Spiced Cider “Mulling Minnows”

This time of year we start purchasing apple cider for drinking on those cool mornings- we especially like it spiced. The aroma of spiced cider wafting through the air brings everyone running. I have tried various mulling spice blends all of which were pretty good but one day while reading some of my favorite blogs, I came across Katie’s, of Chaos in the Kitchen, way of making spiced cider. She makes these adorable Cider Beetles.

She simply dries hulled orange peel shells, fills them with brown sugar, and designs a beetle on them using nutmeg, cinnamon sticks, allspice, and whole cloves. You see I did mine a little differently and made little “Mulling Minnows!” Instead of a whole nutmeg I did grate some fresh nutmeg into the orange peel shell and then filled it with the brown sugar. Like Katie I designed mine with whole cloves, cinnamon sticks, and allspice berries. I wrapped these with clear cellophane and tied them at the “tail” with red raffia. One Mulling Minnow added to 1 1/2 quarts of cider and heated through makes a terrifically spiced cider with a wonderful orange flavor. The longer you leave the orange shell in the cider the more bitter it will become, so be sure to only heat it with the cider for about 10-15 minutes. I do like bitter orange but some may not. Go on over to Katie’s to see exactly how she made her Cider Beetles.

With this post, I have joined my friend Shirley of Gluten Free Easily in the Holiday Food Fest event under the category Gifts of Good Taste which is featured on Phoebe’s site- Cents to Get Debt Free. See what other homemade treats others have come up with.

Thanks Katie, these will make perfect hostess gifts throughout the HOLY-day season!

For More gifts from the kitchen try these:
Hot Chocolate Pods
Peanut Butter Bars
Caramel Apple Kit
Peanut Butter Candy

Only 2 more weeks until my Holiday Newsletter comes out. Sign up now.

1. katie
    Posted November 18, 2009 at 8:53 AM | Permalink

lol Those minnows are so cute Robin! I want to make reindeer one year with the nutmeg as the head, cloves for antlers and all spice for ears. I want to add a little red cinnamon candy to the bottom as a nose. 😉

2. biz319
    Posted November 18, 2009 at 12:43 PM | Permalink

Love how yours came out!

Could you double check and see if I am on your mailing list?

You can send it to bdl319@gmail.com

Thanks!

3. That Girl
    Posted November 18, 2009 at 12:45 PM | Permalink

You have THE best ideas for little goodies to make for my coworkers!

4. noble pig
    Posted November 18, 2009 at 1:31 PM | Permalink

So cute, what a great idea!!!

5. Anne
    Posted November 18, 2009 at 4:04 PM | Permalink

You are giving me awesome ideas for Christmas presents!

6. Rate This Recipe
    Posted November 18, 2009 at 4:23 PM | Permalink

This is such a nice food gift for holidays. I am adding your blog to my blogroll.

7. Velva
    Posted November 18, 2009 at 4:31 PM | Permalink

This is over the top creative! Wow! A perfect gift idea.

8. Mimi
    Posted November 18, 2009 at 6:53 PM | Permalink

What a cute and useful gift idea.
    Mimi

9. alanna rose
    Posted November 18, 2009 at 9:02 PM | Permalink

I love it! Might need to whip up a few for teachers gifts 🙂

10. Hoosier Homemade
    Posted November 19, 2009 at 9:10 PM | Permalink

Love the idea! Hadn't thought to do drinks.
    Thanks for sharing!
    ~Liz

11. Phoebe @ Cents to Get Debt Free
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 4:56 PM | Permalink

I love this–what a great gift!

12. gfe--gluten free easily
    Posted November 21, 2009 at 9:21 AM | Permalink

"Minnows"–too cute! Really beautiful presentation, Robin! Can't wait to give these a try … they'll make me look like a kitchen goddess, too. 😉

Thanks for the link love, dear! I'm really so glad you joined in the Holiday Food Fest. 🙂 I'll be hosting on Dec. 10. Hope you (and others) will join in then, too!

Shirley

13. Tasty Eats At Home
    Posted November 21, 2009 at 11:27 PM | Permalink

How absolutely cute! I love this.

14. Brian
    Posted November 22, 2009 at 2:48 AM | Permalink

Very cool! I'm not all that creative but I may have to give these a try. I love the idea. Thanks for sharing.