Pineapple Squares

This year I did things a little differently. I asked each family member what treat they would like me to make for Christmas. Thinking I knew my husband like a book, I thought for sure he would choose Buckeyes or Ting-a-lings but no, he chose a recipe his mother made when he was a boy, one of which I had never heard of before: Pineapple Squares.

Himself and I met in 1992 at Fort Dix, New Jersey while he was stationed there. I worked in an ICU at a local hospital where a nurse friend of mine had been hounding me to attend her church’s singles group when I finally caved and went. Himself was there, I was not interested in him or any other guy at the time but things changed quickly when he left a note on my truck asking me to call him sometime. Thankfully my roommate encouraged me to call him, “Call him, he is a lonely GI trying to make a friend.” That’s what I was worried about. I did call, thought he was boring but went out with him anyway. Our first date was at a New Jersey diner and our second date was bowling, third was playing poker with a bunch of his Army buddies, and our fourth was square dancing. Somewhere in there we said, “I love you,” and 14 months later we were married. Nothing is boring about our lives. We have lived in wonderful places, met amazing people, have had unbelievable opportunities, and most importantly, we have three incredible children. Yup, Himself is the best.

I gladly made Himself his Pineapple Squares. After searching the web and having friends on twitter hunt down the recipe for me, his mom finally found the recipe from her sister. Although the recipes sent to me by Mary on twitter looked fantastic, I KNEW that I had better make the one Himself remembered to avoid hearing, “These don’t taste like my mother’s,” which would send me from the kitchen screaming, “fine, go back to your mother’s then!”

Pineapple Squares
Crust:
2 1/2 cups AP flour
1 1/4 cups butter, chilled and cubed
2 T. sugar
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut

Filling:
20 ounce can crushed pineapple- do not drain!
1 egg beaten
2 T. cornstarch
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
4 ounce container green candied or glazed cherries
4 ounce container red candied or glazed cherries

In your stand or hand mixer blend the crust ingredients until a fine crumb is formed. Set aside 3/4 cup crumb mix and with the rest press into a greased 9×13 inch baking dish. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Meanwhile in a double boiler stir the filling ingredients, except the cherries, until thickened. Stir in cherries. Pour over baked crust. Sprinkle with remaining crust mixture and bake for another 25 minutes. Cool completely and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut into 24 squares wiping the knife between cuts. Makes 24 pieces.

These are not only beautifully festive, they are very tasty too.

Have a happy weekend. Fingers are crossed for snow but only if it falls on the lawn and not the streets, sidewalks, and driveway.

1. HoneyB
    Posted December 18, 2009 at 8:34 AM | Permalink

I have never seen a recipe like this! I have to say it has me intrigued. I also have red and green cherries in my cupboard…hmmm. ;o)

Lovely story of how you met. Sometimes the least expected turns out to be something wonderful. Someday I will have to share Grumpy and my story of how we met!

2. Crazy About Cakes
    Posted December 18, 2009 at 9:25 AM | Permalink

Wow! The pineapple squares look very good. I think I will have to give them a try. Thanks for the fun post.

~Lynette

3. Sabrina
    Posted December 18, 2009 at 9:44 AM | Permalink

You and himself make a wonderful couple. You balance each other beautifully. and this recipe looks delicious. Enjoy the snow this weekend.

4. Dawn
    Posted December 18, 2009 at 11:16 AM | Permalink

I've never heard of these. Where did he have them or grow up with them?

5. Grace
    Posted December 18, 2009 at 11:24 AM | Permalink

how sweet! and no, i'm not talking about those cherries. 🙂 these bars are new to me too, and even though the glazed cherries scare me a little, they make for a beautiful treat!

6. Fallon
    Posted December 18, 2009 at 11:44 AM | Permalink

What a great story! These are definitely different when you think Holiday, but the addition of the candied cherries makes them festive.

7. That Girl
    Posted December 18, 2009 at 11:51 AM | Permalink

I have to say you are a very brave woman for attempting one of your mother-in-law's recipes. That always ends in disaster for me.

8. Karen
    Posted December 18, 2009 at 11:57 AM | Permalink

I love "how we met" stories… could just listen to them all day long! These squares are so festive looking – perfect for the holidays!

