Happy New Year 2010

Time flies! It has been one whole week since we set Big Red Kitchen up for our New Year’s Eve celebration. This year we decided to stay home, too many crazies on the road. We invited our friends over to ring in the new decade with us, this is their first in the US, for the last nine they have been in Germany. Funny thing, 10 years ago Himself and I were in Germany bringing in Y2K with friends and it wasn’t until last Thursday that I realized a decade had whizzed by us. The decade we got out of the Army, moved to Virginia, Himself started a new career, we adopted Daelyn, and settled down in the Big Red Kitchen. The decade my blog was born.

I blinged out BRK with all the New Year hoopla and we all got a kick out of everyone trying on hats and beads and blowing horns- all. night. long.

I thought it would be fun to do Fondue. Everyone likes fondue, right?

Here are the items I served with our Cheese Fondue:
Cherry Tomatoes
Cheese Tortellini
Organic Corn Chips

For Dessert and Good Luck:
A Giant Sweet Soft Pretzel
Raspberry Jam Berliners

We grazed all night long.

A highlight for the children were huge frosty mugs of Root Beer, something new to our Scottish and German friends. I like to keep my mugs in the freezer, right there on the door. The kids LOVED this. This is their version of those Captain Morgan commercials.

After a fun night of ringing in the New Year and waking all our neighbors with our horn blowing, poppers, and shouting, we went to bed. But that’s not all, no, no, no. We have a little tradition of going to my brother’s for our Good Luck Supper of Pork and Sauerkraut and Black-Eyed Peas. So delicious as always Rob.

I hope you all had a wonderful New Year’s Eve celebration. This time of year is always a reflective time for me. Good things are happening here in the BRK as my team of friends, family, and Life Planners have been busy encouraging me to Dream Big and not only dream, but do it. Soon you will see some of my dreams come true.

PS– I don’t believe so much in luck, it is just a great excuse to eat those yummy foods.

1. noble pig
    Posted January 7, 2010 at 10:41 PM | Permalink

What a fun party and I love the idea of raosting the cauli for dipping…so awesome!!

2. Karen
    Posted January 8, 2010 at 11:04 AM | Permalink

Looks like everybody had a good time with plenty of yummy food. Love the pic of the kids!

3. Alison
    Posted January 8, 2010 at 11:31 AM | Permalink

You are the first person I have met down here that also eats pork and sauerkraut for luck on New Years!

My family also has a tradition of fondue on New Year's Eve as well. How fun!

4. biz319
    Posted January 8, 2010 at 12:23 PM | Permalink

What a great idea to do fondue! I didn't realize TJ's sold fondue cheese, I'll have to check that out next time I go there.

Glad to see you back and can't wait to see what 2010 brings to the BRK!

5. Joan Nova
    Posted January 8, 2010 at 12:29 PM | Permalink

Another fun time in the BRK. I like your fondue table selections and giving the kids frosty beers. And I'm so curious…can't wait for your announcements.

6. Mimi
    Posted January 8, 2010 at 12:57 PM | Permalink

Looks like a good start to the new year.
    Mimi

7. michelle@thedomesticmama
    Posted January 8, 2010 at 4:30 PM | Permalink

yay! Fun times!

8. Lisa
    Posted January 8, 2010 at 6:18 PM | Permalink

The fondue sounds wonderful and your party looks like fun! I'm a fan of a DIY New Year's Eve party.

Lovely black eyed peas. Here's to prosperity and luck in the new year!

9. Penny
    Posted January 8, 2010 at 7:32 PM | Permalink

Looks like you had as much fun as we did. Happy New Year Robin Sue. I am anxious to hear what you have in store for us this year.

10. Penny
    Posted January 8, 2010 at 7:36 PM | Permalink

Oh, I forgot. I love the picture of you in the glasses. Too funny!

11. EAT!
    Posted January 8, 2010 at 10:13 PM | Permalink

Happy New Year Robin Sue! Parties at home with friends are the best ones.

I will have to check out th TJs fondues.

12. sheila
    Posted January 8, 2010 at 11:40 PM | Permalink

I just found your blog tonight and had to comment on your Christmas poem. I have a son, Nick, whose nickname is Zuzu. It was fun to see that in your poem. I have never heard of anybody (other that the female Zuzu in "It's a Wonderful Life") with that name! He's 25 now and we still call him Zu. When he was about 11, he told us he liked the name because when we would lose each other at a store and we would yell "Zu", he knew it was us looking for him!

13. pigpigscorner
    Posted January 9, 2010 at 6:40 AM | Permalink

That sounds like fun! Love the glasses. Happy 2010!

Posted January 9, 2010 at 11:51 AM | Permalink

Sheila- thanks for stopping in, Zuzu is a cute name and our Deven likes it too. Like you I have not heard it used other than on It's a Wonderful Life- a favorite movie of ours. Now there are 2 Zuzu's in the world!!

15. oneordinaryday
    Posted January 9, 2010 at 8:20 PM | Permalink

Sounds like a fun (and delicious) way to welcome the new year, Robin Sue!

16. grace
    Posted January 10, 2010 at 12:35 PM | Permalink

i love the shot of the kids goofing off–too cute. sounds like your decade was incredible–congratulations on all your blessings and all that you achieved!

17. unconfidentialcook
    Posted January 11, 2010 at 5:17 PM | Permalink

Where's the chocolate fondu for dessert? HA! Really looks fantastic!!! What a spread…I bet it was a blast (and yummy!).

18. Dolce
    Posted January 11, 2010 at 10:19 PM | Permalink

All the best in 2010 for you as well! Love the picture with the boys dancing!!

19. Sandy
    Posted January 12, 2010 at 12:43 AM | Permalink

Oh, Happy New Year to you! Love this. Can you believe I've never had a fondue party? My guest tomorrow is talking about hers 🙂 btw, I'd love for you to be my guest, if you are interested!? Email me.

Hope you have a fantastic 10201.

20. Ingrid
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 12:35 PM | Permalink

🙂 Wishing you and your family all the best!
    ~ingrid

21. Amber
    Posted January 17, 2010 at 10:54 PM | Permalink

Love the photo of you with the glasses. Now I have to go back and check the food. Fun party.