Thin-Thin Vietnamese Pork Chops

Have you ever cooked a meal and at the end of it sat back in your chair, top button of pants undone, and proclaimed…

“DANG I’M GOOD!”

Well I have. It happened after this meal of Thin-Thin Vietnamese Pork Chops and Broccoli Slaw which I served along side a big platter of sliced garden tomatoes and golden watermelon. It was a good meal because no one in my family complained- for a change. The butcher at my local grocery store will cut pork chops very thin for me. A thin chop is perfect on the grill, done in 8 minutes and remains so juicy and tender. These can be rubbed or marinated with any variety of seasonings.

I made two versions, one a regular American style rubbed with a chipotle spice blend, seared, then brushed with barbecue sauce, the other a Vietnamese flavored chop, which hands down was my favorite. They tasted very much like the little red barbecue ribs you get from Asian restaurants.

Thin-Thin Vietnamese Pork Chops
4 large cloves garlic, chopped
5 T. fish sauce
4 T. mirin
1 pound thinly sliced (1/4 inch) bone-in pork chops
1/4 cup hoisen sauce

Mix first 3 ingredients in a small bowl, pour into a zip top bag and add pork chops. Mix well so that all sides of pork chops are coated. Marinate 2-24 hours in refrigerator. Prepare grill and get it very hot. I use a charcoal grill so I have no idea how hot mine was. Using tongs place pork chops on hot grill. Sear for one minute on each side then grill each side brushed with hoisen sauce for 2-3 minutes. Do not grill more than 4 minutes on each side or they will be overcooked. Remove from grill onto platter and cover with foil and let rest 5-10 minutes before eating. Serves 4.

NOTE- You may want to double this recipe as these are very delicious and everyone may want two chops!

I needed a slaw that would go well with Asian flavors as well as American barbecue flavors so I came up with…

Broccoli Slaw Salad
one bag broccoli slaw
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sugar
1 T. cider vinegar
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 cup frozen baby peas
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

In a large bowl mix all of the above ingredients. Chill until ready to serve. Serves 6-8.

1. Rindy R
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 7:53 AM | Permalink

Robin – It's about time you wrote your book! I know you have amazing adventures wandering around that head of yours – and I am excited you are finally going to share one with us! I know it will be as delicious as your many recipes! Good luck!

2. Linda
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 8:01 AM | Permalink

How exciting about your book!

Your whole dinner sounds delicious to me, plus I learned two things–never thought about thinly sliced pork chops (how genius), and now I can't wait to add cheddar cheese to my next batch of cole slaw!

3. Melissa
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 8:18 AM | Permalink

That first sentence made me laugh. 🙂 Sun Koo used to bring something like this in all the time, it looks great!! And you are writing a novel…that is so neat!! I can't wait to hear more about it.

4. Lisa
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 9:57 AM | Permalink

Great dinner and good luck on your novel!

5. EAT!
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 10:29 AM | Permalink

Oh I do so love the Asian flavors – thanks for another recipe to add to my recipe box. Not that I really have a box. It is more like miscellaneous recipes scattered around my house.

Congrats on the novel – so very adventureous of you. I hope there will be a few recipes in it.

6. That Girl
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 12:08 PM | Permalink

I always associate Vietnamese food with Pho, which I don't like. My Vietnamese friend is trying to broaden my frame of reference by taking me to fantastic restaurants that don't serve Pho…restaurants that serve stuff like this, which I would LOVE.

7. Penny
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 1:57 PM | Permalink

I know this will be a recipe that I will like! Can hardly wait to try it. Good luck on the novel!

8. Amber
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 2:38 PM | Permalink

yummm! Looks good! Good luck with writing your novel. That's been a dream of mine too!

9. Juliana
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 3:20 PM | Permalink

Sci-Fi Thriller? Sounds great…look forward to it. This pork chops look so yummie…great combo with the broccoli slaw. Nice pictures!

10. Grace
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 3:34 PM | Permalink

you're gonna be an author? how stellar! very best of luck in that endeavor!
    meanwhile, i love pounded pork–the thinness makes it even more appealing, and the flavorings are perfect.

11. Amanda
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 9:00 PM | Permalink

How cool about your book, good luck! These pork chops look awesome!

12. Joan Nova
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 9:50 PM | Permalink

Dang…you are good! Great looking dinner – the chops look delicious and I like the idea of serving them with a fruity and nutty coleslaw. Oh, and about starting a novel…that's very exciting. I look forward to placing my order on Amazon.

13. noble pig
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 10:47 PM | Permalink

Congrats on the writing endeavor. When the bug hits you must do it. Have fun.

14. Cate
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 11:29 PM | Permalink

Pork is really cheap around here, so I've been looking for more inventive things to do with it, and this looks PERFECT because I actually have all the ingredients already in my fridge!

15. Peter M
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 2:06 PM | Permalink

I've had these Viet thin chops and they are delish, only surpassed by the home cooker version here!

16. Ingrid
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 8:39 PM | Permalink

Totally not laugh…just so you know. Good luck with your book! 🙂

Your chops look fantastic. YUM! I've already run to the fridge to make certain I have all the ingredients. I will though be using pork cutlets and alas my grill has fallen and can not get up so I'll be trying out my cast iron grill pan. Wish me luck! 🙂
    ~ingrid

17. pigpigscorner
    Posted July 25, 2009 at 4:04 AM | Permalink

Dang! It looks good!! So juicy and I bet it's super tender!

18. katie
    Posted August 1, 2009 at 10:29 AM | Permalink

Good for you Robin! I have sat down to try many times, its the pushing through I can't seem to do. Keep at it, I love sci-fi!

19. gfe--gluten free easily
    Posted August 3, 2009 at 10:55 PM | Permalink

What an opening line!! ROFL But, you go girl! Love all three of these (two pork chop variations) and will make them very soon. I'm not much of a slaw girl, but I like the cole slaw mix in a salad that I make with dried cranberries and I love red onions and broccoli, so I know I'll like your broccoli slaw. 🙂

Shirley

20. Anonymous
    Posted September 26, 2009 at 5:21 AM | Permalink

Cooked these chops today and it is great. I've been searching google for good Vietnamese pork chops and I'm so glad I found this recipe. thank you

Posted September 26, 2009 at 10:17 AM | Permalink

Anon- Glad you liked them!