Big Red Kitchen’s Valentine’s Day Edition: Bananas Foster

Related Posts:
Valentine’s Day Candy Leis
Peanut Butter Blossoms and the Worst Valentine’s Days Ever!
Chocolate Pots de Crème
Knock You Naked Brownies

Chocolate Schmocolate. Yes I get it, chocolate is the food of romance and number one choice for Valentine’s Day but I think FIRE is more dramatic. I believe Valentine’s Day became a holiday for lovers because the martyred Valentine wrote a note to his jailer’s daughter just before his execution. He signed it “From your Valentine.” We are not sure if this blind girl was a friend, confidant, or lover but it being such a tragic story must be one of lost love, mustn’t it? If she were only a pal, the story bears less interest and wouldn’t even have made it in our modern day newspapers, it just wouldn’t sell. It had to have been a tragic romance, right? Well no one really knows but what is missed of the tale is that as a Christian, Valentine refused to worship Caesar thus bringing his own demise. Valentine loved Someone worthy of dying for.

Here is a dessert that not only is romantic but very exciting as well. I do have a history with flames but felt confident that I could flambé without injury. This dish is not only flavorful, but entertaining. Who doesn’t like a good dinner followed by a show? Ingnite the flames of romance, throw caution to the wind, let love be your guide…blech, just make this for your family, friends, or lover, it’s a classic and they will love you for it.

Bananas Foster– adapted from Brennan’s
2 T. butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 shot banana liqueur
2 bananas, cut in half lengthwise, then halved
1 shot dark rum
4 scoops coffee ice cream

Combine the butter, sugar, and cinnamon in a flambé pan or skillet. Place the pan over low heat either on an alcohol burner or on top of the stove, and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Stir in the banana liqueur, then place the bananas in the pan. When the banana sections soften and begin to brown, carefully add the rum. Continue to cook the sauce until the rum is hot, then tip the pan slightly to ignite the rum. When the flames subside, lift the bananas out of the pan and place four pieces over each portion of ice cream. Generously spoon warm sauce over the top of the ice cream and serve immediately. Serves 2.

Note– If you do not have any of these alcohols available, the dish is still delicious, not as exciting, but still delicious all the same.

Love is the irresistible desire to be loved irresistibly.
Happy Valentine’s Day.

Robin Sue

1. dawn
    Posted February 12, 2010 at 4:28 PM | Permalink

I love this! Have you ever made this into an ice cream? Love the pic of your kitchen.

2. Nicole
    Posted February 12, 2010 at 4:50 PM | Permalink

Looks so good! My favorite way to have bananas foster is over cheesecake. It's to die for!!

3. Sabrina
    Posted February 12, 2010 at 5:40 PM | Permalink

yummy. but i don't trust myself to make it. maybe the man will.

4. DailyChef
    Posted February 12, 2010 at 6:40 PM | Permalink

yummmm. I second the cheesecake comment. But your picture looks amazing on its own.

5. Karen
    Posted February 12, 2010 at 7:09 PM | Permalink

Nice video! When my daughter was a young teen, we would make these using only the butter, brown sugar & bananas. She loved them. I think I'll make them for her next time I visit.

6. Ingrid
    Posted February 12, 2010 at 11:16 PM | Permalink

Banana desserts are a fave at my house. I've made this before but didn't flambe it. I will next time!

Happy Valentine's Day!
    ~ingrid

7. Fallon
    Posted February 13, 2010 at 12:21 AM | Permalink

Great video! My father use to make this dessert in an Italian restaurant he worked at and would make it for me at home for special occasions! It really is a simple dessert to make but looks really cool! Going to bookmark this one for my boyfriend, maybe I'll surprise him with it one night when he gets back!

8. Peter M
    Posted February 13, 2010 at 8:08 AM | Permalink

R-Sue, good intro on Valentines and yes, heat is good and so is sauce…all the better to lick! lol

Nice addition with the video and the flambe…more video please!

