Twackers: Wherein I use leftover Caramel Sauce

After making the Crispy Caramel Marshmallows last week I had about 1 1/2 cups of the caramel sauce leftover. Well more like 1 1/4 cups since I ate 1/4 cup right from the bowl- yes I used a new spoon with each bite. After seeing Grace’s Twickers Bars I knew what would become of my caramel sauce. In order not to waste food I try various techniques at disguising leftovers to eat again and possibly again. This was a simple ordeal of layering the caramel between crackers and topping it all off with chocolate.

I left out peanut butter so that my allergy boy could have some too so these treats remained very bare minimum, simple, and very pleasurable. If you ever make my Crispy Caramel Marshmallows, you’ll know what to do with the leftover caramel sauce because I’m sure without ice cream this apples suggestion brownie sundaes you apple pie would French Toast have milkshakes had cheesecake no idea.

Twackers– adapted from Southern Grace
1 1/4- 1 1/2 cups caramel sauce or another favorite thick caramel sauce
45 Premium Brand Saltines
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 T butter
crushed sea salt

In a lightly greased 11×7 inch baking dish, place a single layer of 15 crackers. Gently heat caramel sauce in the microwave until warmed through and spreadable. I used half-power in 25 second intervals. Spread 1/2 of the caramel sauce over the crackers. Top with another layer of crackers and the second half of caramel sauce. Top with remaining crackers. In a microwave safe cup, melt butter in the microwave. Stir in chocolate chips until smooth. Spread over top layer of crackers. Sprinkle with sea salt. Chill in refrigerator for 15 minutes or until set and cut into desired sized pieces.

What to do with leftover frosting- Peanut Butter Cream Saltines

1. Rachael
    Posted September 15, 2009 at 7:36 AM | Permalink

Oh my…those look SOOOO….good, I wish I had one for breakfast!!!!

Thanks for the recipe…my boys will LOVE this!!

2. Grace
    Posted September 15, 2009 at 8:32 AM | Permalink

ha HA! excellent! i, too, frown upon wasting anything, especially something as luscious as caramel sauce. i'm glad yours found a nice, tasty home. 🙂

3. Dolce
    Posted September 15, 2009 at 10:14 AM | Permalink

This is so sinful I could be licking my computer screen right now… The only thing refraining me is that my coworkers would think I am a weird girl…

4. That Girl
    Posted September 15, 2009 at 10:15 AM | Permalink

I ALWAYS have leftover ingredients from my baking. I'm just now realizing I should have stirred my strawberry sauce from cupcakes into the strawberry ice cream I made two days ago!

5. Marysol
    Posted September 15, 2009 at 11:16 AM | Permalink

Robin, I wasn't a caramel fan until 13 seconds ago, when the pictures loaded.
    Twackers (love the name) look like something Thumper and I would love.

6. Fallon
    Posted September 15, 2009 at 11:52 AM | Permalink

MMM Sweet and savory. Those look great but I'm afraid if I make them I'll eat them all 😉

7. Dawn
    Posted September 15, 2009 at 12:13 PM | Permalink

yes I remember when Ms. Grace did these. Just like crack, period.

8. Baker's Cakes
    Posted September 15, 2009 at 12:57 PM | Permalink

Why is it that recipes w/ Saltine Crackers are always SO delicious?!?

9. noble pig
    Posted September 15, 2009 at 2:49 PM | Permalink

Oh geez, this is perfection in a dessert.

10. Barbara
    Posted September 15, 2009 at 4:05 PM | Permalink

Your photos make me wonder why I never have any caramel sauce left over!

11. An Unconventional Mummy
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 12:03 AM | Permalink

Sigh….
    You're dangerous to read after 8 p.m.
    I'm making this next weekend.

12. EAT!
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 7:40 AM | Permalink

What a genius you are! I made the Crispy Marshmellows and have some caramel left over. We have been eating it on apples, but now I can make this today!!

BTW – I'll probably eat them all before the kids get home from school.

13. to2sassy
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 9:15 AM | Permalink

So glad you posted this. I just made the marshmallows yesterday and I was trying to figure out what to do with the left over sauce. WITHOUT eating it with a spoon!

14. Jenn@slim-shoppin
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 12:53 PM | Permalink

That looks so good Robin!

I make a home made kit kat bar where you take graham crackers, put peanut butter in between and dip in chocolate flavored almond bark (candy coating chocolate that dries instantly).

It's so good, I make it every year at Christmas.

15. pigpigscorner
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 3:23 PM | Permalink

OH WOW..you certainly put it into good use!

16. Sabrina
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 5:19 PM | Permalink

Great idea(s). I wish I had some leftover sauce for the graham crackers I'm eating now.

17. darnold23
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 7:30 PM | Permalink

Okay, so I'm hooked. I will now have to go make the marshmallows and then this! I need to add another million miles to my weekly walks. I would love for you to come visit my blog at diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com and consider joining in Crock Pot Wednesday. Thanks for a great post.

18. HoneyB
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 10:08 PM | Permalink

umm, ummm, ummm, ummm, ummm! I would love some of these right now. Grumpy and I both have the munchies but nothing to just grab and eat! This would fit the bill!

19. Ingrid
    Posted September 17, 2009 at 11:05 PM | Permalink

Oh, yeah Honey can have Old Bay cheese balls, I'm having twackers.
    ~ingrid

20. Lisa
    Posted September 18, 2009 at 12:22 PM | Permalink

You have the best recipes for making something simply delicious from those leftovers I never know what to do with. These look just amazing!

21. Sam@BingeNYC
    Posted September 21, 2009 at 6:43 PM | Permalink

Holy heck – these look incredible. I might just whip some of these up, if only to be able to offer guests a "twacker" 🙂

22. Lori
    Posted September 23, 2009 at 9:03 PM | Permalink

Yes indeed they were very tempting on Grace's blog and yes indeed they are just as tempting here!