Sausage Bread

IMG_1695.JPG

When I was a little girl there was only one kind of sausage-Italian. No I stand corrected, there were two- Sweet Italian and Hot Italian. When we were told that we were having sausage for dinner no one ever asked what kind. As we got older, Ma ventured into other cuisines introducing us to kielbasa, bratwurst, and knockwurst. When Himself and I moved to Germany I was exposed to all different kinds of wursts such as blood, curry, weisswurst, and bratwurst. My favorite being the Weißwurst which is a very traditional Bavarian white sausage of pork with subtle hints of nutmeg and parsley.

Here I am at the German Embassy in DC last week enjoying meine Wurst und deutsches Bier. Pinkies out.

You are entitled to use any sausage or wurst of choice in this recipe as it is a basic recipe that can be made using any combination of flavors. Instead of Italian sausage why not a chicken sausage, ham, and Swiss cheese in place of the mozzarella for a Cordon Bleu Bread? Or how about brats, drained sauerkraut and Emmanteller for a German twist? A Breakfast Bread can be made with breakfast sausage, scrambled or hard-cooked eggs and cheddar cheese. You get the picture. Ja?

Sausage Bread
one pound loaf Italian Bread, unsliced
1 pound Italian sausage or sausage of choice
1/2 vidalia onion, chopped fine
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
herbs of choice- I used fresh oregano and basil-1 T. each, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4-1/2 tsp Kosher salt, depending on meat choice
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 cups shredded mozzarella or cheese of choice

In a skillet brown onions and sausage. Set aside. Slice bread opened length-wise. Pull out then inner soft portions of each half leaving a thick shell. Whisk eggs together with milk, Parmesan, herbs, garlic, salt and pepper and toss in torn bread pieces stirring to coat bread well. Pour in meat mixture and mix well. In bottom half of bread sprinkle 1 cup of mozzarella cheese then top with meat mixture. Cover meat with the remaining cheese and top with top portion of bread pressing down to seal. Wrap tightly in foil and bake in a 400 degree oven for 25-30 minutes. Remove foil and let set for 5 minutes before slicing. Serves about 6.

Compliments a salad or soup very well. Nice in a lunch box too.

1. EAT!
    Posted September 8, 2009 at 7:06 AM | Permalink

Delicious! I have made a Reuben Bread – corned beef, swiss cheese, saurkraut, 1000 island dressing. Perfect for all those tailgates that are coming up!

2. That Girl
    Posted September 8, 2009 at 9:56 AM | Permalink

I agree – weisswurst was my fave when I was living in wurst-land (Austria)

3. Lisa
    Posted September 8, 2009 at 11:03 AM | Permalink

Love this and easy since there is no dough involved.

4. Grace
    Posted September 8, 2009 at 1:39 PM | Permalink

pinkies out is the ONLY way to scarf down some ever-loving sausage! i love this bundle of bread, pig, and cheese–it'd be hard to top.

5. oneordinaryday
    Posted September 8, 2009 at 2:09 PM | Permalink

I am lovin' the sound of this. The pictures are making me hungry, honestly.

6. Sabrina
    Posted September 8, 2009 at 4:27 PM | Permalink

That looks so yummy. Thanks for all the wonderful ideas of options.

Love your hair.

7. Kristen
    Posted September 8, 2009 at 5:15 PM | Permalink

Love that pic of you! My family would be all over this sausage bread. Yum!

8. Sheila
    Posted September 8, 2009 at 9:32 PM | Permalink

My family would gobble this up in no time! What a great replacement for sandwiches. Have to add this to October's lunch menu.

9. Patsyk
    Posted September 8, 2009 at 9:38 PM | Permalink

I bet my husband would love to take this to his next poker game! Not sure he'd make it out of the house with it though… my boys might eat it all soon as it was ready!

10. thebrunettebaker
    Posted September 8, 2009 at 11:55 PM | Permalink

I'm making Sausage Bread too this week but entirely different than yours. Mine uses a loaf of Bridgeford dough, breakfast sausage, jalapenos, green onions and montery jack…all rolled up like pepperoni bread. I have spicy mustard for dipping. It's the first time I'm making it and I got excited when I saw your post title because I thought it would be my recipe. We did Germany too…4 years and 2 kids. We like all wurst & really miss the beer truck! 🙂

11. Joan Nova
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 8:37 AM | Permalink

Now this is my kind of sausage bread…when you don't have to make the bread! Even makes me want to venture outside of the Italian sausage arena.

12. pigpigscorner
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 9:36 AM | Permalink

YUM! I love sausages, they are so versatile and so tasty!

13. Jenn@slim-shoppin
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 5:56 PM | Permalink

I've never seen anything so yummy!

And I have almost all the ingredients!! I bet my family would love it!

14. Sammie
    Posted September 10, 2009 at 12:25 PM | Permalink

I think my husband would faint if I put this in front of him. I might just have to surprise him with it. Thanks for sharing.

15. Kevin
    Posted September 13, 2009 at 7:16 AM | Permalink

This savoury sausage stuffed bread would be so tasty!

16. Chris De La Rosa
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 2:31 PM | Permalink

Couple years back I visited Germany for a couple weeks.. until then I didn't know there were so many types of sausages. Funny thing is they don;t serve it on bread (like a hot dog) as we do as street food in north America.

Love the idea of stuffing that bred with all that goodness.

Happy Cooking

17. gfe--gluten free easily
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 6:00 PM | Permalink

Hmmm, if I get some good gf bread, I might try this. Love the picture of you at the embassy–it's great!

Shirley