send my brother frozen sliders to college (we went to the same college for a year) and he would nuke them in the microwave and all his friends would be running because they loved the smell.

Your version looks great, maybe I will try the home made version instead!!

21. Sara
    Posted June 11, 2009 at 3:13 PM | Permalink

Would you believe that I've never had a white castle? They sure look good!

22. Charles
    Posted June 11, 2009 at 5:09 PM | Permalink

I grew up on Long Island and the White Castle "ratburger" was king. This was the typical order for a 16 year old guy: "I'll have a dozen rats with cheese. Tuck in the tails, walk 'em."
    Translation: "I would like to order twelve cheeseburgers for take out, please." (The "tuck in the tails" referred to the unique packaging.)

23. Juliana
    Posted June 11, 2009 at 7:30 PM | Permalink

Such a great idea!!! Absolutely love it, makes everything much easier to handle. Now I can handle a Summer party. Love the pictures!

24. JennyMac
    Posted June 11, 2009 at 8:04 PM | Permalink

So cute!!! I'd like to place my delivery order please! lol. Yummy Robin….I am so making those!

25. Anonymous
    Posted June 11, 2009 at 9:02 PM | Permalink

Holy Jeebus those look delicious.