Lemonade Pie

I do not handle change well and I am heading for a big change, our last weekend of Summer Vacation. It’s not that I am not looking forward to having the children start school or be back in the classroom myself, it’s that I am sad one more summer is over and gone and now a memory, a very sweet memory. The summer Dryden lost three teeth, the summer Deven went to over-night camp for the very first time, and the summer Daelyn talked us all to death.

I do not measure my children’s years by what grade they are in but measure them by our summers. The even summers we go to Seattle to see Himself’s side of the family and the odd summers we go to visit mine in Boston. So in many conversations we say, “Oh that was the summer we went to Boston and the kids were…” whatever age they were. So in holding on to summer and its memory by my fingertips, I give you one last hurrah- Lemonade Pie, not to be sipped on the front porch listening to the night creatures’ song and watching the children play but savored with whipped cream following one last summertime meal.

Lemonade Pie
5 ounce can evaporated milk
1 small box instant lemon pudding mix
2- 8 ounce bricks cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar + 1/3 cup lemon juice mixed or 2/3 cup lemonade concentrate
one graham cracker pie crust

In a large mixing bowl beat cream chesse until soft and fluffy. Add pudding and milk and mix well on medium speed. Slowly pour in lemonade concentrate and blend until smooth and creamy. Pour into pie shell and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Serve with whipped cream. Serves 6-8. This pie is very rich and creamy. Delicious.

What were some of your favorite memories from this summer?

1. oneordinaryday
    Posted September 3, 2009 at 9:01 AM | Permalink

Summers are a great way to measure time's passing. We do the same thing. Love this pie ~ just the idea of it is wonderful, but it looks delicious too.

2. That Girl
    Posted September 3, 2009 at 10:21 AM | Permalink

I'm sad the days of lemonade and sweet tea are almost over, but I am looking forward to cider and chocolate!

3. noble pig
    Posted September 3, 2009 at 11:00 AM | Permalink

Oh my stars this is lovely. And yes summer is slipping away but pumpkin pie is on the way!!

4. Patsyk
    Posted September 3, 2009 at 12:52 PM | Permalink

What a taste of summer that pie must be! I'm not ready for summer to be over yet either… but, those cooler temps will mean I can get my freezer restocked with soups, sauces and cookies!

5. alanna rose
    Posted September 3, 2009 at 3:44 PM | Permalink

I need this pie to get in my belly right now! Sounds amazing!

6. Dawn
    Posted September 3, 2009 at 6:14 PM | Permalink

this does sound good.
    you know what I want to make and haven't a clue how to start? frozen pink lemonade pie. have you heard of it?

Posted September 3, 2009 at 6:39 PM | Permalink

Dawn- try pink lemonade concentrate and I bet this pie freezes well. Try it!

8. Grace
    Posted September 3, 2009 at 7:43 PM | Permalink

mmm…pink lemonade would be great, but regular lemonade looks phenomenal as well. i'm not ready to part with summer yet!

9. Linda
    Posted September 3, 2009 at 9:56 PM | Permalink

I'm pulling up a chair and bringing a fork! WOW!

10. Annie
    Posted September 3, 2009 at 11:11 PM | Permalink

Our Colorado summer has been amazing. I have loved playing with my kids and moving at a slower pace. How great God is to give us seasons. We say goodbye to summer and all of it's wonderful bounty and hello to pumpkins, cooler days, crunchy leaves and all things fall. Always something to look forward to! I love reading your blog, by the way!

11. Kathy - Panini Happy
    Posted September 4, 2009 at 12:25 AM | Permalink

This sounds so refreshing! I tried to make a different lemonade pie recipe (a freezer version) last summer and it was way too sweet for me. I think I'm ready to give another one a try!

12. Lisa
    Posted September 4, 2009 at 12:28 AM | Permalink

Great end of summer pie! Tomorrow is our last full day of vacation at the jersey shore. We have done so many fun things such as fishing, crabbing , going to the zoo…don't want it to end!

Posted September 4, 2009 at 9:11 AM | Permalink

Annie- Yes, thank goodness there is always something wonderful to look forward to. Thanks for your kind words!

14. biz319
    Posted September 4, 2009 at 11:14 AM | Permalink

I love how you measure your kids age by the summers!

And that pie – definitely insulin worthy!

15. Jenn@slim-shoppin
    Posted September 4, 2009 at 2:21 PM | Permalink

I've never heard of such a fantastic pie!

I too, was sad another summer has gone by and I didn't do everything I wanted to…

My favorite summer memories are of growing up and spending time at my grandparents in the country! Running around barefoot, you could even go into stores barefoot! Eating watermelon, going fishing, eating crabs, playing croquet and badmitton! Good times!!

16. Trish
    Posted September 4, 2009 at 3:00 PM | Permalink

oh my….how sweet this post is. I am sending my son off to university tomorrow….my one and only child and I too measured everything by summers….this was our last summer 'for sure' as a family….who knows what the future brings…we are moving this winter whilst he is in school…to something smaller and more affordable…just the two of us left. awww….time does go by but it is all as it should be.

What a lovely yummy recipe you have here.

17. Maria
    Posted September 6, 2009 at 10:22 PM | Permalink

We've had a great summer-went to FL, CO, IL, and had a lot of friends and family visit us. The farmer's market is always a highlight for me too. Watermelon has to be my favorite thing. I will miss it.

Great pie!

18. Michelle
    Posted September 7, 2009 at 1:55 AM | Permalink

OH MY…does this looks good and such a gorgeous, yummy color too.

Have not been on your blog in so long, I'm embarrassed about it. But it's just as good as I remember. Nice to be back!

19. Velva
    Posted September 7, 2009 at 11:11 AM | Permalink

What a perfect ending to another great summer! This lemonade pie just sums it all up- Thanks for sharing.

20. Jude
    Posted September 7, 2009 at 6:22 PM | Permalink

Just found this wonderful blog today .. I've recently relocated from NY to VA and just started adding recipes to my blog – mostly family updates for family far away! I look forward to hearing more heartfelt stories and mouth-watering recipes. Thank you for sharing it with all of us!

21. Kristen
    Posted September 8, 2009 at 5:17 PM | Permalink

Summer flew by for us this year. It is bittersweet, as always. I always look forward to what will happen during the school year but always miss the lazy (and full) days of summer.
    I love lemonade pie! What a great farewell dessert to a wonderful summer.

22. Lisa
    Posted September 14, 2009 at 1:52 AM | Permalink

What a pretty pie! Summer is gone too quickly. We did build the base for our teahouse this summer, spent a little time with relatives and did a lot of summer cooking. I can't complain but I wouldn't mind if it stuck around a little longer.

23. gfe--gluten free easily
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 6:17 PM | Permalink

My favorite memories from this summer are our motorcycle trip to New England (11 days, 10 states, 2100 miles–awesome trip) and the July 4th camping weekend when Son and all his friends joined us (we had to provide "valet camping" LOL–hey, they are college kids–but it was a wonderful weekend!). This pie looks wonderful!

Shirley