National Wear Red Day®

Friends it is time to get your red on! Friday, February 5th is National Wear Red Day® hosted by The National Heart Lung and Blood Institute to encourage women to better understand their own heart health, risk factors, and ways to decrease heart disease among women. My specialty in nursing was cardiothoracic medicine, in other words I took care of people’s hearts and lungs. The longer I practiced the more I noticed an ever increasing amount of female cardiac patients who were getting younger instead of older and the amount of female cardiac patients was gaining on the male cardiac patients!

What was going on? It came down to more women adopting poor health practices like smoking, fatty diets, weight gain, lack of exercise, and busier schedules that lead to stress. I’ve taught hundreds of people, positive and healthy ways to prevent heart disease. The first step is know what heart disease is, your risk factors, and ways to avoid heart disease. Here are some links to get you started…

Lower Heart Disease Risk
What is Heart Disease
What are the Risk Factors for Heart Disease
How Do I Find Out if I Am at Risk For Heart Disease?
Get the Word Out!

Join Big Red Kitchen’s National Wear Red Day® Event by…

1. Posting a Heart, Healthy Recipe on your site between now and Feb. 4th.
2. Email your post link and permission to use a photo of your recipe to bigredkitchen (at) yahoo (dot) com by Feb 4th 6 pm EST.
3. Once the roundup goes live at 6 am EST on Feb 5th, let your readers know by placing a link on your site to the roundup so that they can see your name in lights the the other heart, healthy recipes.
4. Also for giggles and completely optional but encouraged, send me a picture of you in red or provide one on your post so I can post it here with your recipe. Dazzle us with your red ladies and gents!

Ideas for Heart Healthy Recipes
Mayo Clinic
NHLBI Recipe Book

Who will join me?
Sisters, mothers, aunties, girlfriends, wives, and daughters, and all men who love their sisters, mothers, aunties, girlfriends, wives, and daughters join Big Red Kitchen in getting the word out and the RED on! See you on the 5th in RED!

*Logo is from the NHLBI website, get one for your site.

1. Fallon
    Posted January 27, 2010 at 11:46 AM | Permalink

This is wonderful! I hope between now and the 4th I'll be able to come up with something heart healthy! I usually don't have to think about it when cooking but now I want to make sure it will be just right for this event!

2. Ingrid
    Posted January 27, 2010 at 12:37 PM | Permalink

Very cool! I'm going to try and find a recipe to make and blog about. This is probably a totally stupid question but how do I know a heart healthy recipe from one that's not? The amount of fat in the ingredient list? Thx!
    ~ingrid

Posted January 27, 2010 at 1:10 PM | Permalink

Hi Ingrid,
    Heart Healthy is a recipe that is low in fat and uses healthy oils like olive. So dishes of lean meats such as fish, chicken, and lean red meat, lots of vegetables and fruit. Sites like the American Heart Association has some ideas for recipes too. I am going to make a nice rosemary grilled chicken dish and then see about dessert! Thanks!

4. Mimi
    Posted January 27, 2010 at 5:34 PM | Permalink

Great idea. I hope to be able to post a heart healthy recipe.
    Mimi

5. Anonymous
    Posted January 27, 2010 at 7:51 PM | Permalink

I saw this posted at work the other day. I bought the Swarovski Red Crystal Dress Pin several years ago! Gotta polish her up for that day!

6. oneordinaryday
    Posted January 27, 2010 at 8:00 PM | Permalink

Great idea! Wheels need to start turning around here…

7. biz319
    Posted January 27, 2010 at 10:10 PM | Permalink

What a great idea Robin Sue! Count me in! 😀

8. Maria
    Posted January 27, 2010 at 10:42 PM | Permalink

What a fun event. Great way to spread the red!

9. Sabrina
    Posted January 28, 2010 at 5:55 PM | Permalink

Since it has be months since I posted maybe this will be my motivation. Support the heart and lungs!

10. Claudia
    Posted January 28, 2010 at 9:50 PM | Permalink

I need to be more "heart aware", as we've been having way too much cream and butter lately. A good reason to support this day, and consider alternatives.

11. Jenn@slim-shoppin
    Posted January 28, 2010 at 11:47 PM | Permalink

That's great to shine a spotlight on this!!

I'll get you a healthy recipe for sure!

12. comfycook
    Posted February 3, 2010 at 5:16 PM | Permalink

I just put up a chicken chile which will have tomatoes in it. I must have seen this yesterday but did not spend enough time reading it but it was in the back of my mind anyway.

Now, all I have to do is remember to post it.

13. Sweet and Savory
    Posted February 4, 2010 at 12:15 AM | Permalink

You might want to put this at the beginning of the blog on your home page so others can see it, first thing. Not everyone checks that many recipes.

As soon as I get my post up, I will mention it, on my two blogs.

Thanks for visiting Comfy Cook. I needed the reminder.