Harvest Chicken and Biscuits

IMG_3066-1.JPG

A super simple and delicious one-dish dinner to warm your chilly nights. While reading some of my favorite blogs and looking for inspiration for dinner one night, I came across Debbie’s Mocha Me and found that she made this terrific Chicken Recipe. It was so simple and having all of the ingredients, plus some, I thought to try it out. Trying desperately to get as many fruits and vegetables in my family as I possibly can I added celery, sweet potatoes, and apples to the mix then topped it all off with biscuits for a comforting, Autumn, one-dish dinner.

Harvest Chicken and Biscuits- based on Debbie’s Chicken Recipe
3.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 package Good Season’s Italian Dressing Mix
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 sweet potato, diced small
3 small gala apples, cored and sliced

One 12 count bag Pillsbury frozen buttermilk biscuits

In a large bowl mix sugar and dressing mix well. Add in chicken, vegetables, and apples and toss until well coated. Pour into a large greased baking dish being sure that the chicken is on top. Bake for 1 hour in a 375 degree oven or until veggies are fork tender. Top with biscuits and bake another 18 minutes. Serve in bowls. Serves about 8.

I think I would like to try the sugar and salad dressing mix over wings some time for a quick and tasty appetizer.

Other Autumn Meals:
Creamed Chicken
Chili Mack!
Easy Hungarian Goulash

Don’t forget to sign up for my newsletter that will come out on Dec 1.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Ma!

1. the domestic mama
    Posted November 23, 2009 at 7:08 AM | Permalink

ooo! I may do this! So simple and I bet it smells yummy!

2. HoneyB
    Posted November 23, 2009 at 7:58 AM | Permalink

I have never seen anything like this one! Looks yummy and comforting!

3. alanna rose
    Posted November 23, 2009 at 8:33 AM | Permalink

Do you realize you just saved my family from eating cereal for dinner tonight? Thanks!

4. Duchess of Fork
    Posted November 23, 2009 at 10:07 AM | Permalink

Wow, this looks so yummy! I do a Bistro Chicken and Biscuit dish with puff pastry. Thanks for sharing.

5. Karen
    Posted November 23, 2009 at 11:39 AM | Permalink

That looks like something my whole family would enjoy!

6. That Girl
    Posted November 23, 2009 at 1:04 PM | Permalink

This does look so nice and comfy! I used to love pilsbury biscuits when I was grown up, but I'm still terrified of opening the container.

7. Mimi
    Posted November 23, 2009 at 2:13 PM | Permalink

I'm all for one dish dinners. sound delicious.
    Mimi

8. Karen
    Posted November 23, 2009 at 2:41 PM | Permalink

Couldn't get any easier than that! It sounds like it'd be good!

9. Jenn@slim-shoppin
    Posted November 23, 2009 at 3:09 PM | Permalink

Happy Birthday to your MOM!

Chicken and biscuits was one of my favorite meals growing up. I don't make it as much as I should for my family. And I love how you added more veggies!

10. Grace
    Posted November 23, 2009 at 4:39 PM | Permalink

i really enjoy apples in savory dishes, so i have no doubt that this would be a hit with me. meanwhile, i always think of those "chicken in a biskit" crackers when i see chicken and biscuits eaten together. is that weird? those crackers were good!

11. Sabrina
    Posted November 23, 2009 at 6:46 PM | Permalink

very interesting. It sounds tastey. I am impressed how you can change up a dish.

12. Maria
    Posted November 23, 2009 at 10:19 PM | Permalink

Nice and comforting!

13. Ingrid
    Posted November 23, 2009 at 10:31 PM | Permalink

My children just don't seem to like biscuits except as a vehicle for eggs and sausage. They'd just pick off the biscuits which totally make the meal!
    ~ingrid

14. marissa
    Posted November 23, 2009 at 11:41 PM | Permalink

looks so good!

15. Peter M
    Posted December 21, 2009 at 6:33 PM | Permalink

This is one of those southern dishes you see much around here. Biscuits for mopping up sauce? YES!

16. Colby