Crispy Caramel Marshmallows

I will need to hide these from myself. This little finger food of soft marshmallows enrobed in caramel and rolled in crispy rice cereal may cause a problem in the area of me bum- yes baby’s got back and there’s junk in my trunk. I am practicing my hippy shake talk for my classroom full of teeny boppers next weeks. If my lingo doesn’t make me the coolest chick on the block then these little morsels will. Make these, it will have your kids singing “Don’t you wish yo momma cooks just like mine?”

Crispy Caramel Marshmallows
14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 stick butter
14 ounce bag caramels
10 ounce bag large marshmallows
crispy rice cereal

Over a double-boiler heat milk, butter, and caramels until melted and smooth. Place a marshmallow on a fondue fork-it works the best, and dip into caramel, shaking off excess caramel. Roll in rice cereal and place on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. Repeat with the rest of the marshmallows. Let set for about 30 minutes and store in an airtight container. Makes about 45 pieces.

Note- If you would like to make these on a stick, use a lollipop stick, skewer, or popsicle stick and completely immerse marshmallow in caramel sauce then roll in cereal. The ones below did slip on the stick a bit and would have benefited from a caramel anchor.

I am seeing these in future bake sales. And maybe a few rolled in coconut too.

1. Sabrina
    Posted August 31, 2009 at 9:08 AM | Permalink

Oh my… those look delightful. I want to make them but I am afraid I would eat them all before anyone else.

2. Rindy R
    Posted August 31, 2009 at 9:18 AM | Permalink

What kid wouldn't want to eat one of these – including this kid!

3. oneordinaryday
    Posted August 31, 2009 at 10:35 AM | Permalink

Oh, you're a hoot. My son would be rolling his eyes all over the place if he heard me talking like that. 🙂 You're cracking me up.

Those little treats look pretty good though. My baby girl would be all over them.

4. Fallon
    Posted August 31, 2009 at 11:18 AM | Permalink

Love it!

5. noble pig
    Posted August 31, 2009 at 11:34 AM | Permalink

Wow, I would have to hide them too…too easy to pop in my mouth! I love it!

6. amy grace
    Posted August 31, 2009 at 11:42 AM | Permalink

YUM! these look awesome. now roll some in melted chocolate and graham cracker crumb pieces. 🙂

7. That Girl
    Posted August 31, 2009 at 12:39 PM | Permalink

I wonder how these would work as smores?

8. Anonymous
    Posted August 31, 2009 at 1:18 PM | Permalink

My summer visitors just left but my grandchildren would have loved them (me too), I know who will be trying them though and SOON. Great idea!!

9. Lindsay
    Posted August 31, 2009 at 3:18 PM | Permalink

My grandmother has been making these forever! They are a family favorite! We call them porcupine balls. They freeze really well, and in all honesty, are even a bit better partially frozen!

YUM!

10. Grace
    Posted August 31, 2009 at 3:30 PM | Permalink

oh robin sue. you slay me. what an easy and delicious little treat! and i would DEFINITELY go with the coconut option.

11. EAT!
    Posted August 31, 2009 at 8:35 PM | Permalink

I am seeing a little chocolate drizzle on the ones I make.

Thanks as always for the idea.

12. alanna rose
    Posted August 31, 2009 at 9:03 PM | Permalink

They look so good!
    You have to try them in toasted coconut, that sounds wonderful!

13. Patsyk
    Posted August 31, 2009 at 9:04 PM | Permalink

What an inspired idea! I know my kids would devour these!

14. Morta Di Fame
    Posted August 31, 2009 at 10:02 PM | Permalink

I too have junk in the trunk and I just look at delicious bites like this as bum enhancers. Nice work! Beautiful photos.

15. Anonymous
    Posted September 1, 2009 at 1:50 PM | Permalink

I've made these for the bake sale on Thursday! Thanks for the idea!

16. biz319
    Posted September 2, 2009 at 11:19 AM | Permalink

Oh my goodness – heaven on a plate . . . or stick!

Hannah would love these – thanks for the idea! 😀

17. Ingrid
    Posted September 2, 2009 at 11:12 PM | Permalink

Oh, shoot! That was funny. My kiddos are pretty proud of their Mama's mad skillz! LOL! 🙂

Your recipe rocks!
    ~ingrid

18. pigpigscorner
    Posted September 4, 2009 at 6:01 PM | Permalink

Great textures!

19. Michelle
    Posted September 7, 2009 at 10:38 AM | Permalink

Such a cute idea. I just made Cupcake Bites with my nieces and they would loves these as well!

20. Michele
    Posted September 7, 2009 at 11:09 AM | Permalink

Oh wow. Those look so great and I love your pictures. I would have to hide them from myself too!

21. Rachel@oneprettything.com
    Posted September 7, 2009 at 2:42 PM | Permalink

Whoa…that is GENIUS! I love it! I'll be linking.

22. EAT!
    Posted September 8, 2009 at 7:07 AM | Permalink

Made these with RKs, coconut (my fav), sprinkles, and s'mores – crushed graham crackers and cc chips! Thanks for making me the hit of the Labor Day BBQ!

23. Dolce
    Posted September 8, 2009 at 1:42 PM | Permalink

Yummy! Even better if you have time to bake your own marshmallows 🙂

24. Kristen
    Posted September 8, 2009 at 5:18 PM | Permalink

What a great idea! Love these!

25. tracey
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 2:08 PM | Permalink

My family has made these at Christmas for about 35 years. we always called them "scungy" marshmallows, because of the crunchy gooey texture, we also used bamboo skewers to dip them and covered the whole darn thing, this would be easier to leave one side open!!