French Toast Sticks

This morning I made up a recipe for French Toast Sticks that yielded crispy exteriors and soft, bread-like centers. These reminded me of Forrelli Italian Lady Fingers. These were more on the pastry side of French Toast with a rich cinnamon flavor and went better with icing than maple syrup. These were perfect for my children’s lunch boxes.

French Toast Sticks
1 package 4 ct. King’s Hawaiian Snacker Rolls
4 large eggs whisked with 1 T. milk

1 1/2 cup sugar
4 tsp. cinnamon

In a large zip-top bag shake together sugar and cinnamon. Cut rolls apart and split open. Cut each roll piece lengthwise into 3 strips. You should get 24 total. Dip, 4 at a time, bread strips into egg mix. Place the strips into the bag and seal and shake until well coated. Place the strips on a parchment lined large baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the strips. Bake in a 375 degree CONVECTION oven for 15 minutes. If you do not have a convection setting be sure to turn the baking sheet midway through baking time and they may take a few minutes longer. The strips will be slightly browned and flaky, crispy. Very delicate and flavorful. Makes 24 pieces.

Note- Serve with a simple icing made from milk and powdered sugar with a splash of vanilla. To reheat, place in the microwave, covered with a paper towel and heat for about 20 seconds, just enough to take the chill off. Also good at room temperature.

Super Bowl recipes will be in this Friday’s Newsletter, don’t miss a bite!

Tomorrow I will be announcing Big Red Kitchen’s first ever event! Hint- it has to do with…RED! Be sure to come back.

1. Natalie
    Posted January 26, 2010 at 10:44 AM | Permalink

ah this totally brings me back to my childhood when i loved french toast sticks! such a fun homemade version!

2. Karen
    Posted January 26, 2010 at 12:21 PM | Permalink

These look yummy! I love the King's bread, but hadn't seen the snackers up 'til now… will have to look for them!

3. Blackberry Jam Cafe
    Posted January 26, 2010 at 1:04 PM | Permalink

What a great idea! Looking forward to your first ever event. I'm going to follow so I don't miss it – stop by and see me!
    Susan

4. Fallon
    Posted January 26, 2010 at 1:35 PM | Permalink

So cute! I use to make these on the stove top but in the oven is so much easier!

5. Patsyk
    Posted January 26, 2010 at 1:59 PM | Permalink

Yum! I love that you were able to get them to have that crisp exterior!

6. DailyChef
    Posted January 26, 2010 at 3:07 PM | Permalink

Wow, these look amazing. No reason I can't just make these for Super Bowl =P

7. grace
    Posted January 26, 2010 at 3:09 PM | Permalink

excellent semi-homemade-type meal, robin sue! sandra lee would be proud and i would be fully satisfied. 🙂

8. Sabrina
    Posted January 26, 2010 at 4:21 PM | Permalink

Hmmm, haven't ever seen the 'snackers' but then again I have never looked. I will be on the hunt now. Because those look delish!

9. EAT!
    Posted January 26, 2010 at 6:05 PM | Permalink

Yea! Breakfast tomorrow. I have not seen those rolls but I will now be on the lookout. I may have to make a substitution.

10. unconfidentialcook
    Posted January 26, 2010 at 7:22 PM | Permalink

Love the idea of doing rolls. I have just started making French toast again. I'm going to try TJs brioche rolls.

11. Ingrid
    Posted January 26, 2010 at 10:36 PM | Permalink

They sound prefect. I don't like then the bread stays soggy after cooking it.

Btw, those snack rolls are the perfect size. I love 'em.
    ~ingrid

12. sophia
    Posted January 26, 2010 at 11:47 PM | Permalink

Oh, how much fun! I would love to dip them in a soft-boiled egg!

13. Lori
    Posted January 31, 2010 at 10:29 AM | Permalink

My kids would go crazy over these. Yum.

14. countrylane
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM | Permalink

Boy these sounded delicious, but wow were they sweet. Made them for my grandkids this am and even they thought they were to sweet for breakfast, shocker! I used texas toast bread cut into 1/3. Also found it easier to put cinnamon/sugar on a plate , lightly dip one side, flip to dip other side and put on griddle to do in oven. Used regular oven set at 375.