Lazy Lamingtons

Lazy Lamingtons, Mini Pavlovas, Billy Tea, Damper Bread, and Chicken n’ Beef on the Barbie were all part of Australia Day at summer camp last week. Each week my friend Sheila of Alice and the Mock Turtle plans a Friday Feast for the campers at school and had asked if I would cook the meal for the little natives last Friday. I am not familiar with Aussie foods but a few- their desserts- Lamingtons and Pavlovas. Sheila had given me a menu but said I could be creative too. Oh boy a creative license- look out!

Lamingtons are little sponge cakes dipped in chocolate and rolled in desiccated coconut. They have been quite popular on the net lately. I took the lazy way out-children would not appreciate such work- and used my Cream Cheese Sheet Cake as the base, a nice chocolate glaze, and grated white chocolate in place of the coconut because of nut allergies at the school. The little cakes were beautiful. And delicious. Our little bush people agreed.

Lazy Lamingtons
Cream Cheese Sheet Cake- Adapted from Taste of Home Magazine
1 cup butter, softened
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 1/4 cups sugar
6 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/4 cups cake flour

In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, cheese, and sugar for 3 minutes on high speed. Add vanilla then one egg at a time mixing well after each egg. Add flour and mix well. Pour batter into a greased 15x10x1 inch pan. Bake at 325° for 25 minutes or until cake springs back when touched. Cool and glaze with the following glaze.

Chocolate Glaze
12 T. butter
6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips

grated white chocolate or dessicated coconut (unsweetened)

In a microwave proof bowl, melt butter in the microwave on high for 30-45 seconds. Add chocolate chips and stir until smooth and melted through. Pour over cake and spread evenly. Let set. Sprinkle generously with chocolate or coconut.

I have been finding it easier to cut all my bars and brownies with a pizza cutter. Maybe you already know this and I am WAY behind but I thought I would share the tip anyway.

Later this week I will share about those Mini Pavlovas and the rest of the meal.

1. Rindy R
    Posted August 4, 2009 at 9:58 AM | Permalink

I would have sworn that was coconut on top! You are too creative my friend! Can't wait to see the rest of the meal!

2. Melissa
    Posted August 4, 2009 at 10:00 AM | Permalink

Mmmm…I bet they loved those. You always do such a great job with things like this! =)

3. Sabrina
    Posted August 4, 2009 at 10:03 AM | Permalink

Yummm. I think I would like the white chocolate better than the coconut. But coconut would be wonderful too.

4. Fallon
    Posted August 4, 2009 at 10:37 AM | Permalink

The white chocolate substitution sounds amazing! I know people around me aren't big coconut fans. This looks easy and something you can serve to a large crowd! Something that sounds and looks fancy, that is totally easy to make! Love it.

5. noble pig
    Posted August 4, 2009 at 10:44 AM | Permalink

Very nice, I've never heard of them…always learning something new over here.

6. That Girl
    Posted August 4, 2009 at 12:44 PM | Permalink

I've never heard of any of those treats! I mean, I've heard of pavlovas, so I can figure out what "mini-pavlovas" are, but still…

7. oneordinaryday
    Posted August 4, 2009 at 1:15 PM | Permalink

Great idea to substitute the white chocolate, and I'd really prefer your version to the original. Looks awesome!
    ~Michelle

8. Grace
    Posted August 4, 2009 at 1:34 PM | Permalink

mmm…how about chocolate AND coconut? that would be perfection, my friend. 🙂

9. Karen
    Posted August 4, 2009 at 3:48 PM | Permalink

These look like yummy little treats. I wish I had half your energy, Robin Sue!

10. pigpigscorner
    Posted August 4, 2009 at 6:57 PM | Permalink

I've never heard of this! Thanks for introducing something new!

11. HoneyB
    Posted August 5, 2009 at 6:22 AM | Permalink

Looks yummy! I'm still thinking about your phyllo brie treats too. When I return from my cruise I will be making them!

12. Glenda
    Posted August 5, 2009 at 9:11 AM | Permalink

mmm, lazy lamingtons. i'd love to do this together with my little kiddo.

13. Ingrid
    Posted August 5, 2009 at 9:28 AM | Permalink

I'm gonna have to give your cake a try. I've seen you make it into too many different delish desserts not to.

I can't wait for the pavlovas! I have 8 egg whites in the freezer from last weeks ice cream adventures.
    ~ingrid

14. Penny
    Posted August 5, 2009 at 10:05 AM | Permalink

The cake looks beautiful and the pizza cutter is a great idea. Another great recipe from you!

15. Lisa
    Posted August 5, 2009 at 2:12 PM | Permalink

So that's your secret to perfect edges! Thanks for the tip. And that cake looks fabulous.

16. biz319
    Posted August 5, 2009 at 3:52 PM | Permalink

Those look absolutely delicious! Those kids are lucky!

17. Lucy
    Posted August 5, 2009 at 7:50 PM | Permalink

Lazy lamingtons, I have a few recipes for lamington's that I haven't tried yet, but I like the sound of this version much better. 😉

18. Karine
    Posted August 5, 2009 at 9:21 PM | Permalink

This is the first time I hear about lamingtons… but they look succulent!

Thanks for sharing your recipe!

19. Elra
    Posted August 5, 2009 at 9:47 PM | Permalink

I heard about Lamington, but never really tasted or made it myself. Sounds really delicious.

Oh, I can not wait for your pavlova post. It's my favorite as well.

20. Jenn@slim-shoppin
    Posted August 5, 2009 at 10:39 PM | Permalink

What a nice thing for you to do to help your friend. I'm sure the kids loved it and I loved the way you put them in those little cups!

21. Anne
    Posted August 6, 2009 at 8:48 PM | Permalink

As the mom of a food-allergic baby, I can reassure you: coconut allergy is extremely rare, and is not associated with tree nut allergy (technically, it's not a tree nut).

Those lamingtons look delicious! I always had a hard time figuring out what kind of special snack to fix my class when we studied Australia.

Posted August 7, 2009 at 7:45 AM | Permalink

Hi Anne- Yeah I have read some of the research but Deven did go into anaphylactic shock (at school!) after eating a trail mix with coconut and nuts. So we stay away from all of it. The doctor does not want him to have it either that some research is tied to it having some effect. So we stay on the conservative side. It is a bummer when cooking some of these great foods!!

23. Lori
    Posted August 9, 2009 at 9:02 AM | Permalink

Great tip with the pizza cutter!

24. finishtherace
    Posted August 13, 2009 at 12:42 PM | Permalink

oh wow! those look awesome! i wish parents come to the lunch too!!