9. oneordinaryday
    Posted February 13, 2010 at 11:48 AM | Permalink

Love the video, Robin! I would be terrified to try it myself. We caught a dish towel on fire before Christmas and that's enough stovetop flame for us for a while. : )

10. Memória
    Posted February 13, 2010 at 11:22 PM | Permalink

Great video! Thanks for posting it!

11. Mary
    Posted February 14, 2010 at 12:13 AM | Permalink

Yum! Looks great. Love this dish – it's one of my favorite restaurant dishes to get because of the whole table presentation! Happy Valentine's Day.

12. grace
    Posted February 14, 2010 at 9:02 AM | Permalink

"Ingnite the flames of romance, throw caution to the wind, let love be your guide…blech."

yes. my thoughts exactly. i love chocolate desserts, but i sincerely feel that flaming bananas trumps 'em every time. 🙂

13. noble pig
    Posted February 14, 2010 at 11:54 AM | Permalink

Very yummy and Happy Valentines to you!

14. 12th Man Training Table
    Posted February 15, 2010 at 1:37 PM | Permalink

I never really understood why bread pudding is considered the quintessential New Orleans dessert when Bananas Foster kicks its doughy butt in every category.

15. Jenn@slim-shoppin
    Posted February 15, 2010 at 3:07 PM | Permalink

Look at you, doing a video! Love it! I've actually had the privilege of eating bananas foster at Brennan's in New Orleans. It is so good.

I never would have thought of making it at home!

16. Velva
    Posted February 15, 2010 at 8:15 PM | Permalink

My husband ooooh, and ahhhhs everytime he get an opportunity to enoy bananas foster. Thanks for sharing. This is truly a romantic dish.

17. grahamstravelblog
    Posted February 15, 2010 at 9:39 PM | Permalink

Congrats on the video, it was great. This is one of my favorite desserts though I skip on the banana liqueur and double up on the rum. Out of curiosity, what kind of dark rum are you using. I tend to use a dark Jamaican rum such as Meyer's Dark or Coruba if I can find it.

The last time I flambed something, I didn't tell my wife what I was doing and she was quite surprised when 3 foot flames came out of the saute pan.

I'm also in the habit of adding some nuts to this dish. Walnuts are traditional, but we like pecans better in this dessert.

Also, I'm in the habit of taking the pan off the fire before adding the rum and then tipping the pan into the fire. I believe that this is because if you add it on the fire then there's a chance that it can ignite instantly and catch your hand on fire.

Remember, you are dealing with a very hot sugar syrup (which sticks to things like skin) and fire. Have a tight fitting lid near by and a box of baking soda in case things get out of hand.

18. biz319
    Posted February 15, 2010 at 9:44 PM | Permalink

Ah, bananas foster. I worked at a restaurant where I had to make that tableside – it was always a big event, although the first time I tried it myself, I may have put a wee too much alcohol in, because I almost singed my bangs the flames were so high!

19. Nina Timm
    Posted February 16, 2010 at 7:33 AM | Permalink

I can surely do with a banana sugar fix right now!!! Looks incredible!!!

20. Penny
    Posted February 17, 2010 at 11:45 AM | Permalink

I loved your video! And the bananas foster brings back so many memories – I used to make this all of the time. Will have to try it again. Good job Robin Sue.

21. Lori
    Posted February 22, 2010 at 10:16 PM | Permalink

Absolutely yummy. I havent had this in a LONG time.

22. Lisa
    Posted February 26, 2010 at 4:28 PM | Permalink

You are so right! Fire definitely trumps chocolate! It is hard to photograph though. You did a fantastic job!

I love that you served the bananas with coffee ice cream. That sounds like a perfect combination!

23. gfe--gluten free easily
    Posted February 27, 2010 at 10:48 AM | Permalink

Wonderful video and fabulous dessert dish! It's nice when there's a good reason to have flames in the kitchen 😉 and coffee ice cream is a great idea. 🙂 Love that quote at the end … how true!

Shirley