Kielbasa Sauerkraut Buns

Sunday night dinners are a different ball game, aren’t they? Growing up we never had a formal Sunday night dinner because Ma made us a big Sunday afternoon dinner with all the fixin’s. So Sunday night was always something simple like an omlet, buttered pastina, or Elios frozen pizza then off to eat it all in front of the TV while watching the “Million Dollar Man.” Sunday night dinner is the same way in our house now, pretty much a fend for yourselfer. While in Germany, Himself’s brother and family lived in the next village over and we shared many Sunday night suppers together. These Kielbasa Sauerkraut Buns made the menu many times and are so delicious. With the temps dropping, I find myself digging into the ole recipe box for warm and comforting recipes like this one.

Kielbasa Sauerkraut Buns– Adapted from an old Taste of Home recipe
5 strips bacon, sliced
1 sweet onion chopped
1- 14 ounce can sauerkraut, drained
1/2 pound kielbasa, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup brown sugar
one box Hot Roll Mix
1 egg yolk mixed with 2 t. water
poppy seeds

In a large skillet, over med-high heat, fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Drain off most of the bacon grease leaving about 2 T. in the pan. Add onions and fry until translucent and starting to brown. To the onions add sauerkraut, kielbasa, garlic, bacon, and sugar. Cook about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. While the sauerkraut mixture is cooking, make the hot roll mix according to the package directions. Remove sauerkraut mixture form the stove. Divide the dough into 12 equal balls. Roll each one flat and fill with 1/4 cup sauerkraut mixture. Pull dough together to close bun pinching the seams together. Place seam side down on a greased cookie sheet. Brush each bun with egg wash and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 16 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 12 buns.

More Stuffed Bread Recipes:
Chicken Packets
Stromboli
Sausage Bread

Newly updated “Blogs of the Month”

1. Penny
    Posted November 2, 2009 at 7:54 AM | Permalink

Robin Sue, These rolls appeal to me on many levels – so much so that I am going to make them soon. Thanks for including me in your blogs of the month! It is an honor.

2. EAT!
    Posted November 2, 2009 at 7:54 AM | Permalink

Oh the possibilities I see for filling these buns. Hmmmm. First with kielbasa then ???

3. Dawn
    Posted November 2, 2009 at 9:58 AM | Permalink

I LOVE when you make these kinds of things. Man.

4. Marysol
    Posted November 2, 2009 at 11:07 AM | Permalink

Robin, we fend for ourselves every night of the week here as well.
    But I might need boxing gloves and a mouth piece if I were to serve these delicious Kielbasa Buns to my hngry troops, and still have some left over for me.

5. Grace
    Posted November 2, 2009 at 11:20 AM | Permalink

i have a feeling i could bribe my brothers pretty easily with something like this. what a handy and delicious little creation, robin sue–danke!

6. That Girl
    Posted November 2, 2009 at 11:31 AM | Permalink

I love that the meat is cooked right into the bun! Like a little surprise.

7. Cheri
    Posted November 2, 2009 at 2:17 PM | Permalink

I could really go for one of these right now! They sound so good! Say the words kielbasa and sauerkraut and I am there!

8. pigpigscorner
    Posted November 2, 2009 at 5:01 PM | Permalink

wow, wonderful shot! Love everything about this!

9. biz319
    Posted November 2, 2009 at 6:13 PM | Permalink

You had me at sauerkraut!!

Being the only one in my family who eats sauerkraut, I am still going to make a batch of these up for myself!

10. Joan Nova
    Posted November 2, 2009 at 6:59 PM | Permalink

So I'm curious…is Sunday night fend-for-yourself because you have a big midday dinner? Or is the whole day casual? Growing up in an Italian environment the Sunday dinner was in the afternoon and lasted hours so by evening it was light fare.

11. Natalie
    Posted November 2, 2009 at 11:04 PM | Permalink

It's filled with sauerkraut… bacon… and kielbasa? This sounds so freakin' delicious!! I would have never thought to make anything like this, especially with the sauerkraut, which I love so much.

12. noble pig
    Posted November 2, 2009 at 11:48 PM | Permalink

Yep, these are so my Polish life, love it!!

13. unconfidentialcook
    Posted November 3, 2009 at 1:32 PM | Permalink

I love these…and what a great idea with endless possibilities. Our Sunday night dinners bear no resemblance to the other six days of the week. A lot of "special" sandwiches, always easy, never slimming for some reason.

14. Karen
    Posted November 3, 2009 at 8:29 PM | Permalink

Looks fantastic! Very comforting and inviting. I want one.

15. bringing up baby, too
    Posted November 3, 2009 at 10:33 PM | Permalink

This looks delicious and easy – I can't wait to make these! Thanks!

16. Jenn@slim-shoppin
    Posted November 4, 2009 at 2:57 PM | Permalink

I knew my sister would have seen these! I thought of her immediately. I've never seen something more deluxe!

17. GardenNymph
    Posted November 4, 2009 at 8:38 PM | Permalink

Kielbasa? The last time I had that I was having it again and again and again. What substitute would you suggest? 🙂

18. PhilB
    Posted November 4, 2009 at 8:57 PM | Permalink

Oooo, baby! I'm definitely gonna try this one. Thanks for putting it up.

Posted November 4, 2009 at 9:17 PM | Permalink

GardenNymph- I hear ya! But I do love the stuff. Try any other sausage you love- Italian, turkey, Andouille, chorizo, and Trader Joe's, if you have one has a nice line of pre-cooked chicken sausages that may work nicely too.

PS- I used turkey Kielbasa so it was not bad as the full fat stuff!

20. Donna-FFW
    Posted November 9, 2009 at 7:58 AM | Permalink

Can these be prepared ahead of time and then baked if I wanted to travel with them?

Posted November 9, 2009 at 9:11 AM | Permalink

Donna I would par bake them first until set then reheat them at 350 for about 15 minutes or so. Hope this helps!

22. Hannah
    Posted November 9, 2009 at 10:47 PM | Permalink

Robin:

The company bread and Greek soup were both delicious and just what I needed to help me get through some grading. Thank you so much!

Posted November 9, 2009 at 10:52 PM | Permalink

Hannah- Your welcome. Chocolate gets me through grading, but soup works too!