How to Host a “Freezer Meal Making Party”- Including 6 Chicken Recipes

Are you looking for a way to save time in the kitchen? Aren’t we all. Several years ago I developed a logical way to assemble a variety of chicken dishes at the same time, thus saving time and money. I have shared the chart with multiple friends and lady’s groups and a few times met with friends to assemble the meals together, a kind of productive Ladies Night Out. Below explains how I hosted the party and the chart to get you started. Be creative and develop some of your own recipes. Don’t forget, you can always alter, cut in half, or double the recipes to fit your needs. Host a Freezer Meal Party for your friends or co-workers and get that freezer stocked.

Here is how it’s done…

1. From the chart, and as a group, chose which recipes to make and a date for the meeting. At least a week out gives everyone time to prepare.
2. One member volunteers their home for the assembling of the recipes and shops for all the ingredients and ziptop freezer bags needed minus the chicken. The hostess must remember to multiply each recipe’s ingredients times the number of members.
3. The members bring their own chicken. This allows them to chose the cut, amount, and quality (ex. organic) that they desire. This also gives everyone the opportunity to shop the sales.
4. The hostess divides the ingredient grocery bill among all of the group members, the hostess does not pay. I think it cost us all about $5.00-$7.00 each. Members pay the hostess upon arrival.
5. The hostess prepares her home by setting out large ziptop freezer bags, measuring spoons and cups, cutting boards and knives, ingredients, a Sharpie to date the bags, and anything else needed for the assembly. He/She does not forget the cocktails!
6. The members bring their chicken in coolers on ice. They could also take home their bags of marinades and add the chicken later but it is best to complete the entire job that night and simply throw it in the freezer when they get home.
7. The members divide in small groups, each taking a recipe or two to assemble. Each group works like an assembly line starting with one ingredient and adding that amount to as many bags as there are members. Once the marinades are made, bagged, and divided, each member adds their own chicken. Sometimes, last minute, a group member may not make it so it is nice if the members assemble their marinades for them and deliver it or hold it in their freezer for the person to pick up later. At home they add their own chicken.
8. After assembly, the members all clean the hostess’ kitchen, place the chicken bags in their coolers, and share a delicious dessert over a pot of coffee, provided by the hostess.

Below is the chart you will need to host your own Freezer Meal Making Party. Download and give a copy to each member of your group.

Chicken Freezer Meal Party

May I suggest some desserts for your Freezer Meal Party…click here.

Not in the mood for a freezer meal party? No problem, I have made these all by my little lonesome and did just fine.

*The above photo was taken of Dryden in 2006 at my SIL Donna’s house, she keeps the cutest little chickens that lay the cutest little eggs.

Don’t forget Big Red Kitchen’s RED event- National Wear Red Day®

1. EAT!
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 8:03 AM | Permalink

A little inspiration, and look at you go. You are my idol.

2. Aggie
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 8:28 AM | Permalink

I love it! I've wanted to do something like this with a friend or alone thanks for the advice! Freezer meals are the best!

3. grace
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 10:58 AM | Permalink

well isn't this a handy dandy little post! great tips, robin sue–that hawaiian chicken recipe is most appealing.

4. Dawn
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 11:08 AM | Permalink

you are a creative little on aren't you? I need more freezer space. I bet you have an extra fridge in the basement or garage?

5. oneordinaryday
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 11:09 AM | Permalink

You are so organized, Robin Sue. I wish you were my neighbor and could get me to stock my freezer like that. Great idea. Now to just kick my butt into gear, eh?

6. Mimi
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 1:19 PM | Permalink

You are so organized, this is a great idea.
    Mimi

7. Maria
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 2:13 PM | Permalink

Great tips! Being organized is the key:)

8. Rindy R
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 3:56 PM | Permalink

I was so lucky to attend one of your "Chicken Parties"! I loved everything I made that night and had fun assembling as well! Now that is a great way to cook!

9. alanna rose
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 4:35 PM | Permalink

This is great – I bet the ladies in my moms group would love to get together and do this!

10. biz319
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 4:49 PM | Permalink

Wow, and I thought I was organized – thanks so much for these recipes – chicken breasts are on sale for $1.29 this week too!

11. pigpigscorner
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 5:43 PM | Permalink

WOW very organised! My freezer is tiny!

12. Karen
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 5:47 PM | Permalink

Whoa! This is way too organized for me 😉 Great idea and it sounds like fun to make a party of it. Rec'd your newsletter today and am thinking of the jalapeno popper dip for football day! Lots of good ideas in it for goodies while watching TV!

13. Sheila
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 11:12 PM | Permalink

Does this mean you would come to my house if I hosted a chicken meal party? Chicken is always on the menu in our house.

Oh, my word! Your blog looks great; what a nice face lift (sorry, couldn't think of a better phrase since it looked great before and looks fantastic now).

14. Hannah
    Posted January 30, 2010 at 8:02 PM | Permalink

I just did this today after braving the snow and sickness to buy chicken. It's going to make my life so much easier to have six meals ready to go! Awesome idea, Robin!

15. Lori
    Posted January 31, 2010 at 10:28 AM | Permalink

A fantastic idea but now I need friends locally who cook. Ha ha. I REALLY need some foodie friends.

You are so clever Robin!

16. noble pig
    Posted January 31, 2010 at 5:44 PM | Permalink

You are seriously my hero, OMG you are so organized and you never cease to amaze me. Never.

17. Velva
    Posted January 31, 2010 at 9:17 PM | Permalink

This is a fabulous idea. What a great way for friends to get together and prepare meals for their family at a reasonable cost. I love it!!!

I hope that you will post more of these types of ideas.

18. Jenn@slim-shoppin
    Posted February 1, 2010 at 2:57 PM | Permalink

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing all those recipes.

Awesome!

19. stacy
    Posted February 1, 2010 at 5:49 PM | Permalink

Your chart is priceless! I forwarded the link to about a dozen friends – new as well as sage cooks – whom I think will truly use it forever!

Posted February 1, 2010 at 9:02 PM | Permalink

Thanks for all the compliments everyone. I really hope this chart helps each and every one of you. Let me know how it goes for you.

Hannah- I am glad you already made all of your chicken marinades. Makes Jon a happy man!

21. Cyndi Egold
    Posted July 8, 2012 at 1:54 PM | Permalink

Hi Robin Sue – love your website, especially the mason jar meals!! I only recently heard this idea and hadn’t seen anyone actually doing it! Your freezer meal workshop is something I’ve been involved with before. I work with a company called Wildtree that produces healthy delicious grape seed oils, spice blends, etc., with no preservatives, additives, GMO, and as part of our in-home demonstrations, we also do freezer meal workshops — it’s great fun. Check out the products if you have a chance or any interest — http://www.mywildtree.com/cyndiegold. I can send you some sample meal plans for the workshops we do if you are interested. Have a healthful day! I commend you on your Crossfit training — have looked into it, but am still scared!