9. Anonymous
    Posted December 18, 2009 at 12:26 PM | Permalink

This sounds like a better way to use candied cherries than fruitcake–and a prettier way, also. I think I'll make them for Sunday School class munchie this weekend.
    I always enjoy your recipes and the stories that accompany them.
    Happy weekend to you and yours.
    Suellen

10. Rate This Recipe!!
    Posted December 18, 2009 at 3:55 PM | Permalink

Very festive looking!!

Posted December 18, 2009 at 5:00 PM | Permalink

Dawn- He grew up in Seattle and his mom found these out of a little Canadian Cookbook.

12. oneordinaryday
    Posted December 18, 2009 at 5:03 PM | Permalink

Oooh! We used to square dance when we were growing up. Such great memories of dancing with my dad and grandpa. Thanks for reminding me!

I've never heard of this treat, but I'm glad your hubby got to enjoy a favorite childhood memory too.

13. Mimi
    Posted December 18, 2009 at 8:59 PM | Permalink

I love your how we met story. I have never heard of pinapple square before. They look very festive and absoultely delicious.
    Mimi

14. Mommy's Kitchen
    Posted December 18, 2009 at 10:05 PM | Permalink

Very pretty and festive. My husband loves pineapple Robing. I gotta try these. Enjoy your snow.

15. Linda
    Posted December 18, 2009 at 10:39 PM | Permalink

Thank you for sharing your lovely story about how you and your husband met. Very sweet.
    These pineapple squares look so different and festive. I might have to try this this year!!

16. Maria
    Posted December 19, 2009 at 1:24 AM | Permalink

Great story and unique recipe!

17. Mary
    Posted December 19, 2009 at 2:12 AM | Permalink

Fantastic post! What a great story and you know that I am SO making these!!

So glad the MIL found the actual recipe tho – I'm sure that he was delighted because they look so good. Thanks for the shout-out anyway!

I just saw a tweet from @FoodBlogs and this post was the most popular post of the day today!!! Tell the hub that he was definitely on to something!!

Have a great weekend. LMBO at the snow "request." Looks like all that flooding rain we had is making it's way up north in the form of a blizzard.

Stay warm, and dry, and safe my friend!!

18. the domestic mama
    Posted December 19, 2009 at 7:15 AM | Permalink

This is by far, my absolute favorite post not only by you, but y anyone! The squares look yummy too~ but what makes it is the personal story that goes with it. I am going to make these…and think happy thoughts of finding hubbies! 🙂 {I have a hubby-I meant happy thoughts of how everyone finds thier match!}

19. Alexa
    Posted December 19, 2009 at 11:17 AM | Permalink

This treat looks so festive and pretty! I can see how it would have made an impression on your husband when he was growing up.
    Thanks for your kind words Robin Sue–it's fun to be back! Happy Holidays!

20. unconfidentialcook
    Posted December 19, 2009 at 1:42 PM | Permalink

Thank God my husband's mother didn't cook. Now everything I make is The Best. Love your love story.

21. JennyMac
    Posted December 19, 2009 at 2:24 PM | Permalink

These kinda remind me of the lemon squares but with pineapple filling. Yummy!

22. Michelle
    Posted December 19, 2009 at 3:05 PM | Permalink

The Pineapple Squares are so pretty with the green and red candied cherries and perfect for the season!

23. Lori
    Posted December 19, 2009 at 11:59 PM | Permalink

Oh Robin, I just loved that story. So sweet. Loved this part, "thought he was boring, went out with him anyway". Good for you. Paid off big.

Love these squares. I have enver seen them before.

BTW- I love your new picture. Its a great picture.

24. Sophie
    Posted December 20, 2009 at 4:42 AM | Permalink

Another Grand post from you!!

These squares look apart & ooh so delicious, Robin Sue!

25. Anonymous
    Posted December 20, 2009 at 10:36 AM | Permalink

This is my first comment even though I read your blog quite often. I have made several of your creations, but it is the color of your kitchen that I want to duplicate. Can you share the color name of the big red kitchen? It is beautiful. Thanks, Dianne