Ma’s Famous Parsley Potatoes

My family and I just spent a week at my parents home at Smith Mountain Lake, VA. Ma cooked scrumptious dishes for us and has even shared her famous potato dish with all of you. Ma wrote this post but the editor’s notes, me, are in italics. Here’s Ma…

I am not a good cook here we go again, she lies, but I like to cook. It took me many years to learn how. I remember for about the first 20 years of my marriage, my meals were not the greatest-Dad’s nodding. A lot of meals went into the “Pig” our garbage disposal. I had difficulty figuring out how much to cook so many of our meals were skimpy. Now that we are “empty nesters” I cook way too much and have so many leftovers that we get sick of them. Do I hear an Amen? The scariest was when she dumped all the week’s leftovers into a pot and made soup.

I was not allowed in the kitchen growing up. I did not do that to my children -she made us wash the dishes. They are better cooks than I could ever be -now she is telling the truth *wink* and are not afraid to change a recipe or create a new one. I am learning from them. The following recipe is one I created. Although it looks awful -it is not easy photographing smashed potatoes, it is tasty. I am also a lazy cook -another lie, she can run circles around me. If I can take a short cut I do. So with that in mind, here is my version of Boursin Potatoes. Also, the one I am famous for follows:

Boursin Potatoes
1.5 pounds of Red, Yukon, or new potatoes
Salt for potatoes
1/2-1 pkg of Boursin cheese (herb flavored)
1-2 T dried minced onions
1 cube frozen or 1 T fresh garlic, minced
1/2-1 stick butter
1/4 c. fresh parsley or 2 T dried parsley
1 T olive oil

Cut potatoes in chunks, no need to peel. Boil in salted water til done. Drain leaving about 4-5 T of the water. Add the above ingredients. Mix and continue to cook until well blended. It will look like chunky mashed potatoes.

Ma’s Famous Parsley Potatoes
Same as above, minus the cheese, except add about 2 large cloves of garlic. You should be able to smell the garlic in the potatoes and then you will have enough. Also, I add more dried onion flakes. Fresh is even better. I prefer the Yukon potato over any of the other potatoes. It has a sweeter taste than the others. As we said before, this may not be a pretty dish, but it is delicious.

Ma

While at Mom and Dad’s, here is where we spend most of our time, other than the kitchen of course. That’s the little Mirror Dinghy which has given us almost 40 years of enjoyment. Ma’s favorite saying while on the dock is, “Is the sun over the yard arm yet?” If it is- it always is somewhere, she then goes up to the house and makes her delicious Sangria. Maybe she can blog on that some time?

1. EAT!
    Posted August 19, 2009 at 7:20 AM | Permalink

Oh how I love to vacation! It sounds like you had a great time.

My girls love Boursin cheese and smashed potatoes so I am sure this will be a hit with them.

I am waiting for the sangaria recipe – please.

2. Melissa
    Posted August 19, 2009 at 9:34 AM | Permalink

I love all your little side comments. =)The potatoes sounds soo good right now…and with all that cheese!

3. Elra
    Posted August 19, 2009 at 10:57 AM | Permalink

Your mum's Boursin Potatoes sounds really delicious, I can see why. Love the photo of the lake, and the cute boat. Beautiful and peaceful!

4. Grace
    Posted August 19, 2009 at 12:24 PM | Permalink

ha–excellent commentary, robin sue. i would greatly enjoy both versions of these taters. also, smith mountain lake is awesome, and i'm glad you got to spend some time with your family!

5. Penny
    Posted August 19, 2009 at 12:52 PM | Permalink

Love your Ma! Those potatoes look great. We've been to Smith Mountain Lake many times. Friends have a cottage there.

6. Joan Nova
    Posted August 19, 2009 at 1:44 PM | Permalink

I know I've/we've met "ma" before but this is such a lovely warm peek into your family.

7. Sheila
    Posted August 19, 2009 at 2:03 PM | Permalink

How great to see you and your Ma interact on 'paper'. I am stock piling these easier recipes for the first weeks of school so we don't eat out every night!
    Welcome back:)

8. Sabrina
    Posted August 19, 2009 at 3:55 PM | Permalink

I love smashed potatoes. Although I am usually intending just to make potato squares they always end up as smashed potatoes. Thanks ma for sharing what I can add in to make them delish.

9. biz319
    Posted August 19, 2009 at 5:36 PM | Permalink

I loved this post! And had to laugh because one time I thought I could put all the leftovers for a delicious soup, but even the dog wouldn't eat it!

10. Cel Petro
    Posted August 20, 2009 at 8:31 PM | Permalink

What a great post in so many ways, recalling favorite family food, true confessions, great photos. I'm making your mom's parslyed potatos my own

11. Ingrid
    Posted August 20, 2009 at 11:24 PM | Permalink

Hi, Ma! I'm not a mash potato person but will make a dent in them if they are "suped up" like yours! Btw, I thought the photo was a pretty good one.

Bye, Ma and thanks for sharing! 🙂
    ~ingrid

12. pigpigscorner
    Posted August 21, 2009 at 7:50 AM | Permalink

A great post and yummy recipes!How nice to be able to get your mum to write a guest post for you!

13. Alyse
    Posted August 21, 2009 at 10:29 AM | Permalink

These look wonderful!

14. noble pig
    Posted August 21, 2009 at 1:34 PM | Permalink

This made me laugh hysterically with your editing. Hilarious and yummy sounding!

15. Tammy
    Posted August 21, 2009 at 2:38 PM | Permalink

This is a lovely post. I especially enjoyed the editorial comments!! Those potatoes look like celebrities with all that yummy butter and cheese. Another one bookmarked. Thanks for sharing!

16. Amanda
    Posted August 22, 2009 at 10:39 PM | Permalink

These look really great, full of flavors I love!

17. unconfidentialcook
    Posted August 23, 2009 at 1:19 PM | Permalink

My sister lived for boursin when we were growing up, and I haven't had it since. Why didn't we think of putting it in potatoes? Sounds great. So does your vacation!!!
    BTW, what are sugar gliders…or should I not ask?

18. Velva
    Posted August 24, 2009 at 8:48 AM | Permalink

Amen to mom's everywhere!
    I really enjoyed your post.

19. Maria
    Posted August 24, 2009 at 6:25 PM | Permalink

Family recipes are the best! This one looks really good!

20. Jenn@slim-shoppin
    Posted August 24, 2009 at 7:31 PM | Permalink

That's so nice! I've been to Smith Mountain Lake, how funny is that? My aunt has a summer home their.

Glad you had a great vacation!

21. Finsmom
    Posted August 24, 2009 at 9:23 PM | Permalink

Yum! What a great recipe!

22. gfe--gluten free easily
    Posted August 30, 2009 at 12:19 AM | Permalink

Oh, what a terrific post! Love the intro to the recipes and the photos. Boursin OR parsley potatoes heavy on the garlic–heavenly! Thanks to you and your mom for sharing. 🙂

Shirley

23. Lori
    Posted August 30, 2009 at 9:05 PM | Permalink

Oh those potatoes do sound yummy.

I was allowed int eh kitchen to do dishes too. wink wink.

Your Mom sounds lovely.

24. petite nyonya
    Posted October 4, 2010 at 10:22 PM | Permalink

nice potatoes and such a lovely lake!