Cannoli Bites

I was craving cannolis for a few days now and spotted these mini fillo cups in my pantry and had wondered if they would do in place of the traditional cannoli shell. They do. I love a good vanilla ricotta cannoli from Mike’s Pastry in the North End but sometimes I like my canollis jazzed up with a smidgen of orange, cinnamon, and chocolate. I whipped up some filling and filled these mini cups then proceeded to eat five all by myself. Does that make me bad? So when you need to impress a crowd, make these little bites then lead everyone to believe that you spent all day making them.

Cannoli Bites
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 t vanilla extract
4 T. powdered sugar
1 T. heavy cream
1/8 t. cinnamon
1 t. fresh orange zest
2 T. mini chocolate chips
30 mini fillo cups (2 boxes)

In a small food processor or blender, blend the first 5 ingredients until smooth. Remove to a bowl and fold in orange zest and chips. Using a baby spoon, spoon filling evenly into 30 fillo cups. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, cocoa, or both. Chopped pistachios may be nice too. Serve immediately. Makes 30 pieces.

Note- Only put the cream filling into the cups just before serving so the cups do not get soggy. Thank you.

Another Mini Fillo Recipe: Mini Baked Brie Cups

Have a grand weekend!

1. Rachael
    Posted October 2, 2009 at 7:01 AM | Permalink

Great idea! I am a cannoli fiend…when I go to New York I have to hit Little Italy for my fix. These look tasty and easy 🙂

2. EAT!
    Posted October 2, 2009 at 7:34 AM | Permalink

My Middle One thanks you in advance for this recipe.

3. Sabrina
    Posted October 2, 2009 at 8:03 AM | Permalink

Oh my gosh those look awesome. Thanks, I will be trying these soon.

4. to2sassy
    Posted October 2, 2009 at 8:55 AM | Permalink

That is a totally awesome idea!

5. oneordinaryday
    Posted October 2, 2009 at 9:57 AM | Permalink

Holy heck, Robin Sue. Will you be my best friend?

6. That Girl
    Posted October 2, 2009 at 10:34 AM | Permalink

Not only is this a great way to use up leftover ricotta cheese, I love that they're bite size since I can't handle more than a bite or two of a canolli!

7. unconfidentialcook
    Posted October 2, 2009 at 10:41 AM | Permalink

What a great idea!!! And, no, you're not bad–I think you showed restraint!

8. Fallon
    Posted October 2, 2009 at 10:42 AM | Permalink

CANNOLI!! I love these. This is a great bite size dessert for cocktail parties! Except like you, I'd eat more than one 😉

Thanks for your comment! I'm trying to keep busy but there always that down time that happens. Work is finally picking up so that what usually helps me out!

9. Karen
    Posted October 2, 2009 at 11:13 AM | Permalink

You only ate 5?? I would have eaten all 30! LOL They look so cute and yummy… perfect for a party.

10. Bryan V.
    Posted October 2, 2009 at 12:11 PM | Permalink

Looks very delicious! haha! i have eat 40 then..hahha.

11. Kelly
    Posted October 2, 2009 at 3:49 PM | Permalink

Wow, these look good, and the perfect party dessert. Thanks for a great idea/recipe.

12. Joan Nova
    Posted October 2, 2009 at 4:07 PM | Permalink

Genius…love it and will definitely do it! It's great for a dessert table. Unlike you, I'm all about NOT baking so these prepared cups are perfect for my kitchen.

13. Hillary
    Posted October 2, 2009 at 4:45 PM | Permalink

Oh man, I love these! Cannoli always seems hard to share but these bites are perfect for individual servings!

14. Grace
    Posted October 2, 2009 at 4:47 PM | Permalink

maaaaaah-velous! leave the gun, take the cannoli bites, right? 🙂

Posted October 2, 2009 at 4:52 PM | Permalink

Grace- HA ha ha ha !!

16. Ingrid
    Posted October 3, 2009 at 10:41 AM | Permalink

Love, love, love cannoli (I actually made a cannoli ice cream this summer! Yes, Yum!)but more often than not could careless about the shell so this is right up my alley. Thanks for sharing!

Have a wonderful weekend!
    ~ingrid

17. Penny
    Posted October 3, 2009 at 11:18 AM | Permalink

Perfect timing Robin Sue! I am hosting a Meet and Greet for some local political candidates and this will be perfect to serve. Thanks.

18. Ms Whit
    Posted October 3, 2009 at 2:52 PM | Permalink

Your Mini Baked Brie Cups look good enough to eat right off the computer screen. I will be making these soon. I always enjoy your recipes. Thanks and have a great day!!!

19. Mimi
    Posted October 3, 2009 at 6:11 PM | Permalink

I Love cannolis, but making the shells can be an all day adventure. This is a fabulous alternative.
    Mimi

20. Sophie
    Posted October 4, 2009 at 9:55 AM | Permalink

I love easy yet so tasty food as this!!

You know by now that I love fresh ricotta so I will love this!

21. noble pig
    Posted October 4, 2009 at 11:00 AM | Permalink

You have done it again Mrs.! I am so making these!

22. Ciao Chow Linda
    Posted October 4, 2009 at 2:49 PM | Permalink

I too, am a big lover of cannoli – had one yesterday in fact. This is a great idea for a quick fix.

23. Anonymous
    Posted October 4, 2009 at 4:22 PM | Permalink

Big Red Kitchen!! I just started my own blog, word-word-words.blogspot.com, but i've been following yours closely for quite some time. I love the recipes you post, they are all so homey and fun. I've made the sausage bread, fish patties, the cake balls you posted from Bakerella, and the lemonade pie which was amazing! My bodega didn't have full size pie crusts so i ended up making a ton of small ones which was really fun. I post some of my own original recipes on my blog, and a bunch of other stuff, but i guess that's not really important.

Anyway, I love your blog, I can't wait t try more of your recipes.

Posted October 4, 2009 at 8:24 PM | Permalink

Anon- thanks for trying all those recipes- WOW!

25. HoneyB
    Posted October 6, 2009 at 5:36 AM | Permalink

These are perfect! I must BM this to make sometime for my son (who loves canoli!)