‘Twas the Days of Christmas

‘Twas the days before Christmas, when all round the house, the white stuff fell to be dug by Himself;

The cousins all posed by the chimney with care,
we finally got a good shot without a single glare;

Daelyn and Mia snuggled together while we sang,
“Happy Birthday!” to our small precious, princess gang;

And Ma in her apron, and I in mine too,
made the ravioli, we had plenty to do;

While she mixed the filling and I rolled the dough,
we got the task done in a graceful, smooth flow.

Christmas Salad
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a salad to make, and eight ingredients so dear,
With Ma as my helper, so lively and quick,
we baked up some ricotta a little kitchen trick.
More rapid than eagles our toppings they came,
And we whisked, and chopped, and called them by name;
“Now, Shallots! now, Pecans! now, Craisens and Ricotta!
On, Spinach! on Romaine! on, Sun-dried Tomatoes and Fried Pancetta!
To the top of the platter! a vinaigrette to it all!
Now toss away! toss away! toss away all!”

As I drew in my head, and was turning around,
Himself covered Zuzu’s face, he’s such a clown;

Then is was my turn to join the pranks,
I poked Dryden’s nose and tickled his flanks;

Finally in the end we got a nice family photo,
along with Deven’s sweater he’s worn three years in a row.

We spoke not a word, but went straight to our work,
Making Christmas brunch; and put the coffee to perk.
I made the Eggs Benedict, Ma the Hot Fruit Salad,
I promise to soon end this silly, little ballad.

More so than gifts from the kitchen and food,
it is our friends and family that makes life so good;

So during this season while we remember the birth of Christ,
“Happy Christmas and New Year to all, and to all a good-night.”

Big Red Kitchen with see you all back in 2010!

1. Karen
    Posted December 28, 2009 at 1:19 PM | Permalink

Very creative! Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas. Happy New Year!

2. Joan Nova
    Posted December 28, 2009 at 1:41 PM | Permalink

I'm smiling from ear-to-ear…bravo!

3. Katherine
    Posted December 28, 2009 at 1:58 PM | Permalink

Adorable!

4. oneordinaryday
    Posted December 28, 2009 at 2:18 PM | Permalink

Very creative, Robin Sue!
    What a sweet Nativity. Where'd you find those blocks?

5. Anonymous
    Posted December 28, 2009 at 2:41 PM | Permalink

LOVE your nativity set? Please tell me where you bought it!

Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Angela

6. tamilyn
    Posted December 28, 2009 at 3:00 PM | Permalink

I love it Robin!

Posted December 28, 2009 at 3:51 PM | Permalink

Michelle and Angela- It is an Haba wooden nativity set I purchased years ago in Germany. You can get one sort of like it at Amazon.

8. Jenn@slim-shoppin
    Posted December 28, 2009 at 6:37 PM | Permalink

Love the pictures!!

It sounds like you guys had a great Holiday!!

Happy New Year to you and your family as well!!!

9. KJ
    Posted December 28, 2009 at 6:41 PM | Permalink

Seriously so cute!

Your dad looks so happy in that photo! (And everyone in all the photos..sweet.)

10. Shannon
    Posted December 28, 2009 at 9:11 PM | Permalink

That was awesome- you're certainly a woman of many talents!!!
    Next Christmas will you come to my house and cook dinner?
    Happy New Year, Robin!!!

11. Fallon
    Posted December 28, 2009 at 10:24 PM | Permalink

Happy New Years!

12. Rate This Recipe!!
    Posted December 28, 2009 at 10:50 PM | Permalink

Wow, awesome egg benedict!

13. theUngourmet
    Posted December 28, 2009 at 11:18 PM | Permalink

I love the Nativity set! :0) Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

14. Alexa
    Posted December 28, 2009 at 11:28 PM | Permalink

Lovely pictures, Robin Sue. Your family is beautiful. It looks like your Christmas celebration was filled with joy, good food and family fun.
    Have a wonderful New Year's celebration and warmest wishes for 2010!

15. Lisa
    Posted December 29, 2009 at 12:38 AM | Permalink

Very cute! Love the baked ricotta idea. Merry Christmas and Happy New year!

16. Grace
    Posted December 29, 2009 at 6:42 AM | Permalink

i love your poem, i love your pictures, i love your scrumptious eggs benedict. happy christmas indeed!

17. That Girl
    Posted December 29, 2009 at 11:57 AM | Permalink

OMG OMG OMG I love your eggs benedict!

18. Sabrina
    Posted December 29, 2009 at 3:18 PM | Permalink

Love it! You are so creative. See you in 2010.

19. DailyChef
    Posted December 29, 2009 at 5:05 PM | Permalink

Adorable pictures…except for the eggs benedict. That one just looks yummy. =)

20. Sheila
    Posted December 29, 2009 at 9:00 PM | Permalink

Has Deven been giving you some poetry lessons? That was great! Love the picture, too. And the eggs benedict, in muffin tins? I should have figured that out sooner:)

Happy New Year!

21. Mimi
    Posted December 29, 2009 at 9:24 PM | Permalink

I love your poem! You are so creative. The pictures are wonderful.
    Have a Happy New Year!
    Mimi

22. Ingrid
    Posted December 29, 2009 at 10:51 PM | Permalink

LOL, very creative and cute! Glad to hear you had a wonderful Christmas. Happy New Year!
    ~ingrid

23. amy grace
    Posted December 30, 2009 at 1:39 PM | Permalink

so cute!

24. biz319
    Posted December 31, 2009 at 2:34 PM | Permalink

Loved this post RobinSue! Glad you had such a great Christmas and Happy New Year my friend!

25. unconfidentialcook
    Posted December 31, 2009 at 2:48 PM | Permalink

Happy New Year to you and your beautiful family, too!