Neapolitan Malt Mousse Pie

Sweet mother of Abraham this is good pie! We are big malt fans in our house and when we visit a diner or old-fashioned lunch counter we get a malt shake, extra malt please. I came across Laura’s layered pie and bookmarked it right away. I love layered desserts. This pie came out great after I made a big boo-boo and had to start over again.

I over-whipped the cream and made butter: a separated glob of vanilla, malted goo. So then I was out of cream, had everything out, and did not want to run to the store. Thank goodness I found Cool Whip in my fridge and used it in place of the cream and sugar. I am definitely going to make this again (with real cream and sugar) and not leave the room while the cream is whipping. I would like to double it and put it in a 9×13 inch dish and take to my next potluck. I think it will be a hit, I may even double, triple, or quadruple the malt. The love is that bad.

For Laura’s Neapolitan Malt Mousse Pie Recipe go here!

By the way, who was Abraham’s mother?

1. figtree
    Posted July 28, 2009 at 6:25 AM | Permalink

I have always loved malt..I have turned many on to malt shakes..This looks sooooooo good.Figtreeapps

2. oneordinaryday
    Posted July 28, 2009 at 8:04 AM | Permalink

That looks fun and so cool. It's so hot here that the ice cream would have melted before I even got a picture of it!
    ~Michelle

3. Pete the Brit
    Posted July 28, 2009 at 8:55 AM | Permalink

I just might have to make that for a potluck I am attending this sunday.

RE: Mother of Abraham, the book of Genesis doesn't say. We know his father Terah and his two brothers, but Abraham's Mom doesn't get a mention 🙁

4. Melissa
    Posted July 28, 2009 at 9:49 AM | Permalink

Ooooh…Pretty colors! =)I've substituted cool whip a time or two and things still worked out. Looks really yummy!

5. noble pig
    Posted July 28, 2009 at 11:56 AM | Permalink

Well I'm glad you messed up because this sounds delish. Cool whip to the rescue everytime.

6. The Cooking Photographer
    Posted July 28, 2009 at 12:09 PM | Permalink

Omgosh Robin Sue thank-you! I thought this pie was all but forgotten. I am so happy and grateful!

Laura

7. That Girl
    Posted July 28, 2009 at 12:48 PM | Permalink

I just finished my last slice of frozen pie! AND I'm out of cool whip 🙁

8. jacci2715
    Posted July 28, 2009 at 1:47 PM | Permalink

I love your blog and get so excited every time you post something new. I even have my parents checking out your recipes, and they never use the computer! My dad loves your mom's bracciol. So my family loves everything malt too, and I can't wait to try this! How did you get the top of the pie to look so beautiful!? Blessings!
    Jacci

Posted July 28, 2009 at 3:17 PM | Permalink

Jacci2715- Thanks for all your kind words! To make the top of the pie, I used a rubber spatula. I placed it on its side at the center of the pie and stared to turn the pie with my other hand while lifting the spatula up and down to make the waves all the while moving outwards as I turned it. It took a few tries before it came out pretty. If I botched it I would have covered it with more cool whip;-)

10. Grace
    Posted July 28, 2009 at 5:47 PM | Permalink

oooh, how delightful! it's so pretty and perfect as far as i can tell. when i read "sweet mother of abraham," i thought to myself, "say, who was abraham's mother?" so i laughed when you posed the same question. 🙂

11. Linda
    Posted July 28, 2009 at 8:00 PM | Permalink

Robin…I love the look and sound of this. I have to try it out!

12. Lucy
    Posted July 28, 2009 at 8:04 PM | Permalink

Robin Sue, this looks so amazing! As a child I loved Neapolitan ice cream & savoring each flavor one by one, and look forward to trying this wonderful mousse pie. 😉

Lucy

13. Nadine
    Posted July 28, 2009 at 8:12 PM | Permalink

Abraham's mother's name is not mentioned in the Torah.

"The full story of…important events in Abraham's early life was only told by word of mouth, from generation to generation, until the details were final1y recorded by the Sages of the Talmud in various Midrashim."

"His father's name, as you all know, was Terah, who was seventy years old when Abraham was born. Abraham's mother's name was Amathlaah."

Source

14. Mari at Once Upon a Plate
    Posted July 28, 2009 at 8:18 PM | Permalink

Gorgeous, Robin Sue!

It looks so refreshing and your photos are wonderful. xo~m

15. Joan Nova
    Posted July 28, 2009 at 9:30 PM | Permalink

Robin,
    That's a spectacular looking dessert, fit for royalty! Great job.

16. Maria
    Posted July 28, 2009 at 9:39 PM | Permalink

What an amazing dessert! Job well done!

17. Penny
    Posted July 29, 2009 at 4:42 PM | Permalink

Great recipe Robin Sue. Glad you passed it along! Just visited Laura's blog for the first time. It's good to expand our exposure to other sites with great food.

18. Ingrid
    Posted July 29, 2009 at 10:44 PM | Permalink

Hey, Robin Sue if you over whip your cream you should be able to pour in a little more cream and GENTLY (key word:))whip it in. Hope that helps for next time.

I love layered desserts too. So pretty and so much easier to photograph.
    ~ingrid

19. Ingrid
    Posted July 29, 2009 at 10:47 PM | Permalink

Duh, meant to also tell you that I've yet to try malt. I bought a bottle of carnation to try but haven't broken into it yet.
    ~ingrid

20. Cyn
    Posted July 29, 2009 at 11:05 PM | Permalink

Awesome!! i love wipped cream!!!

21. Juliana
    Posted July 29, 2009 at 11:54 PM | Permalink

Wow, this pie looks delicious…love the combination of the flavors…and the colors…yummie!

22. Sophie
    Posted July 30, 2009 at 6:10 AM | Permalink

Robin Sue: this dessert looks fabulous!! That is the word!!

Magnificent!!! MMMMMMMMMMM,…

23. Christine Medifast
    Posted July 30, 2009 at 4:25 PM | Permalink

Excellent recipe. Thanks for sharing this. Absolutely love it!

24. Jenn@slim-shoppin
    Posted July 30, 2009 at 10:35 PM | Permalink

Sweet mother of Abraham you are right!!

LOVE this combo.

There is an old fashioned ice cream parlor by my house, we don't go too often, but I always get a malted shake!! Love it!

25. gfe--gluten free easily
    Posted August 3, 2009 at 10:11 PM | Permalink

No malt for us (being gf), but that is beautiful, Robin Sue!

Shirley