Joining FOODalogue in Argentina: Arrollado con Dulce de Leche

Today I am joining Joan from FOODalogue in Argentina. Joan is hosting a South of the Border Culinary Tour. When I think of Argentina I think Empanadas but with the snow we just had I did not have a chance to get out and get the ingredients I needed- I did wait until last minute as usual. So I made dessert since I had all of the ingredients in my home. Well I should say sort of. I had a can of sweetened condensed milk that when boiled for 4 hours magically turned to dulce de leche.

One of my co-workers brings this cake roll to many of our school functions with rave reviews and recipe requests. It is a classic Argentinian dessert that bakes up light and fluffy then while still hot from the oven is spread with dulce de leche and then rolled. After a bit of cooling, it is sliced and sprinkled with powdered sugar. The caramel flavor shines through in this cake. If you want a cake in a flash, this would be the one. From start to finish, I completed it in 20 minutes. I am looking forward to Joan’s Argentina Culinary Roundup on Feb. 3rd. I am hoping to see some creative variations of Empanadas.

Arrollado con Dulce de Leche
1 cup self rising flour
1 cup sugar
6 eggs (separated)
1 t. Vanilla
One can dulce de leche, 13.4 ounces*

Beat egg whites until fluffy add sugar until soft peaks form, then add egg yolks, flour, and vanilla. Line an 11x15x1 inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper, be sure a little over laps to assist with rolling later. Spray lightly with Pam. Spread batter evenly in pan and bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until golden and cake springs back when touched. Remove from oven and while still hot, drop spoonfuls of dulce de leche over top of cake. Wait a minute then spread evenly. Grabbing the long end of the paper, start rolling the cake toward you while pulling the paper free. Once rolled tight, wrap with the parchment paper and let cool. Once cooled slice and place on pretty platter and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serves 10-12.

Note- If you do not have self-rising flour then to one cup of all purpose flour add 1/2 tsp. kosher salt and 1 tsp baking soda.

To make your own dulce de leche, you will need one can of sweetened condensed milk. Remove lable and place can on its side in a large pot. Cover with water, about an inch over the can and cover pot. Bring to a boil and lower heat a bit and simmer for 4 hours. Be sure the can stays covered at all times with water. After 4 hours turn off heat and let the can cool. Mine did not explode and I even used a can with a pull-tab top. Someday I would like to compare the taste of this homemade version with canned dulce de leche.

Don’t forget that this Friday is the Heart Healthy Recipe Roundup, get your RED on!

1. Joan Nova
    Posted February 1, 2010 at 6:42 PM | Permalink

Thanks for the Arrollado con Dulce de Leche. It looks nice and light and it's a unique entry for the round-up. Surprisingly, only one empanada so far. Thanks for participating Robin.

2. Sandi
    Posted February 1, 2010 at 7:36 PM | Permalink

if you add Amareto liquor to the cooked condensed milk, you have the most amazing dessert. I had it served in a champagne flute with the cooked condensed milk in the bottom of the glass with a little of the liquor poured over it. Hmmmmmm!

Sandi

impatientcajun.blogspot.com

3. biz319
    Posted February 1, 2010 at 7:59 PM | Permalink

I got your newsletter today – loved it! Definitely making the jalapeno dip again – I've handed that recipe out to so many people and it always gets rave reviews!

4. Fallon
    Posted February 1, 2010 at 8:05 PM | Permalink

hmmm this cake is so yummy! I love dulce de leche, it is some amazing stuff! I was just going to ask what if I don't have self-rising flour but you already answered that at the end of the post 😉

I'm working on my heart healthy post tomorrow 😉

5. Blackberry Jam Cafe
    Posted February 1, 2010 at 9:49 PM | Permalink

This does look so light – and I love the condensed milk idea. What a great dessert! Thanks for sharing – and stopping in to see me. I'm now following so I don't miss the next wonderful thing you come up with!

6. Peter M
    Posted February 1, 2010 at 10:53 PM | Permalink

Oh yeah…dulce de leche…gets me each & every time.

7. grace
    Posted February 2, 2010 at 10:43 AM | Permalink

20 minutes! my past experiences with rolled cakes and your oh-so-quick preparation of this one lead me to believe that either i'm incompetent or you're a baking god. 🙂

8. unconfidentialcook
    Posted February 2, 2010 at 11:41 AM | Permalink

I make that dulche de leche with condensed milk for a treat over ice cream (though Emma loves it for dipping with…yes…twinkies). This does look a lot better!!! And just as easy!

9. DailyChef
    Posted February 2, 2010 at 4:06 PM | Permalink

Oh boy, my mouth is watering at your fabulous pictures. This looks amazing, and I will try it soon!

10. pigpigscorner
    Posted February 2, 2010 at 5:26 PM | Permalink

ooo yum…dulce de leche! Looks amazing! I've always wanted to make rolls like this!

11. Mimi
    Posted February 2, 2010 at 6:41 PM | Permalink

Looks delicous, dulce de leche is always a it here. It's nice to have such a quick cake to spread it on, rather than eating it straight out of the can.
    Mimi

12. Karen
    Posted February 2, 2010 at 7:33 PM | Permalink

I haven't made a rolled cakes in years! This looks so good, it'd be something I'd make for company!

13. noble pig
    Posted February 2, 2010 at 11:52 PM | Permalink

Now that is dessert, I mean wow, I want it enough to get on a plane and come get it.

14. Lynn
    Posted February 3, 2010 at 1:56 AM | Permalink

Yum, does this look good. I love the little rounds it slices into — what a great presentation 🙂

15. Ingrid
    Posted February 4, 2010 at 11:39 AM | Permalink

Yum this looks good but what I'm really lovin' is that it's done in 20 minutes! How often does that happen?
    ~ingrid

16. EAT!
    Posted February 7, 2010 at 10:34 AM | Permalink

I loved making jelly roll type cakes when I was a budding chef. They always look so impressive. I think I will be whipping this one up for the Super Bowl party we are attending today!!

Thanks for the recipe!

17. Jodi
    Posted February 9, 2010 at 3:35 AM | Permalink

A friend, and fan of your blog, made this cake last week. Fantastic!