Old-Fashioned Vanilla Pudding

Nothing like a good homemade, bowl of old-fashioned vanilla pudding. It screams cozy-night-in or after school snack. Kestrel Growth Brands contacted me to try some of their products and of course I did not hesitate to try one of my favorite flavors- vanilla, their Organic Vanilla Extract to be exact. Yes, I am a vanilla ice cream kind of gal. In this new economy I find it urgent to support small businesses. Their owners are people with passion, enthusiasm, and a desire to produce the best quality products. The deeper I delve into the foodie world, the more wonderful individuals I meet living their dreams through their small businesses. They are entrepreneurs with huge ideas, creativity, and a can-do spirit. I am always inspired by them. For me, dealing with small business owners makes doing business more personal as they find pleasure in being more accessible to the consumer, me.

I did like this vanilla and its smooth flavor and delicious aroma. It definitely is a better quality than the brand I have in my cupboard. I felt it shined in my Old-Fashioned Vanilla Pudding which is thick, creamy, and mmm, mmm, gurg. So if someone hands you vanilla, make pudding. Will ya?

Old-Fashioned Vanilla Pudding
2/3 cup sugar
6 T. cornstarch
1/2 t. salt
5 cups organic whole milk
2 T. unsalted butter
1 T. vanilla- Singing Dog Vanilla!

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt then slowly whisk in milk. Continue stirring until the pudding thickens, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla. Pour into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap being sure the wrap touches the top surface of the pudding and seals it off from the air to prevent a “skin.” Let cool a bit and eat warm or refrigerate until cold. Pudding will thicken as it cools. Serves about 8.

1. Rachael
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 6:58 AM | Permalink

Looks yummy! Where can we buy that vanilla???

2. Dolce
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 10:18 AM | Permalink

I printed out the recipe… That's a good quick fixed dessert 🙂

3. biz319
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 10:24 AM | Permalink

I have never made pudding from scratch – shame on me! My daughter would love this – she loves all things vanilla.

The first time she had real vanilla bean icecream, she thought she had died and gone to heaven!

Thanks for sharing! 😀

4. Karen
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 10:25 AM | Permalink

I'd love to have a bowl of this! I remember when we were kids, my Mom made homemade chocolate pudding. We three girls didn't like it… we were so used to the "real" stuff… Jell-O Pudding! Ha!

5. Sophie
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 10:46 AM | Permalink

This dessert looks creamy & so tasty too!

MMMMMMMMMM,..I make my own vanilla extract!

6. Anonymous
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 1:02 PM | Permalink

Robin, Where do we buy the vanilla?
    Mom

Posted September 29, 2009 at 1:07 PM | Permalink

Hi All the vanilla can be purcahsed from the link provided in the above post. It gets here lickity split too!

8. Grace
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 1:38 PM | Permalink

that's some lusciously creamy pudding, robin sue! and it must be said–i love the name. that alone makes me want to buy it. 🙂

9. redforever
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 1:54 PM | Permalink

I always use my grandmother's recipe for making homemade vanilla pudding.

For every cup of milk, you need 1 egg and a scant Tbsp of cornstarch. Sugar is to your taste, your proportion of 3/4 cup to about 5 cups of milk sounds about what I would use.

Just beat the egg and sugar, add the milk and cornstarch and stir to dissolve cornstarch. Heat at medium heat until thickened. Stir in vanilla.

Either put in a bowl and cover with saran wrap (to prevent a skin from forming) or pour into individual pudding cups and cover with saran wrap.

Pudding will further thicken as it cools.

10. oneordinaryday
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 3:19 PM | Permalink

Yum! I've heard that's a really good vanilla. Great way to showcase it!

11. Rita
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 5:11 PM | Permalink

that looks delicious! I've never made pudding before. I love pudding, but for some reason it never occurred to me until just now that you could actually make it from scratch.

12. Shannon
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 6:33 PM | Permalink

Sounds yummy! Thanks for the recipe, Robin!

13. That Girl
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 10:07 PM | Permalink

I've never had homemade vanilla pudding, it looks SO much better than storebought.

14. Elra
    Posted September 30, 2009 at 3:24 PM | Permalink

Oh, this is such a comfort food Robbin Sue. I love this kind of pudding.

15. alanna rose
    Posted September 30, 2009 at 4:23 PM | Permalink

This sounds so good! I don;t have any Singing Dog Vanilla on hand – so my normal brand will have to do 😉
    Is it possible I saw Singing Dog on the food Network?

16. Mini Baker
    Posted September 30, 2009 at 7:59 PM | Permalink

oh my god! yum yum yumm!!! this looks insanely delicious! I love any kind of pudding… and the organic whole milk will def. make me feel better about eating it! I'm so excited i found your blog! Its one of y new favorites! I'll be back often 🙂
    Mini Baker

17. unconfidentialcook
    Posted September 30, 2009 at 8:29 PM | Permalink

I'm a chocolate girl…but if I were going to eat a big bowl of vanilla this would be IT!

18. Kay
    Posted October 1, 2009 at 4:17 AM | Permalink

Delicious! This made me laugh out loud because earlier this week I actually thought about doing a pudding posting. You can tell it's fall 🙂

19. Ingrid
    Posted October 3, 2009 at 10:46 AM | Permalink

Yum, I received some vanilla beans from them that I need to use! Pudding would be a great way!
    ~ingrid

20. gfe--gluten free easily
    Posted October 10, 2009 at 11:37 PM | Permalink

Pudding was a staple in our house for dessert. It was Jello, but I've made "real" pudding like this recipe before. It's not hard to do at all. This looks heavenly. I love warm pudding. We always poured some milk on top of ours. I don't know if anyone else does that.

Shirley