Slice of Life

Family. The most important people in the world to me. In the photo above is the Klause side of the family. My parents came for the weekend because their church had bestowed the honor of “Oaks of Righteousness”* to them for their service to God and the church. The church also had a professional DVD made of my parents telling their love story and about their faith in God. I am grateful to have such great parents, they are an enormous blessing to all who know them.

Above is the original Fab 4- Rob, Ma, Me, and Dad. It was also my Dad’s birthday on Oct. 31 and Zuzu’s (he is little guy on the far right in the yellow shirt in the top photo) 10th birthday on Nov. 1, so we all went out to dinner after church on Sunday. In the midst of all of this, my own little family is starting to get sick. Doots missed two days of school last week and Himself spent part of the day in bed yesterday. The bugs may get us but don’t stick around long.

We have been loading up on immune system boosters on a daily basis. The home cooking helps too. Last night it was chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, corn, and roasted butternut squash.

I must let you know too that I have started a new workout routine at Himself’s gym. It is called CrossFit, where we throw buses and bench press mini vans. Just kidding, but that is how my body feels. Last Friday night they had me flipping a stinkin’ truck tire. Not a pickup truck tire mind you, but a real truck tire! I got down in a squat position, placed my hands under the thing and went huuuughh- it didn’t budge. The other girls with biceps the size of my thigh had to help me. Even today I still walk like I have a load in my pants. My co-workers are starting to take notice. So I will keep you posted on what crazy things these firemen and professional female football players have me doing.

So what are all of you up to? Keeping healthy, I hope?

* This is the verse in the Bible where Oaks of Righteousness is found. β€œThey will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor.” Isaiah 61:3

1. oneordinaryday
    Posted November 5, 2009 at 9:07 AM | Permalink

Oh, Robin Sue, you're killing me! Good for you for going to the gym, but man…. a truck tire??? No wonder you're sore and stiff! You go, girl! : )
    And how lovely to have your family all together to honor your parents like that. What a lovely event.

2. Dawn
    Posted November 5, 2009 at 10:26 AM | Permalink

zinc, we've been doing a lot of zinc here. and drinking more of the organic green tea.
    did you get your haircut? very cute.
    we had butternut squash too, with the leftover I want to make some gnocci–have a good recipe for a sauce to go with that?

3. Karen
    Posted November 5, 2009 at 12:25 PM | Permalink

What a beautiful family you have. Everyone looks so happy!

4. Fallon
    Posted November 5, 2009 at 12:34 PM | Permalink

Crossfit is great! I try to incorporate it into my workout routine sometimes at the gym. It definitely a challenge and is nicer when you have a partner to help out.

My boyfriend started to do some Crossfit over in Iraq recently! He keeps complaining how he can't walk =P

5. Christina
    Posted November 5, 2009 at 1:22 PM | Permalink

I love Crossfit! Good job on the workout, that sounds intense. Sadly we don't have a Crossfit gym nearby so we do what we can at our local gym…no truck tires here. Stay healthy! That dinner looks like it will take care of any bug; yummy homemade food will do that. πŸ™‚

6. noble pig
    Posted November 5, 2009 at 1:41 PM | Permalink

To keep healthy we are getting the H1N1 shot tomorrow!! Does that count?

7. Kelly
    Posted November 5, 2009 at 2:26 PM | Permalink

Mmm… that down-home dinner looks SO good.

Congrats on the Crossfit workouts! From everything I've heard, read and seen, it'll get you into great shap. I did a crossfit bootcamp and it was a great experience. I have a hard time making it to a gym, so I workout in the mornings with my sister. She lives about a mile away, so she comes over and we workout for about a half hour at 5:30AM. Yeah, I know! If I didn't do it then, it would never happen.

So far, my husband and I have managed to be healthy, although we were both flirting with a cold this week. Let's hope it remains a harmless flirtation and not a full-blown affair. πŸ˜‰

8. Lisa
    Posted November 5, 2009 at 7:11 PM | Permalink

Great pictures! Hope the kiddos are feeling better! We have been loading up with vitamins.

9. Sheila
    Posted November 5, 2009 at 8:49 PM | Permalink

This was great (sweet and funny). How incredible to have your parents not only recognized by their children, but by others. I love the photos!

10. Sabrina
    Posted November 5, 2009 at 9:32 PM | Permalink

Great family pictures.
    And what?!?!? Flipping a truck tire? Oh my goodness. That is incredible. Good for you.
    We are taking vitamins, eating oranges and drinking lots of water.

11. Marysol
    Posted November 6, 2009 at 12:51 PM | Permalink

Happy family!

Robin, keep taking care of the kids with your comforting meals, and don't forget to include lots of N.Y. penicillin too.

12. Ingrid
    Posted November 6, 2009 at 1:43 PM | Permalink

Great family photo! I love my family, too!

LOL, I need to start working out or stop eating dinner and dessert so late.

Happy Friday!
    ~ingrid

13. Rindy R
    Posted November 7, 2009 at 9:06 AM | Permalink

oh I love your family Robin! Love that "Ma" of yours!!
    Flipping a truck tire? Isn't a truck tire actually larger than your cute little body – I can't quite picture the whole thing!!!!

14. scottnjoyce
    Posted November 7, 2009 at 1:49 PM | Permalink

I thought my workouts were kind of crazy! I can't wait to tell my fellow gym rats what you were doing! I just ran 6 miles yesterday-can you believe-me-not a runner! I might even join a master's swim team program to keep me going through the winter.
    I just completed a sprint triathalon in Delaware a few weeks ago.
    And the cardiologists say I have a weak heart–ha-I'll show them!

Posted November 7, 2009 at 6:48 PM | Permalink

Joyce- You are in the best shpae ever to do all of that! And we all know you have the biggest heart of anyone I know!

Dawn- I don't know of a good sauce for that but I bet you will rock the house with something awesome!

16. unconfidentialcook
    Posted November 8, 2009 at 12:45 PM | Permalink

A truck tire–are you kidding? My husband will be right over for some chicken fried steak!

17. KJ
    Posted November 9, 2009 at 2:55 PM | Permalink

My problem…I actually don't mind the workouts. I like knowing I am finding that muscle that has been asleep for years. But I feel so hungry after that I tend to gorge myself…drink water they say??? Doesn't do it for me…food I love food…which is why I enjoy your blog! :o)

Congrats to your parents…they must do A LOT to receive that kind of honor!!

18. Art and Appetite
    Posted November 9, 2009 at 4:19 PM | Permalink

Robin, what a wonderful family you have.

I wish you all the best and good health.

19. Mimi
    Posted November 9, 2009 at 5:55 PM | Permalink

Love your family photos. You must be so proud of your parents. I'm sure that will feel a sense of pride to see you hefting a truck tire too.
    Hope that you are all feeling better.
    Mimi