Super Fast: Company Bread

IMG_2686-1.JPG

Time to start throwing the Super Fast recipes at you. This time of year we are all so busy getting ready for the holidays. Here is a recipe taught to me by my old Army pal, Anne. We met in Germany and she had me over many times for lunch. One of my favorite things that she made for me and some of the other girls in our group was Company Bread- at least that is what I have dubbed it. Now I don’t want to hear it, “those are canned biscuits Robin Sue.” Canned biscuits schmiscuits. So what? I probably only buy these things three times a year, so once in a while it is ok to cheat a little. Anyway this makes a beautiful and tasty loaf, super fast.

Company Bread
2 cans Pillsbury Grands! jr. Golden Layers, Butter Tastin’ biscuits
2 T. melted butter
1 tsp. fresh rosemary, chopped fine
few stems of thyme leaves, leaves only
pinch kosher salt
pinch fresh ground black pepper

Remove biscuits for the cans and separate each biscuit in two layers. Stand the layers up in a 9×5 inch loaf pan. Place the halves three across and continue to fill the pan that way until full. They will be squished in there tightly. To the melted butter add the seasonings, mix well and spoon over the bread. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes or until golden and no longer doughy in the center. You may have to cover the loaf with foil in the last 5 minutes. To serve, let cool for a bit and then cut with a serrated knife. Serves 8.

Note- You may use any fresh or dried herbs that you desire. I have even added Parmesan cheese before.

This bread went nicely with Peter’s Giouvarlakia Soup or Greek Soup to me because there is no way I can pronounce that fancy name. Most things that I make from Peter’s site, Kalofagas, are called Peter’s Greek Dessert, Peter’s Greek Lasagna, or Peter’s Greek Appetizer because I cannot speak Greek… yet. This soup is very comforting and smooth. I loved the freshness that the lemon juice brought to this dish. I found it to be a very hearty and healthy meal. Follow his instructions exactly and you too will be eating this wonderful dish in less than 30 minutes.

More Super Fast Recipes:
Tiny Brie Bites
Cheese Pretzels
Cannoli Bites
Wacky Cake
Mini Baked Brie Cups
Cookie Dough Pie
Taco Soup

1. Sabrina
    Posted November 9, 2009 at 11:03 PM | Permalink

That bread looks soooo good. It is almost 10pm and I would love some warm bread right now. I don't care if it is canned biscuits. Because sometimes processed is still good. Keep the fast stuff comin'. Thanks.

2. Peter M
    Posted November 10, 2009 at 12:26 AM | Permalink

Robin-Sue – you did it! The soup and bread look great, side-by-side. It's a meal (the soup) and one of my fave Greek dishes…OPA!

3. LaDue & Crew
    Posted November 10, 2009 at 12:37 AM | Permalink

I'm right there with ya on the biscuit thingy- these look fab! And you can never go wrong with a recipe of Peters- he's THE Greek!

4. Fallon
    Posted November 10, 2009 at 2:53 AM | Permalink

That bread is so cool looking! Honestly looks like a an expensive loaf of bread, but really it isn't! Army wives are smart 😉

5. Penny
    Posted November 10, 2009 at 8:04 AM | Permalink

Great idea for bread: no different than making monkey bread from frozen rolls. The soup looks luscious.

6. Amanda
    Posted November 10, 2009 at 8:51 AM | Permalink

Wow that looks amazing!

7. oneordinaryday
    Posted November 10, 2009 at 9:46 AM | Permalink

I love this! I would never have guessed it was so easy or that it used canned biscuits. It really looks like some sort of complicated artisan bread. You're a brilliant girl, Robin Sue.
    (And thanks for the tip with the chili and chocolate!!)
    ~Michelle

8. Grace
    Posted November 10, 2009 at 9:53 AM | Permalink

i confess, i used canned biscuits for a few dishes. peas and dumplins come to mind. i think this is great, and if ever i was gonna eat a regular ol' canned biscuit, it'd be the flaky layers kind. 🙂

9. Sophie
    Posted November 10, 2009 at 11:12 AM | Permalink

What a neat idea for the bread & that soup sounds so good too!

Yummie!

10. That Girl
    Posted November 10, 2009 at 11:37 AM | Permalink

I don't remember ever being as busy during the holidays as I am this year. This looks perfect!

11. Marysol
    Posted November 10, 2009 at 12:23 PM | Permalink

Robin, I don't think I've ever seen bread made to look that good. So pretty with all its buttery layers.

And being the carb queen that I am, I have to make this.

12. Patsyk
    Posted November 10, 2009 at 1:34 PM | Permalink

that bread looks amazing! if you are busy, it's perfectly ok to use a convenience product in my opinion. If you dress it up (as you did here), it can be the perfect addition to the meal!

13. The Cooking Photographer
    Posted November 10, 2009 at 2:39 PM | Permalink

Robin Sue this is a life saver. Thank-you! I will be using this over and over.

Laura

14. Maria
    Posted November 10, 2009 at 3:20 PM | Permalink

I love fast, tasty meals. Thanks!

15. the domestic mama
    Posted November 10, 2009 at 5:12 PM | Permalink

ooo! I LOVE IT!

16. easy recipes
    Posted November 10, 2009 at 5:42 PM | Permalink

The company bread look amazing.

17. Sheila
    Posted November 10, 2009 at 11:51 PM | Permalink

Love the way it looks! Like a braided loaf but without the trouble.

18. noble pig
    Posted November 11, 2009 at 3:14 AM | Permalink

Hey that's a great idea, We all need quic these days!

19. Jenn@slim-shoppin
    Posted November 11, 2009 at 3:23 PM | Permalink

That's the best idea I've ever seen for making bread. It looks like you slaved over it for a long time, but it looks so fancy!

I'm totally making that for Thanksgiving!!

20. biz319
    Posted November 11, 2009 at 5:51 PM | Permalink

Fantastic idea! I have fresh rosemary too – this may be on my table soon!

I'll have to check out that soup recipe – I love the lemon aspect of it!

21. Tammy
    Posted November 11, 2009 at 5:53 PM | Permalink

Can't wait to see all the quick ideas you throw at us. I always love everything you post. These look wonderful!

22. Mimi
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 2:08 AM | Permalink

That bread looks delicious. Good cooks use every available resource, homemde or store bought.
    Mimi

23. tamilyn
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 11:08 PM | Permalink

Oh, come to Mama. I have to be honest-I make a lot of things with those biscuits! Yummy, yummy!

24. Lisa
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 1:04 AM | Permalink

Honestly, I'd call that genius! The loaf looks amazing and I know my family would love it. What more can you ask for? It's a great little trick to keep on hand. Thanks for sharing.

25. cookies and cups
    Posted November 21, 2009 at 10:20 AM | Permalink

Wow! That bread look perfect! So much nicer than the biscuits on their own!
    I'm going to bookmark his one!