Banana Split Pie

Way back when, when I was a waitress at a local family restaurant in NJ, a fellow waitress made for us the most delectable pie- Banana Split Pie. It had us ooh-ing and ah-ing and even mmmm-ing. The owner of the restaurant liked it so much, she asked for the recipe and put the pie on our dessert menu. I don’t think the waitress made a red cent off the sale of those pies, and we sold them like hotcakes. Funny thing though, the pie had raw eggs in it and back then we thought nothing of it, didn’t even alert the customers to that fact. To remedy that little problem, I used pasteurized eggs and served this pie with confidence. My family LOVES this pie and to tell you the truth, they liked the story about the raw egg version better and thought it would be far more fun to eat a pie with a little risk. Wackos.

Banana Split Pie
2 sticks butter
2 cups powdered sugar
2 pasteurized eggs*

purchased Oreo pie crust
2 bananas sliced thinly
8 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained very well

1 1/2 cups whipping cream
2 T. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract

2 T. melted butter
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

maraschino cherries
Optional toppings: wet nuts, marshmallow cream, strawberry sauce

In a stand mixer bowl place the first three ingredients and using the paddle attachment on medium speed, beat for 20 minutes until smooth, light yellow, and fluffy. Spread into pie crust and top with sliced bananas and pineapple. Wash mixer bowl and place in it, whipping cream, 2 T. powdered sugar, and vanilla. Using the whisk attachment beat until just stiff, careful not to make butter. Spread the whipped cream over the entire pie. To melted butter stir in the chocolate chips until smooth and melted, then drizzle over the entire pie. Gently cover or place in a pie holder and refrigerate for 8 hours. When ready to serve slice pie with sharp knife being sure to cut all the way through he crust. Place the pieces on plates and drizzle with your other favorite Banana Split toppings like strawberry sauce, marshmallow sauce, or wet nuts. Top each with a cherry and serve. Serves 8.

*Note- When using pasteurized eggs, you may want to crack them in a separate bowl first as pieces of the shell tend to end up in there with the innards. To get shell pieces out of your eggs, use the empty shell half to scoop out the pieces. The pieces won’t “run away” from the shell like they do your spoon or finger.

Hint- When cutting pie from aluminum pans, use a kitchen shears to cut through the sides of the pie pan. This makes lifting the pie piece easier. A perfect piece every time. I do not recommend doing this with glass plates though.

Other nice desserts:
Famous Wafer Dessert
Oatmeal Cake
La Dame Blanche
Rice Pudding

This pie has been entered in Frigidaire’s Recipe Page!

1. Amanda
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 8:18 AM | Permalink

Holy cow! That looks fabulous, I am sooo making it 🙂 I have a pie recipe for French Silk JUST like Baker's Square that also uses raw eggs. I love living on the edge BAHAHA!

2. oneordinaryday
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 10:07 AM | Permalink

When I saw that photo I thought for sure this was an ice cream pie. I like it even better knowing it isn't. Good trick with the pie plate too!

3. Grace
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 11:09 AM | Permalink

wow. sky high heavenly pie. the filling sounds awesome, and the rest of the components are indeed reminiscent of one of my favorite ice cream treats!

4. That Girl
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 11:37 AM | Permalink

raw eggs are in so many fabulous foods, I don't even think twice about using them.

5. Maria
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 12:32 PM | Permalink

Now that is a dessert!

6. Bette
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 12:47 PM | Permalink

It is important to think twice about serving raw eggs to children, the eldery, pregnant women and any who is sick/immune compromised.

Salmonella can either make you a little sick or utterly, miserably, dangerously sick.

Commercial operations use liquid pateurized eggs. I prefer the eggs that have been pasteurized in the shell.

7. pigpigscorner
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 1:53 PM | Permalink

I've never had this in a pie form! Can I have the whole pie??!

8. Jessica Cangiano
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 2:03 PM | Permalink

My goodness, there are almost no words to describe how incredibly scrumptious that cake looks and sounds! Marvelous recipe, thank you for sharing this sugary gem! 🙂

Big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

9. Tasty Eats At Home
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 2:03 PM | Permalink

Oh wow, this sounds wonderful.

10. Karen
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 2:37 PM | Permalink

I love cooking/serving/entertaining tips as much as I do food! Now why didn't I think to cut thru an aluminum pan with scissors! 🙂

11. Christy
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 4:24 PM | Permalink

That is heaven in a pie plate!! Delish!!

12. Sabrina
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 6:40 PM | Permalink

This looks delicious. Have fun while you are away.

13. Mimi
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 6:43 PM | Permalink

It is a fabulous dessert, very popular in the late seventies.

14. Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 7:46 PM | Permalink

Kick ass creation!! Love it and cannot wait to make it for the peoples!!!

15. the domestic mama
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 8:00 PM | Permalink

I just LOVE your site and pics! You are a gem that needs to be discovered! Thank you for the inspiration and the post!

16. Karen
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 8:05 PM | Permalink

Yummy! Great idea. Kind of makes any day ready for a sundae!

17. Annie
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 11:41 PM | Permalink

What in the world is a "wet nut?"

18. noble pig
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 2:04 PM | Permalink

I love this and make a cake version, always great flavors.

19. Allen
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 7:42 PM | Permalink

That cake looks great!

20. Ingrid
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 9:22 PM | Permalink

I thought this was an ice cream pie. I still love that first photo with all the yummy drips tempting you to take a swipe at them.

I like how your family likes to live life on the edge. Yeah, baby raw eggs!

Happy Friday!

21. Erica
    Posted November 16, 2009 at 10:33 AM | Permalink

That looks like a delicious dessert!Nice pictures.

22. Sophie
    Posted November 16, 2009 at 11:34 AM | Permalink

Oh Robin Sue, what a feast for the eyes!!!!

MMMMMM,…I would like to eat 1 large slice, please!

23. Marysol
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 12:55 PM | Permalink

Glorious, glorious looking pie; every shot looks unholy, and I'm okay with that.

24. HoneyB
    Posted November 18, 2009 at 8:01 PM | Permalink

That pie looks just like something you would get in a restaurant – piled high!!! I love it!

25. Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes]
    Posted November 26, 2009 at 4:20 AM | Permalink

Now THAT'S what I call a pie!! Yum yum!