Thai Shrimp Bisque

carnation_logo.jpg

I have teamed up with One2One Network in getting the word out that Carnation Evaporated Milk is “The Cooking Milk.” With the holidays quickly approaching, I find it important to stock my pantry with ingredients that I will need for making all of my Christmas goodies and one of those ingredients is always Carnation Evaporated Milk, especially for my fudge and pumpkin pie recipes. But what Carnation wants us to realize is that their canned milk can be used in other recipes in place of regular milk. By replacing regular milk with canned milk, you will be adding extra protein and calcium to each and every dish-according to the information on their website.

One2One Network sent me a packet complete with $50, a Holiday Recipe Book, and coupons for two free cans of Carnation Evaporated Milk. I willingly agreed to make one of the recipes provided in the book and create a recipe highlighting the star ingredient- Evaporated Milk.

I must say my Thai Shrimp Bisque will make you weep like a baby. It is that good. The bisque is rich, creamy, and so very different than any soup I am used too. While eating it, I felt millions of miles away in some exotic land, without a care in the world. Nice.

Thai Shrimp Bisque
1 1/2 pounds raw, peeled, deveined, and tail-off med. shrimp
zest and juice of 3 small limes
1 1/2 T. Cognac
1/4 cup ginger ale

chopped salted peanuts
one bunch cilantro, chopped

In a large skillet having a fitted lid, saute over medium heat celery, onion, and sugar in olive oil until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Add tomato paste, garlic, and ginger and saute 1 minute. Add cayenne and flour, stirring well to coat the vegetables. Briskly whisk in both cans of milk, breaking up any clumps of vegetables. Cover and let simmer for about 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened. At this point add Kosher salt to taste. Once the sauce is thickened, add the shrimp, zest and juice from the limes, Cognac, and ginger ale. Stir well, cover and let simmer rapidly for 6 minutes or until shrimp are pink and in a tight curl. Adjust salt. Remove from heat and serve immediately topped with chopped peanuts and cilantro. Serves 6.

Carnation Famous Fudge was my recipe of choice from the Holiday Recipe Guide because I wanted fudge right now without waiting for Christmas! It came together quickly and easily. The trick to making good fudge is cooking it in an iron skillet for even heat distribution. It will come out smooth and creamy every time. I am pretty much a dunce in the candy making department but this fudge came out perfectly for me.

Go stock your pantry with Carnation Evaporated Milk and make that soup, especially that soup!

1. Rachael
    Posted October 1, 2009 at 7:27 AM | Permalink

Okay~ That soup makes me want to weep just looking at it!

This is so great, because I really need a new soup to add to my repertoire….my kids LOVE shrimp too.

Thanks for sharing this recipe!

p.s. The fudge looks pretty awesome too 🙂

2. Penny
    Posted October 1, 2009 at 10:03 AM | Permalink

I'm always trying to add more shrimp recipes to my menus. And I love thai, so this is perfect. Thanks Robin Sue.

3. Peter M
    Posted October 1, 2009 at 10:27 AM | Permalink

R-Sue, I've been using Carnation as a replacement for cream for years and as for the Bisque…the name alone wins me over (shrimp helps too).

4. That Girl
    Posted October 1, 2009 at 10:43 AM | Permalink

Everyone I know stocks up on flour and sugar and butter for the holidays. I'm terrible at preparing and stocking up.

5. Sophie
    Posted October 1, 2009 at 11:28 AM | Permalink

MMMMMM,…the soup looks rich & creamy,..a real winner!!

The dessert looks fab & yummie too!

6. Dawn
    Posted October 1, 2009 at 11:40 AM | Permalink

sue sue sue! no no no! you did not just post this heavenly bisque! oh my god!

7. Karen
    Posted October 1, 2009 at 11:47 AM | Permalink

Wow, this soup looks wonderful… I'm going to give it a try!

8. Maria
    Posted October 1, 2009 at 11:47 AM | Permalink

I am ready for comfort food! Love both of these!

9. Joan Nova
    Posted October 1, 2009 at 12:07 PM | Permalink

I'm weeping. It looks delicious.

Since I really don't do sweets, the evaporated milk is not something I ever buy but perhaps I'll pick up a can or two and experiment with savory dishes.

10. noble pig
    Posted October 1, 2009 at 12:39 PM | Permalink

Okay this soup…wow, wow, wow. I have to make it!

11. Patsyk
    Posted October 1, 2009 at 12:50 PM | Permalink

Between the Shrimp Bisque and the fudge, I'm wishing I could come over for lunch today!

12. Sabrina
    Posted October 1, 2009 at 4:42 PM | Permalink

Wow, that soup does look good. Thanks for sharing.

13. EAT!
    Posted October 1, 2009 at 9:41 PM | Permalink

I use evaporated milk in my Stovetop Mac and Cheese recipe. So creamy and thick!!

14. to2sassy
    Posted October 2, 2009 at 8:59 AM | Permalink

I start on a soup making binge at the first little sign of Fall. I do make soup in the summer but it just doesn't seem right. I can't wait to try this one it sounds great!

15. Ingrid
    Posted October 3, 2009 at 10:44 AM | Permalink

Robinb Sue will you please pass me a tissue? No I'm not weeping for your soup. I've got something in my eye! SOUP! LOL! That looks & sounds insanely good!
    ~ingrid

16. Kevin
    Posted October 3, 2009 at 2:16 PM | Permalink

You are combining two of my favorite things here, shrimp and Thai flavours. It looks great!

17. Erica
    Posted October 4, 2009 at 10:01 AM | Permalink

Wow! This looks fantastic! I love shrimp recipes….

18. Sheila
    Posted October 4, 2009 at 10:16 AM | Permalink

I have a ton of coconut milk to use up and I love a seafood bisque! This would make a delicious treat for tomorrow's lunch.

19. HoneyB
    Posted October 6, 2009 at 5:37 AM | Permalink

That is an awesome photo of your soup…it looks so delicious. Makes me want to reach in and grab a bowl!

20. gfe--gluten free easily
    Posted October 10, 2009 at 11:33 PM | Permalink

That soup is stunning! I want some right now … even if it is 11:30 at night. 😉 And, that fudge looks fab, too. I've never heard of making fudge in a cast iron skillet, but the even heat distro makes sense. I use evaporated milk for my pumpkin pie and for my son's favorite, chicken a la king. For some recipes, it is a critical ingredient. 🙂

Thanks!
    Shirley

21. pigpigscorner
    Posted October 12, 2009 at 2:47 PM | Permalink

The bisque looks AMAZING! I like how evaporated milk is used here instead of cream!

22. Lisa
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 2:10 AM | Permalink

You did a great job. this is a truly beautiful soup and it sounds delicious too!

23. Posted September 30, 2012 at 7:43 PM | Permalink

I made this tonight (with a few minor modifications, because I really just can’t help myself). So delicious. Exceeded my expectations. So awesome. I added toasted unsweetened coconut as a garnish, which I would highly recommend.