Making Apple Sauce

I haven’t used my Apple-Peeler-Corer-Slicer in ages. A few weeks ago I went apple picking with my folks and kiddies and decided to make Apple Sauce with my half of the bushel of apples we had picked. I was mostly interested in the Gala trees since those yielded the sweetest apples in the orchard. I threw in a few Granny Smith for good measure but it was mostly the Gala to get the job done right.

After peeling/coring/slicing what seemed to be about 25 apples, I piled them high in my crock pot, sprinkled them with about 2/3 cup of sugar, 1 T. cinnamon, and about 2-3 T. lemon juice. I cooked the batch on low for 6 hours then took my immersion blender to the entire batch. I completely pureed the apple sauce into a fine textured, smooth and creamy batch of comfort food love. This is German style Apple Sauce since it is so smooth. We tend to eat it chunkier here in the US but give me the smooth stuff any day. Try a dab on a potato cake. Sigh. Oh, I got about 10 or so cups of Apple Sauce when it was all said and done.

While at the orchard, I had purchased a few items that looked unique to me such as Sweet Potato Butter and Kickles- Pickles with a Kick. Cute. But that Sweet Potato butter was delicious, and I must figure out how to make it someday.

1. Mrsblocko
    Posted October 5, 2009 at 8:46 AM | Permalink

I've never made apple sauce before, mainly because I don't have one of those swanky apple peeler corers. I should just quit being lazy and make it. Your photos made my mouth water. I bet your house smelled wonderful all day.

It's good to know I'm not the only one who prefers smooth applesauce to the chunky. Chunky belongs in apple pie, not applesauce. 😉

p.s. The sweet potato butter sounds very interesting. I hope you can crack the recipe for that too!

2. Rachael
    Posted October 5, 2009 at 9:20 AM | Permalink

I don't think I made applesauce last Fall! It's something that I almost always do, and my kids LOVE it!

This reminds me that I need to make a big batch 🙂

3. Donna
    Posted October 5, 2009 at 9:36 AM | Permalink

That looks yummy! Thanks for the recipe!

4. Dolce
    Posted October 5, 2009 at 9:59 AM | Permalink

I don't think I have made apple sauce in… years… I've got to give it a try again!

I am also interested in the sweet potato butter 🙂

5. That Girl
    Posted October 5, 2009 at 10:17 AM | Permalink

we saw an apple peeler/corer/slicer the other day and it brought me right back to my childhood. I haven't used one in ages either!

6. Grace
    Posted October 5, 2009 at 10:43 AM | Permalink

i want an apple-peeler-corer-slicer! boy, if i had one of those, i'd be making applesauce and apple butter and apple pie out the wazoo!

7. Andy
    Posted October 5, 2009 at 11:34 AM | Permalink

for another delicious sweet potato butter, try this: http://www.cunninghamfarms.com

8. oneordinaryday
    Posted October 5, 2009 at 11:53 AM | Permalink

I need one of those gadgets and maybe I wouldn't be whining about having all these apples to bake with. I know I should really be enjoying them, but I just can't. I hate peeling/coring/slicing. What a pain.

Love the idea of making the applesauce in the crockpot. I'll try that next time.

9. kim @ mommyknows
    Posted October 5, 2009 at 2:44 PM | Permalink

Mmmmm … homemade apple sauce, it looks so good.

I have one of those peelers too! I need to dig it out and use it!

Kim

10. Maria
    Posted October 5, 2009 at 3:47 PM | Permalink

How funny. I just made crockpot applesauce on Sat. I will try to post this week:) Yours looks great!

11. EAT!
    Posted October 5, 2009 at 4:14 PM | Permalink

Oh where oh where is my apple peeler, slicer thing-a-ma-gig? I am off to search my cabinets and put the kids to work.

12. Penny
    Posted October 5, 2009 at 4:52 PM | Permalink

That applesauce looks so rich and dark. What a wonderful idea. I used to have one of those gadgets, but I either got rid of it when we moved or it is still in a box somewhere in our storage building of things that we choose to ignore.

13. Christina
    Posted October 5, 2009 at 5:54 PM | Permalink

Yum! I'll have to give it a try. How do you store all the applesauce? Canning?

Posted October 5, 2009 at 7:23 PM | Permalink

Christina- We ate the entire container in less than a week- so I kept it in the fridge. If I did store it for any amount of time over a week, I would have put it in the freezer. Thanks!

15. Sheila
    Posted October 5, 2009 at 8:52 PM | Permalink

I see we are in similar boats! This looks so good. I think I like the smooth consistency; will definitely try this recipe (as just about anything else you make). And the crock pot? Can't go wrong there, easy peasy.

16. Anne
    Posted October 5, 2009 at 10:17 PM | Permalink

Too funny; I just made applesauce in the crock pot for the first time last week – so easy. Much easier than simmering on the stove. I poured in some apple juice and 3 cinnamon sticks. Yum! Another benefit of cooking it in the crock pot: the house smells delicious all day long!

17. Sophie
    Posted October 6, 2009 at 8:20 AM | Permalink

What an excellent recipe!!!

A real fantastic & autumnly sauce!

18. noble pig
    Posted October 6, 2009 at 4:00 PM | Permalink

You've inspired me to get mine out!!

19. Lisa
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 2:13 AM | Permalink

Isn't this amazing fun? This year I ran into a problem though. I got out my apple peeler thing and found that the Jonagold apples I had bought were too big for gadget. Still the applesauce was great!

20. Jules
    Posted September 23, 2012 at 2:49 PM | Permalink

We love home made apple sauce!!! Last year after our poker walk at the camp grounds we made ours in the crock pot and added some vodka and made pie crust strips with cinnamon and sugar to dip it in!!! It was so yummy!

21. Noni
    Posted November 6, 2012 at 7:39 PM | Permalink

What kind of peeler do you use? I have bought four now and none of them work well.

• Robin Sue
      Posted November 7, 2012 at 10:14 AM | Permalink

I used the apple peeler corer slicer that I got years ago from PamperedChef. But sometimes I like to peel them with a little paring knife, my hands hurt but there is something nice about slowly peeling a pile of apples.