Carb Loading: Noodles and Eggs

A very long time ago I used to run. I had the nice shoes, the cool tights, and people to run with me. One day while running a 5 mile route we had mapped out around my college campus, I stopped at about the 2 mile mark, told my running buddy that I was done -really DONE, and then walked the rest of the way home. Just like that it had occurred to me that I hated running and never wanted to do it again.

While in college, long before I had axed running and ran for leisure or sport, I often dined on Noodle and Eggs before a race to carb up. This recipe is from an old boyfriend who loved to run. He taught me how to make this dish so that I too could load up on carbs for some extra energy during a race. I was the worst runner ever and needed more that just a plate full of noodles to get me across the finish line. Gumption would have been nice. Although the relationship did not last, I acquired a few good recipes from him and his mom. I bet we could all write a cookbook called Recipes From My Ex or a country song called Our Love Died But I Got His Momma’s Secret Biscuit Recipe.

Noodles and Eggs
Per person:
1 1/2 T. olive oil- I used to use butter!
1 1/2 cups egg noodles or bow tie pasta, cooked
1 egg, beaten
2 T. Italian bread crumbs

In a large skillet over medium high heat, stir fry noodles in oil until golden. Working quickly, pour the egg over the noodles and toss to coat the noodles. Quickly sprinkle with bread crumbs and cook stirring constantly until eggs are cooked through. Eat immediately and go running or take a nap like me.

Although I do not run anymore, I still crave this dish on cold, rainy days when there is a big bowl of leftover noodles in my refrigerator.

How do you Carb Load?

Robin Sue

1. Rachael
    Posted October 23, 2009 at 8:32 AM | Permalink

There's an idea for left over noodles..carbs and eggs for the protein! Sounds really good…my kids would love this!

2. Donna
    Posted October 23, 2009 at 9:20 AM | Permalink

Ha Ha! I love the country song title! I am much more of a walker than a runner!

3. Fallon
    Posted October 23, 2009 at 12:06 PM | Permalink

To bad my ex-boyfriends never cooked. I was always the cook!!

I really love 2 things from the Great Harvest Bread Company. Their Dakota bread and their groovy granola. I can just carb load on those items all the time, but I try not too. =P

4. unconfidentialcook
    Posted October 23, 2009 at 12:11 PM | Permalink

I love this…and just made something similar from someone's blog last week. Noodles, oil, parmesand and poached egg (with loose yolk tossed throughout).

5. The Cooking Photographer
    Posted October 23, 2009 at 12:40 PM | Permalink

Hi Robin Sue,

Weird, I was just thinking about your blog last night and pie, and I saw a comment you left this morning!

Anyway, this carby pasta is something I would adore. I carb load all the time. When the great Atkins world takeover happened, all the bagel shops in my little town closed. I cursed the Atkins King that day, and mourned my carby loss.

But the world has changed again, and we have a bagel shop back.

Laura

6. Rindy R
    Posted October 23, 2009 at 5:10 PM | Permalink

I got my recipe for Monkey bread the very same way – He turned out to be an ape – but the recipe is great!!!

7. Tyna
    Posted October 23, 2009 at 5:32 PM | Permalink

Yum – reminds me of a childhood fave – buttered noodles. A German/PA Dutch influenced standard in my hometown (in central PA)

8. Lori Lynn
    Posted October 23, 2009 at 6:07 PM | Permalink

Ha! Not any more.

And I don't use butter anymore either when cooking for myself. Not complaining, love getting older.
    LL

9. Grace
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 7:59 AM | Permalink

i used to be a runner too, for a long time. my departure from that particular form of exercise wasn't as sudden as yours, but i've definitely moved away from it. it's a shame, too–no more excuses to devour platefuls of spaghetti. 🙂

10. Dorothy
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 11:47 AM | Permalink

Oh! So you mean we shouldn't carb load every day? 🙂 If-now that's a BIG if-I decided to take up running, I think I'd carb load on some mac & cheese. Or chewy-crusted pizza. Both of which I am sure I'd regret during the run!

As for your cookbook title ideas, I think you left out "Now That it's Over I Can Stop Eating His Mom's Bad Cooking and Make Something Good Myself" cookbook. I may or may not be speaking from experience…

11. Sheila
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 12:15 PM | Permalink

Oooh, you have those bad country music song titles down to a T. And, I think I have you beat for the worst runner ever. Robert used to run all the time. Once for a date he invited me along even though I assured him I could not run. After the 'run' he brought me back home and told me he was 'going running.'

Great carb recipe; my kids love pasta and I always need something easy and new!

12. Lisa
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 6:30 PM | Permalink

I used to be a runner till I got old with aches and pains…lol! I love to carb load with pasta.

13. pigpigscorner
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 5:35 PM | Permalink

Wow, great idea! Sounds really simple and tasty!

14. Morta Di Fame
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 5:54 PM | Permalink

Oh! What a bad influence you are! I think I hate running too, but if I'm gonna eat these noodles I can't give it up just yet…:-)))

15. Sabrina
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 8:02 PM | Permalink

The country songs are a hoot. I think we will have this dish this Friday before football on Saturday. Thanks!

16. Deanna
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 8:40 PM | Permalink

Love the country song!
    thanks for sharing the recipe!

17. That Girl
    Posted October 26, 2009 at 12:17 AM | Permalink

Your running story had me literally laughing out loud. I'm terrible at carbing up before races.

18. HoneyB
    Posted October 26, 2009 at 5:40 AM | Permalink

I actually love running but haven't been given permission to do so by my dr yet. I'm hoping next week he will give me the go ahead!!

Oh, and yeah, I have recipes from my ex and his family too!

19. Ingrid
    Posted October 27, 2009 at 12:48 PM | Permalink

Ha-ha! Funny!

I'm gonna keep this in mind for the twins. I'm certain it would work for any sports activity.
    ~ingrid

20. Peter M
    Posted October 28, 2009 at 10:03 AM | Permalink

I'll take an order of pasta and eggs but you have to run the order over to me!

21. Susan
    Posted November 2, 2009 at 12:41 PM | Permalink

My father (who was part Pennsylvania Dutch) used to do something similar with elbow macaroni. It had to be leftover and refrigerated; fresh cooked just didn't work. No bread crumbs, and after the macaroni started to get golden cover with strips of American cheese, or Velveeta. He'd use egg in his, but I never cared for it.