Baked Apples

Recently I have discovered the delicacy of Honeycrisp Apples. Super crispy and sweet these apples are the perfect eating apple and have satisfactory results once baked. I called a gal I know who runs her own farmers market and had her order me a half bushel of honeycrisps from her farmer. She warned me that they would be pricey but I figured the one time a year they come out here locally is truly a treat that we would enjoy each year. You folks in Washington state are blessed to have these apples at $0.99-$1.99 per pound. My apples came to $1.18 a piece. They have been treated like royalty in my home!

I have this little collection of Polish Pottery apple bakers I had purchased while in Poland. The one on the left is my favorite as it was a gift to me from Himself and the first in my collection. I can usually get about 4 gala apples in my apple baker but was only able to get in two honeycrisps they were so big!

There is no real recipe to baking apples. Simply fill your greased baker or casserole with fitted lid to the tippy top and then some with sliced apples that have been layered with a sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar as well as some orange rind if you like. Dot the top with butter, cover and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes or until the apples are tender. We like to eat ours with a drizzle of cream and honey but this last time we had them over French Toast. Delicious.

1. EAT!
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 7:10 AM | Permalink

My kids never get enough of baked apples. It is a great way to use up those ones that get lost in the refrigerator.

2. oneordinaryday
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 10:49 AM | Permalink

I've never seen an apple baker like those beauties on your shelf. how great to be pretty and useful. : )

3. That Girl
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 10:55 AM | Permalink

I feel like people are discovering honeycrisp all over the place lately, but we've had them here for almost ever.

4. grahamstravelblog
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 11:19 AM | Permalink

Those do look good. I won't hold your love of honey crisp apples against you. In MA, we have these at reasonable prices at farm stands and some orchards for reasonable prices. People go crazy for them, but they aren't my speed.

I did get some great Cortlands and I baked a pie with them. I'd never baked with that variety, but it was the best pie I had ever made. The apples stay nice and white so the presentation is a bit different, highly recommended.

5. Sophie
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 11:26 AM | Permalink

I love baked apples,but I fry them in baking margarine & add a slash of fresh coffee! Or sometimes I just add cinnamon too,..

Here in Belgium, we like to eat them on fresh bread slices in the moring,…

6. Grace
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 12:17 PM | Permalink

yeah, for $1.19/apple, i'd say they'd be a hot commodity in your house. dare i say it, though–they're worth it!

7. Fallon
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 12:30 PM | Permalink

I also made some baked apples and used honeycrisp! I can't believe how huge they can get but they tasted delicious warm and all the spices used!

8. the domestic mama
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 1:49 PM | Permalink

ooo… I bet there wil be a run on those apple bakers now!

9. Ingrid
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 1:50 PM | Permalink

Those apple bakers are pretty neat!
    ~ingrid

10. noble pig
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 4:33 PM | Permalink

Since I'm Polish you must hand over those bakers to me…please. Please. I never saw them when I was in Poland.

11. Rachael
    Posted October 22, 2009 at 9:07 AM | Permalink

I just bought Honeycrisps for the first time yesterday. We usually love Pink Ladies, but they were out. The Honeycrisps are usually 30 cents more a pound, and I wasn't sure if they were worth it!

Well…they are!! So yummy! I will have to try this recipe too!

12. biz319
    Posted October 22, 2009 at 2:34 PM | Permalink

Ha! Had to laugh at Cathy's comment about the bakers!

I love the smell of them coming out of the oven. I tried honeycrisps for the first time this year too – try $1.29 a piece at Trader Joe's! They are delicious though and worth every penny if you ask me!

13. Sophia
    Posted October 22, 2009 at 3:48 PM | Permalink

I love how open this dish is, so versatile and open to several variations. Orange rind is a terrific idea! I shall try that!

14. Karen
    Posted October 22, 2009 at 3:56 PM | Permalink

I love your collection of apple bakers! A baked apple is so homey smelling and tasting!

15. Sabrina
    Posted October 22, 2009 at 6:39 PM | Permalink

Oh, my that sounds so good. And you pottery is beautiful.

16. Kathleen
    Posted October 23, 2009 at 1:51 AM | Permalink

I am totally envious of your collection of apple bakers!

17. Anne
    Posted October 23, 2009 at 11:29 PM | Permalink

I like Honeycrisp, too. I will have to try this method of baking apples for my DH. He looooves baked apples (me, can't stand 'em) so I make them every once in a while for him, but usually I bake them whole. I like the sliced idea.

18. Amy J in SC
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 10:17 AM | Permalink

We have a lot in common! Honey crisp are my favorite as well as collecting polish pottery, although I've never found an apple baker. Those are cute.

19. Joan Nova
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 1:24 PM | Permalink

I, too, recently bought the honey crisp apples. They were almost $2 each. Good, but on the next outing I picked up Galas on sale for $0.99! I absolutely love your little pots for baking.

20. Lisa
    Posted October 28, 2009 at 12:02 AM | Permalink

Sounds great, especially with the french toast! I have never seen apple bakers before but will look for them now. They're so pretty and cheerful.

21. Lori
    Posted October 29, 2009 at 4:37 PM | Permalink

Yes, we get our apples pretty cheap. I am so sorry that yours are so expensive. Honeycrisp are triple the price around here as regular apples.

Love these apple bakers. I have a few of these pieces too. I love the colors. I have gone to Poland as well- Gdynia and Gdansk. I have amber and table coverings.

22. Essay
    Posted February 5, 2010 at 2:08 PM | Permalink

Very appetite apples) I always wondered where did you get your great ideas?)