Summer Supper: Chunky Gazpacho and German Sandwiches

It’s funny how easily I forget things that I once loved so much. These open-faced sandwiches were a favorite of mine while living in Germany. Wonderfully smoked meats or salamis atop the freshest of seeded breads or crusty rolls with a slice of Brie, hard-cooked egg, and a pickle or cucumber slice were so simple, yet sophisticated. But the best part- the thickest, freshest, most decadent layer of butter spread over that bread. One of my favorite sandwiches came from the train stop on Post. It was a Black Forest Ham with a thick spread of butter on a crusty roll, then all wrapped in paper for my train ride into the city center. For a picnic in the park the other day, my new neighbor from Germany jogged my memory by bringing those German Sandwiches I had once loved so much and I wondered to myself, “how did I let myself forget these?” I daintily devoured three of her sandwiches and had to make a plate of my own for our dinner last night.

This Chunky Gazpacho is my favorite gazpacho recipe that I served in little espresso cups along side my German Sandwiches. The thing I love so much about Gazpacho; every bite is a surprise. Will I get a bit of oregano or basil with this bite or a tomato and cucumber, or how about some corn? Love it. This recipe is zippy and refreshing.

Chunky Gazpacho– from my friend Jennifer
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
juice of one lemon
4 cups V8 or favorite tomato juice, I used Trader Joe’s Garden Patch
1-2 tsp. hot pepper sauce, I used Sriracha with extra garlic
1 ear cooked corn on the cob, kernels removed- my addition
Kosher salt to taste
Fresh cracked black pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients into a large bowl and refrigerate for at least four hours or overnight. Serve cold. Makes about 12 cups.
Note- My tomatoes were not the huge Beef Steak variety. My guess is that they were probably Early Girl’s, about 2-3 inches across. I used 12.

1. Penny
    Posted August 26, 2009 at 7:43 AM | Permalink

I wish I could "daintily" eat some of your sandwiches. They look so refreshing. Your gazpacho recipe is a keeper too.

2. Rindy R
    Posted August 26, 2009 at 8:25 AM | Permalink

This does look so yummy – you had me at the Brie!
    I love hearing about all your German adventures – and now you don't have to go so far to have them! Lucky you!

3. Joan Nova
    Posted August 26, 2009 at 9:39 AM | Permalink

Seeing those sandwiches, I am reminded of our stop in Germany on the virtual Culinary Tour earlier this year. I made a variety of them and had such fun doing it.

Also I never thought about doing gazpacho chunky – makes it sort of a soupy salad. I'll have to try it.

4. Jeff
    Posted August 26, 2009 at 9:44 AM | Permalink

love the combo and love the flavors. It is that time of year for garden fresh stuff. woo hooo!!!

5. unconfidentialcook
    Posted August 26, 2009 at 9:56 AM | Permalink

I am going to try your chunky version. I like the addition of horseradish…and also the corn.

6. Dawn
    Posted August 26, 2009 at 10:36 AM | Permalink

oh how I do love a good chunky gazpacho. this looks insanely good!

7. Cate O'Malley
    Posted August 26, 2009 at 11:14 AM | Permalink

What a great way to celebrate summer!

8. Grace
    Posted August 26, 2009 at 1:03 PM | Permalink

although the sandwiches aren't necessarily my cup of tea, i'd really, really enjoy that gazpacho. i enjoy a little texture and chunk in my soup. 🙂

9. That Girl
    Posted August 26, 2009 at 2:17 PM | Permalink

I haven't been eating gazpacho long, but so far I haven't met a version I haven't liked. Can't wait to try it!

10. oneordinaryday
    Posted August 26, 2009 at 2:34 PM | Permalink

I love when food brings back a memory like that. : )
    ~Michelle

11. biz319
    Posted August 26, 2009 at 2:52 PM | Permalink

Heaven on a plate! Not into chunky soups (thanks to my trust stick blender!) but those sammies are calling my name!

12. pigpigscorner
    Posted August 26, 2009 at 4:00 PM | Permalink

This looks amazing! Wonderful presentation, lovely flavours and textures!

13. Amanda
    Posted August 26, 2009 at 8:36 PM | Permalink

What a beautiful lunch. My niece lives in Germany and I loved it when she visited (she's 20) as she cooked all sorts of wonderful goodies. Never heard of these sandwiches, they look great!

14. Sabrina
    Posted August 26, 2009 at 9:45 PM | Permalink

That looks like summer on a plate and in a cup.

15. alanna rose
    Posted August 27, 2009 at 2:28 PM | Permalink

The sandwiches look so good. When I lived in Germany my favorite sandwich was a white baguette spread with cream cheese and topped with Brie, cucumber and tomato slices. They remind me of picnics by the fountain in Stuttgart!

16. Jenn@slim-shoppin
    Posted August 28, 2009 at 2:09 PM | Permalink

I could totally eat a sammy like that! With a sweet pickle, not sour..

I'm with Biz, no chunky soups for me, I would use a stick blender too!

Maybe that's why we are twins :0)

17. Sophie
    Posted August 29, 2009 at 6:34 AM | Permalink

What a delicious paring up meal! It must taste apart & very tasty!!

18. gfe--gluten free easily
    Posted August 30, 2009 at 12:15 AM | Permalink

What a nice combo! The soup is naturally gluten free and the sandwich could easily be made gluten free. Thanks very much!

Shirley

19. noble pig
    Posted August 30, 2009 at 8:31 PM | Permalink

That food reminds me of Europe too, very nice.

20. Lori
    Posted August 30, 2009 at 9:02 PM | Permalink

I just loved the seeded bread when I was in Poland. Have never found anything partucularly close to it here int eh States. I thinkt he closes would be that German rectangular bread in the supermarkets… but it is a little on the stale side comparitively speaking.

And gazpacho- hmmm. looks ownderful. I need to make a gazpacho soon, before summer goes marching away. It's about 50 degrees here presently.